Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 22:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177.8/170.8/122.1
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking Started induction yesterday...A few questions!!

Hi there fellw Aussie low carbers!!!............

My name is carly, Im 20 and from Sydney. Ive seriously started Atkins induction yesterday (3 September).

If you dont mind, I have a few questions to ask those of you on Atkins...

1) I read a post about having to watch calories aswell as carbs. I thought the whole point of Atkins, was that u didnt have to worry about this. Is the reason you watch the cals b/c you risk eating too little? Or eating too much? I want to follow this WOE as strictly as possible, and dont want to prevent weight loss by eating too much/little!

2)Ive been eating a lot of eggs on Induction. How many is too many? (Ive been eating about 4/5 a day!)

3)I dont write down the amount of carbs I eat, I just kinda remeeber them. Is this a bad way of doing it?

4) Does it slow down weight loss if you dont eat the whole 20g of carbs in induction? (say I only ate 12g?)

5)How much exercise, and what kind do you guys do?Is it essential? (I do about 50mins 3 times a week of walking)

6)Where do you find nitrate free bacon in Sydney/Australia!!

7)If you are not hungry at brekkie or lunch, do you HAVE to eat anyway?

8)Can you buy ketosis sticks in chemists in Sydney? Or only by mail order?

9)Should I steer away from Extra chewing gum?

10) On other eating plans, they say it is bad to eat late at night. Does this apply to Atkins?

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Sorry theres so many! But all the help I can get is appreciated.

This is the first time I have ever joined a message forum, so I am learning a lot along the way.
I did the Carbohydrate Addicts diet 2 years ago when I was 18 (I am now 20) and managed to lose a little (but was exercising heaps too!). Wasnt getting excellent results, so I gave up on that and joined weight watchers with my best friend. I weighed in at 68kgs and managed to get down to 60 on weight watchers. For whatever reason I strayed from this (I blame it on my fiance and our habit of eating out). Needless to say a year later after yo yoing a lot, I weighed in at 80kg!!!!!!!!I was shocked! My self esteem had hit rock bottom (where as I used to have a real healthy self esteem), I have become depressed, have anxiety attacks, and am constantly fatigued and stressed. I cant stand to look at myself in the mirror, and no longer fit all the nice clothes I own, so basically just wear the same skirt and tops all the time. Blahh! Ive had enough of it all. I am putting everything I have into this ATkins WOL, b/c i have nothing to lose, and all to gain.

I read ATkins about 3 weeks ago. I follwed it for a week, then stuffed up on the weekend when I saw my fiance. I went straight back to it on Monday, went well all week, until the weekend again when I saw Wayne!! Its so hard to have self control when I am around him.

But anyway, its a fresh start now, and I cant wait to get to know all you guys...some of your stories are amazing. Your losses are a real inspiration. Im going to need you guys when I get to my plateaus!!!

Look forward to your replies.....
Ciao.......!

Carly

ps Im now 77 kg, aiming for 55kg.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 05:20
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Carly,

Hi matey, I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

1. The main reason to watch calories while low carbing, is to get enough cals. If you're doing fine and losing weight, there is no reason to worry too much about your cals.
If you use Fitday (I mentioned it in your journal) to calculate your carbs, you'll automatically get a readout of calories, too.

2. You can eat as many eggs as you like! The reason the low fat brigade will try to dissuade you from eating too many eggs, is that they contain saturated fat. Sat. fat is only harmful to our health when eaten with starches and sugars.
The only harmful fat is "trans fat." You'll find trans fats in margarine and commercially baked goods such as biscuits, cakes and pastries.

3. How you keep track of your carbs is up to you, really. I prefer to write what I eat in my journal, and also post them into Fitday so I know what I'm doing.
Remember that you subtract "fibre" carbs, as the body does not absorb those carbs. You'll be surprised just how many vegies you can eat when you do that!
But Carly, there are no rules about this. If you feel you can keep track of your carbs in your head and you're doing fine, great!

4. Whether or not weight loss is slowed by not eating all your carbs is really a YMMV thing. I tend to think you are better eating them all, mainly so you can have plenty of vegies and, once you are not in Induction, some fruit.
Vegies are very helpful not only with nutrition, but useful for, ahem, preventing constipation.
Besides, vegies taste pretty good slathered in butter!

