Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 15:02

Plan: Banting
Stats: 185/183/152 Female 1,67cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Everone!

My name is Jenny. I'm new to the LCHF eatingplan. I'm on my first week and has lost 1kg.
I have a question though! We stay in a small town, far from everything and fresh foods are not always available.
So, fresh cream won't work or last long, seeing that we always need to buy bulk!
Is it safe to buy cream in a box with a long shelf life?
Also:
Someone also advised me to use Cremora in my coffee if I don't have cream.
Is this also safe to use?

Last edited by Jen V : Wed, Mar-16-16 at 15:22.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 15:09
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Jen,
Welcome to the forums. You don't say where you're from, but the 1kg would make me think Europe somewhere.

If you cannot get regular cream, I would try to take it black, or use butter or coconut oil or something. It looks like hydrogenated vegetable oil, and sugar and corn syrup!

Cream will keep a long time in the refrigerator....much longer than milk will. I hope you can find it and keep it, or get used to drinking it black.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 15:32

BF:
Progress:

Thanx for the prompt reply NEMarvin!
I'm from the West Coast in South Africa.
I absolutely loooove my coffee! And can't get used to drinking it black.
It's already hard to cut back on my cuppas a day!
I can buy fresh cream, but it can take months before we go to the nearest big town or city to buy fresh foods again.
Will the "cream-in-a-box" be a big hazard for this type of eating plan?
I guess it might slow down the weightloss, or will it stop me from loosing weight at all?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 17:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Jenny; Congratulations on starting LCHF.

The good news: you can freeze cream. Just put the carton right into your freezer. I can't get used to black coffee either.

The bad news: ingredients listed on the Cremora web site:
partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut, canola, and/or palm kernel), corn syrup solids, sugar, sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), dipotassium phosphate, monoglycerides, natural flavor, salt, silicon dioxide, sodium tripolyphosphate, vitamin E acetate, DATEM, lutein, artificial color, soy lecithin, and may contain soy products.

Their Lite & Creamy brand has similar ingredients.
The serving size of Cremora is 1 level teaspoonful, so if you use 2 or 3 teaspoonfuls, or even 1 "rounded" teaspoonful, in each cup of coffee, then you could be consuming 2g to 3g carbs per cup. If you drink 4 cups of coffee a day that way, your total carbs from just the Cremora could be as many as 12g per day! That would leave you with few carbs for everything else you might want to eat on any given day.

Corn syrup is one of the worst forms of sugar we can eat. It also contains artificially hydrogenated fats, which means if you use more than 1 tsp, you would be getting artificial trans fats.

I give you a lot of credit for LCHF in what sounds like an isolated area. Especially since this WOE involves a lot of veggies. Frozen veggies still have good nutritional value. Best of luck to you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 19:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

YES, cream freezes well and YES, it has a long shelf life and NOOOOO don't use that nasty Cremora. (Autocorrect wants to change it to remora, a truly hideous parasite fish. Appropriate, I think.)

But you can use butter and coconut oil for what's called bulletproof coffee. Be sure to blend it together, either with an immersion blender, or in an actual blender, so that it comes together, rather than stays in suspension.

Are you in a climate where you can grow your own greens? They're easy to grow, if you have cool enough nights for them.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 05:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Jen!
Always happy to see Banters here...look around the forums, 15 years of good information and recipes.

Do you follow some of the active Banting FB pages? I read this one, and often see questions about specific SA products. Maybe ask about the long-life cream there? https://www.facebook.com/groups/Banting7DayMealPlans/

From what I remember of long-life dairy products, once opened you have to use it quickly, but otherwise it is only a processing, not ingredient, difference. My guess would be it is OK assuming no added ingredients.
Another option..canned coconut milk. Many with dairy sensitivities use it, I like the flavor as a cream alternative.

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Mar-17-16 at 05:54.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 10:15
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

We have this in the UK, maybe you could find something similar:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb...hick-cream-170g
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 14:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Ultra-high temperature processing (UHT), or ultra-heat treatment, sterilizes food by heating it above 135 °C (275 °F) – the temperature required to kill spores in milk – for 1 to 2 seconds.[1] UHT is most commonly used in milk production, but the process is also used for fruit juices, cream, soy milk, yogurt, wine, soups, honey, and stews.[1] UHT milk was first developed in the 1960s and became generally available for consumption in the 1970s.[2]

The heat used during the UHT process can cause Maillard browning and change the taste and smell of dairy products.[3] An alternative process is HTST pasteurization (high temperature/short time), in which the milk is heated to 72 °C (162 °F) for at least 15 seconds.

UHT milk, if not opened, has a typical unrefrigerated shelf life of six to nine months.

Had to look this up on Wikipedia, Trader Joe's sells heavy cream off-the-shelf in tetra packs, the info says "UHT." If I had a choice between saying yes or no to cream, I'd probably say yes to this stuff.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-16, 22:44

Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yay, another Banter! Welcome Jen.

I remember watching the videos in that first free week of the online course and they blew me away. I haven't been sticking to any of the prescribed meal plans, but certainly following LCHF in my own way, sticking to the "green group" as best I can.

Tim Noakes has done so much for so many people, I'm hopeful that people will realise the insanity of the court case against him in time.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 05:16

BF:
Progress:

Hi Everybody!
Thank you all for the warm welcome! It's awesome!
Thanks also for all the info I've received. It's very helpful. Specially the detailed info re: Cremora and UHT process!
Ahhh! Can't believe I have to dump the Cremora though! I was just getting used to drinking my coffee that way! But I'm pretty sure I'll loose even more weight if I do.
But I'll definitely take you up on the advice on freezing fresh cream! I will buy fresh cream bulk next time!
Yes, we have grown our own vegetables. But unfortunately, the seeds we buy are GMO'S!
BUT; we have found a website that sells "living seeds" and will definitely get some and continue growing our own healthier veggies!
YIP! Thumbs up for Tim Noakes! This is the first diet . . . or shall I rather say; eatingplan I've been on that I can actually SEE a major difference in just a week and a half!
So far, I've lost 1,7kg altogether, not much, but there are major changes in my body that can be clearly seen! I tell ya! I'm a firm believer in banting!
Thank you also for the links to websites and facebooksites.
You are a awesome people!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 06:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have some delightful "success stories" on that Banting FB page to keep you inspired. Love the one this morning. "That laughter when you reach your dress size goal" ..so pretty and happy. You too will get there...your journey is shorter than many. All the best,