Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 06:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low-carb buyer, beware

Low-carb buyer, beware
By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY

Low-carb products are showing up everywhere. More than 600 low-carb foods were introduced last year, varying widely in taste and texture. With such an avalanche, how are dieters supposed to figure out which ones are best?
They have two choices: Either they start trial-and-error tasting on their own, or they seek out good advice.

The first option is time-consuming and expensive. And unless they're very lucky, dieters will have to eat a lot of mediocre products before they find foods they like.

So for those who choose the second option, USA TODAY asked two experts who have sampled hundreds of these foods to pick out their favorites — and their least favorite. Our taste testers are:

• Dean Rotbart, executive editor of LowCarbiz. He follows a low-carb diet and has sampled about 750 products.

• Elaine Payne, president of www.low-carb.com, who has tasted more than 1,000 products.

The experts have different overall impressions of the foods. Too many of the products aren't very good, Rotbart says. "Many taste like flavored cardboard, but the taste of the low-carb products today, however awful, is actually much improved over what it was two years ago. In other words, it's more flavorful cardboard."

He says the industry has gotten by with charging triple the price for many products like the bars because "Americans are hungry to lose weight. They will eat flavored cardboard if someone promises them it will help them lose weight."

But he doesn't believe carb-counting consumers will buy products a second time if the taste isn't worth the cost in terms of dollars and grams of carbs.

Payne gives the products higher praise. "Manufacturers have done a pretty good job keeping the carb count low and giving consumers a decent taste, although many products aren't exactly like the real thing."

Still, she says, there are some categories that need a lot of work.

"The taste and texture of some of the low-carb cake and cookie mixes on the market leave a lot to be desired," she says. "The manufacturers have not yet been able to achieve the chewy texture many people prefer in their cookies, and the cakes tend to be dense and somewhat gummy rather than light and airy."

Another major void: a decent cracker with a light, crisp texture. The ones that are currently available "are generally of the flatbread variety and tend to taste too much of soy or have too much of a fibrous texture," Payne says.

Both taste testers agree that these foods have to eaten judiciously so that dieters don't sabotage their weight loss.

For low-carb devotees, eating a cookie from the brand-new line of SnackWells CarbWell cookies, coming out from Kraft next week, is preferable to eating a full-carb Mrs. Fields cookie, Rotbart says.

"But you don't want to go on a Mrs. Fields cookie diet, and you don't want to go on a SnackWells CarbWell cookie diet, either."

CLick on the story to see Dean and Elaine's choices for low carb bars, cereals etc:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifest...rb-treats_x.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh no... not Snackwells for low carb! Nooooo!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Low-carb buyer, beware
By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY
"But you don't want to go on a Mrs. Fields cookie diet, and you don't want to go on a SnackWells CarbWell cookie diet, either."

JUST SAY NO-noooooooooooooooooooo
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I tried Entenmann's low carb chocolate chip cookies, and I'd rather have nothing. Not worth the carbs!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:07
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm rather GLAD a lot of them taste like flavored cardboard. It keeps me from eating them!! At least I've gotten out of my "eat the whole box" mentality, or I'd be DOOMED.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:09

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh no... not Snackwells for low carb! Nooooo!

I never want my DH to become aware of these things...he was a Snackwell freak before becoming an Atkid. His reply would be, "Oh yes! Yessssss!"
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 11:41

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I am glad that I can make low carb cookies and cakes that not only taste better, but are much cheaper then the low carb crap coming out of the food industry.

As far as I am concerned, low carb bread and condiments is where they need to focus. It is hard to make decent bread and buns at home (and I can bake them normally, but low carb is tough) and while I can make my own sauces and ketchup, it is not convenient based on the small amounts I use them.

brobin
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 11:56

Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
"The taste and texture of some of the low-carb cake and cookie mixes on the market leave a lot to be desired," she says. "The manufacturers have not yet been able to achieve the chewy texture many people prefer in their cookies, and the cakes tend to be dense and somewhat gummy rather than light and airy."
I agree with Brobin I can make a beautiful light cake from scratch using all sorts of lc foods like almond flour and other ingredients. I say we need to stay away from frankenfoods. they are just as addicting, take it from one who just wolfed down a box of endulge carmel bars in less than a week and will never never buy a box again! the advantage bars on the other hand taste awful in my humble opinion