Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up Just read Neanderthin

I won't write a summary or outline of the plan, Karen already did that in our plans summary page:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...lans/index.html

But I was quite impressed by the fresh and different outlook on low-carbing.

Since I always try to grab LC books and read them whenever I have the time, I got used to the irritating marketing techniques most LC authors use to market their plan, and warn you of the dangers of every "other" LC plan. This really makes me angry, since the most stupic and nasty arguments against low-carbing, are made by low-carb authors when they trash other's LC books.

Well, Neanderthin is a fresh surprise in that department. Ray frequently mentions other LC plans, and at one point in the Q/A section recommends reading other LC books like Atkins and PP, and even recommends following any of them if you can't handle Neanderthin. Whay can't tother LC authors do that?

Another point, which I feel is true, but never read it before, is that Ray warns against the side-effects of going Paleo (and LC) and then turning back to "normal" diet, as this will make it harder to maintain weight and may case you to get easily sick as your body becomes more sensitive to the carbs and food you gave up. i.e. it's not a temporary diet, it's lifestyle change.

Excellent read, and lots of common sense, plus good research, science and history.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/131/115
BF:
Progress: 69%

Wa'il,
Well said. I saw the same things in the book while reading it last night and today. Audette even expresses much respect for other LC writers, even those that he disagrees with on some points concerning the LC WOE.

I like it when a writer honestly warns me of the possible pitfalls of the WOE that he advocates.

Dandi
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 12:23

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I'm so glad you read it, wa'il! is TSP next on your list?

If you loved Audette, you might enjoy the articles here
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 12:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
I'm so glad you read it, wa'il! is TSP next on your list?

I've read TSP I likes her usage of her medical practice cases to prove how the diabetese association is basically harming diabetics. But unfortunatelyt, I consider Dr. Schwarzbein among the authors who trash other LC palns for marketing purposes I hope I don't offend anyone one by saying this, but that's how I feel. She calles other ketogenic plans fad diets, and procedes to tell of the extreme dangers of ketosis and how it will break your lean body tissues. Sounded like a scare tactic to me. But I got used to this, as almost all LC authors do this.

I maybe too anal on this ketosis point. I'm willing to have an open mind about it, but so far no author presented any scientific proof or medical study to substantiate their claims, and there's a vast amount of scientific litrature to the contrary, not to mention simple common sense and personal experiences.

I still like those books/authors, I just consider this issue a single negative point among a vast pool of positive contributions to LC knowledge.

Wa'il

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:31
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandi
Wa'il,
Well said. I saw the same things in the book while reading it last night and today. Audette even expresses much respect for other LC writers, even those that he disagrees with on some points concerning the LC WOE.

I like it when a writer honestly warns me of the possible pitfalls of the WOE that he advocates.

Dandi

That was why I so enjoyed his book and am currently rereading it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:43

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have heard critics of Audette state that he treats his way of eating almost like a religion. Now lets see:

A young man (Audette) by age 33, severely diabetic and arthritic, walking with cane, in constant pain, miserable, tired, taking much medication, with no hope predicted by his doctors for the future and knowing that it will only get worse.

vs

Researching, putting together an eating plan that cures all his diseases and makes him feel great and gives him hope of a healthy, happy future.

hmmmm

Glad you read the book Tamarian. It's so simple to understand and follow, and Audette's got nothing to sell people but their good health.