5. Is exercise essential? According to Dr Atkins it is. He describes exercise as nonnegotiable.
50mins 3 times a week is fine. 4 times may be a spot better, but you are out there moving, and that's what counts.

6. Can't help you with the nitrate free bacon, I'm afraid. I looked in lots of places in Brissie at first, but now I just eat the ordinary stuff from Coles. I don't eat it every day, though.
You could ask at a few butchers and health food shops - that's all I can suggest.
Maybe some Sydneysiders might pop in to help?

7. I think you are better to eat brekkie and lunch even if you are not hungry. There's no need to force down a huge meal, but not eating causes your metabolism to slow - the last thing we want!

8. Ketostix are available in chemist shops but I truly wouldn't bother! There are many different low carb plans and only Dr Atkins bothers about the stix.
I've seen too many people get obsessed about them. When it all boils down, whether or not the stix change colour doesn't matter. What matters is that you are losing fat.

9. I would avoid the gum at least while you are on Induction. Does the packet give a carb count? If not, avoid. If so, wait until you are out of Induction and then count the carbs.

10. I don't think Dr Atkins mentions eating late at night. What he does say, and I agree, is to eat if you are hungry! So if you are feeling peckish late at night, eat!

Whew, hope that helps!

Carly, if you have more questions, ask 'em in your journal - I'll keep an eye out.

Meanwhile, hop along the "Newbies' Questions" and check out the Hot Links. There are lots of previous threads there with answers to questions you haven't thought of yet!

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 05:29
Registered Member

Stats: 224/194/121 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile I'm new 2

Hi Carly and Rosebud,

I have started on this diet AGAIN for the second time....I did it back in April and lost 12 kilos in a month but then I got sick and thought that I could maintain the weight off and back it came now I am furious with myself....
My problem is that I work in town (Sydney) and usually have a sandwich for lunch....Rosebud what can I have that is low Carb??? I'm feeling frustrated as I don't want to get stuck eating the same things over and over again.....
I stuffed up tonight as I had 3 slices of bread which I shouldn't have..... uggghhh this is frustrating....
Do u guys have any suggestions'???? I am also starting to walk next week 2 a week plus one day I will be doing tennis....is that enough??? Please help me out I feel low and depressed about feeling so frumpy!!!!

Hope to hear from you
Karina
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 17:27

Plan: www.ultralite.com.au
Stats: 83/83/55
BF:
Progress: 0%

[QUOTE8. Ketostix are available in chemist shops but I truly wouldn't bother! There are many different low carb plans and only Dr Atkins bothers about the stix.
I've seen too many people get obsessed about them. When it all boils down, whether or not the stix change colour doesn't matter. What matters is that you are losing fat.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure if I agree with is, in my own personal experience. The Ultralite plan that I am on used the stix. Also, just seeing that pink colour every day is SUCH a great motivator for me.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 19:03
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Karina,

I'm sorry you're feeling so down.

Do you have access to a microwave where you work? Or do you you buy your lunch?

If you take your own food and have access to a microwave, the world is your oyster (so to speak! )! There is no law that says only "lunch" food has to be eaten for lunch. I must admit that for convenience I tend to have either a salad or soup for lunch, but you can eat anything at all really that fits into your eating plan.
I work evenings and take my dinner in a micro container.
Have a look at the recipes section here for fresh ideas. Or (and?) havea look through members' journals for more ideas. (You can think about starting your own journal while you're there...)

If you buy your food, there are many options. Chicken Caesar salad (hold the croutons) is the sort of thing you'll want.

Hope that helps!

Aussielowc, if you are testing your wee and having success, that's great.
But just be aware that ketones in the urine don't necessarily mean you are burning fat. They can be there as a result of fat in your diet or from alcohol.

And I repeat what I said to Carly, I have seen way too many people get hung up about the stix. Losing fat is more important than changing colour of a little strip of plastic!!

Cheers, all.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 19:19

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

bump on the keto-stix

its nice to know that you're in ketosis. However, too much water can dilute ketones in the urine to give a negative. Also it can just be a sign that you're burning dietary fat, check about an hour after eating a fatty meal and you're sure to test positive!

The main indicator to if it is all working is that you're losing bodyfat and maintaining muscle mass.