Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 14:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default No Weight Loss Low Carb Plan

HI Everyone!
I have a friend that is finally open to giving a low carb plan a 2 week trial. She is doing this strictly for health reasons. She has IBS, mood swings, acne etc. Basically everything that a low carb diet will help. The only thing is is that she is very thin. Just happens to be a small boned person. She can't afford to lose any weight. She does work out 5-6 days a week with 30-45 mins of cardio then lifting.
I've read a bit through the different plans but wanted some more feedback. RIght now she is cutting out all sugar and simple carbs.
Is there a plan that has worked for people that is better for her?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 09:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

You might suggest Life Without Bread by Dr. Wolfgang Lutz; he mentions that thin people may at first lose some weight on low carb (he recommends staying around 70 grams/day), but usually will tend to normalize over time.

I'm on the thin side myself, and regaining weight (which is desirable for me) after returning to low-carb several years ago. Life Without Bread does outline how he's used low-carb to treat most digestive problems, although one of his other books - only available in German - does this to greater detail.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 17:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

She could do any LC plan that appeals to her, just proceeding directly to maintenance, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Protein Power Life Plan would be a good book. It discusses the issues of grains and autoimmune response, insulin resistance, etc.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 09:45

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default It works GREAT for ANY weight!

My sister is 100 pounds. She's always been concerned about her weight and has been eating horribly. She started Protein Power as a way to lose weight. Didn't quite work that way. She in fact gain a couple of pounds, but her BODY reshaped! She lost 2 inches from the area she was most concerned about! She also discovered that she is insulin resistant, so she will be low carb for life and it has helped many of her emotional/physical problems she was battling (and taking medication for). I would not hesitate to recommend this WOE to anyone!
-- Loretta
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 17:10

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

I was once diagnoses with IBS and since low carbing (I am on South Beach since December 03) I haven't had problems at all. I don't know what it was but my guess is something in normal bread. I would say same as above - go to maintenance - cut out REFINED carbs (soft drinks, white bread, white rice) and be generous with whole grain carbs - beans, humus, whole grain breads or pasta, lots of veggies, low fat meat. I also think the low FAT part of SBD might help acne.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 15:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 153/153/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

Hi! Excersise is excllent but she might want to cut down a bit on the cardio? and perhaps increasing the weight while weight training....
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 15:38

Plan: not one yet
Stats: 189/187/170 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress:
Default Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioch
My sister is 100 pounds. She's always been concerned about her weight and has been eating horribly. She started Protein Power as a way to lose weight. Didn't quite work that way. She in fact gain a couple of pounds, but her BODY reshaped! She lost 2 inches from the area she was most concerned about! She also discovered that she is insulin resistant, so she will be low carb for life and it has helped many of her emotional/physical problems she was battling (and taking medication for). I would not hesitate to recommend this WOE to anyone!
-- Loretta

I am a new member at LC and I read your post. I was wondering if there was a book that I could try this Protein Power? And I also am wondering if low starches would be available with this diet? I would really appreciate some information on this!!!
Thank You So Much,
Andrea
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 06:26

Stats: 280/236/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I think the idea of choosing any lc plan and starting right at the maintenance phase sounds like good advice.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 11:23

Stats: 158.6/143.2/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
I am a new member at LC and I read your post. I was wondering if there was a book that I could try this Protein Power? And I also am wondering if low starches would be available with this diet? I would really appreciate some information on this!!!
Thank You So Much,
Andrea

You may order the Protein Power book online or maybe your local bookstore would carry the books by Dr. Eades. There is also Protein Power Lifeplan. I just ordered this book online and can't wait to get started. I will be using this plan for maintenance as well. Its not as strict as Atkins. You are more liberal on this diet as long as you do your MATH, you will be fine. You also can have fruit at the beginning which with Atkins that is a no no. So I cannot wait to get started.

Good luck to you.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 11:30

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

My friend Abi is 6' tall and only 140lbs. She started low carbing for mood swings and hormone stability and she too was worried about losing weight. So far she hasn't lost any and is feeling much better. She is basically following a Barry Groves type plan (natural health and weight loss is his latest book).