Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 19:17
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Lab Rats on a Quest 12

Welcome to the Lab!

We're a group (mostly middle-aged and older women but men are also welcome) who seek low carb ways to attain our goals. We investigate, analyze and discuss various ways to make low carb living our own and welcome anyone who is on a similar quest.

So if you have a mind to, pull up a beaker and join in. Mind the Bunsen burners, though.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Tue, Oct-21-14 at 05:45.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 05:21
It's Only Food!

BF:

The admins closed our other thread so I've captured the last two posts from omablue to keep it going:

OMABLUE:

Quote: Originally Posted by Liz53

Omablue, do you have links to those reports that low carb causes memory loss? It makes me wonder if those are short-term studies done before that body has time to keto-adapt....did you consider that question as you were reading it? Many studies indicating low performance with LC are conveniently ended at the 3-6 week mark when the body is just beginning to recover from the shock of - gasp! - no sugar. And there is a growing group of researchers who call Alzheimer's and other cognitive decline Type 3 diabetes. Like you, I find LC sharpens my focus.

Good points: one of the articles was written by a science writer and if you read down far enough into the article they have quotes saying that other studies don't show the same results. I did not read all the way to the bottom before because it annoyed me: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/2008...y-impair-memory
The other is from a UK site: http://www.weightlossresources.co.u...-carb-diets.htm
This site appears to be trying to sell something.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 05:22
It's Only Food!

BF:

OMABLUE:

I just read Ketone Power: Superfuel for maximum mental health and ultimate physical performance by Cristian Vlad Zot, I downloaded it from Kindle unlimited. It is aimed at long distance runners and other super athletes, but the first half explains a lot about Ketogenic eating and chemistry. He sites some pretty interesting studies.
He goes into the memory aspects of ketogenic eating. One of the studies that he cites is about Mary T Newport MD who treated her husband's alzheimers with coconut oil and had success. I looked more into her and it is a fascinating story. It may not mean the end of alzheimers but it should be worth trying.

I had already started adding coconut oil to my plan because I read that it worked to keep you from getting hungry between meals. The jury is still out on that one.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 05:40
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Everything is all sparkly and shiny here in our new lab. It's been a while since we needed new digs.

Weight is the same. Yeah I'm disappointed but it's not an up. My keto eating took a bit of a hit this weekend so I should be really happy, but I'm not. I'm keto-pouting.

omablue, I can see where low carb without the high fat could cause some memory and thinking issues. The body has to have something to burn for brain function. I, myself, feel more focused and can stay on task with less effort now that I'm in a good solid state of ketosis. Just call me a fathead.

I've weaned myself off the omeprazole and thus far am doing well. My gastro doc was for it if I could do it, so I'm not going outside medical advice to do so. I'm still reading Brenda Watson's "Skinny Gut Diet" and omeprazole is not beneficial to good intestinal flora at all. One could say I'm doing interior gardening helping my good flora to grow. It really does matter for overall health and immunity.

Another autumn morning where I just want to stay home, crochet (I'm 2/3 of the way done with a sweater vest), read, and paint. Idontwannagododata. But I will and I'll be happy and I'll be happier still to come home.

Hope you have a......oh crap it's a T-word day. Terrific. Tremendous. What else is there? Let's see. I've got nuthin'. So have a Great Tuesday! Hey....."great" has a "t" in it.

Later 'gators!

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Tue, Oct-21-14 at 07:01.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 08:47
It's Only Food!

BF:

Don't make me retitle this thread Blue's Blog!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 08:52

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Blue, I have been reading your thread for a while and decided to start posting on the board a little yesterday.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 08:55

Plan: lc
Stats: 236/-/150 Female 68"
BF:of course
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the housekeeping, Blue.
I am trying to work my way into the program for memory improvement that the UCLA study used. Purchased many supplements Friday after work and quit eating after 6 so I can go to bed at 9, up at 5:30, breakfast at 6:30 so the 12 hour fast is there. I keep forgeting to eat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and I missed 2 or 3 of the supplements (going to try to get to the store on the way home) So far I would say the memory is the same but the scale is going down a little every single morning. That is a weird thing for me. it is now 3 pounds less than Friday AM. The low side of the bounce but the scale usually swings 2-3 pounds up or down every morning and it is just crawling south One of the things I forgot to get was curcumin which showed up in a FB post as fighting the effects of flouride in the water. In my condo I had a water filter on the shower but I have not made that investment in the house. Might be time....
Tuesday. What can I say. It's a long slog to Friday night with not enough work to stay entertained
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 08:56

a name change would leave the lurkers in the dark about where we all are, but there are days it must feel that way Blue!
Welcome Meme#1
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 09:01
It's Only Food!

BF:

Hiya, Meme! Welcome to the lab! We're happy to have you.

Cool beans, Jan, about the unexpected weight loss. I have coconut oil now and then but recently have been using butter and mayonnaise more. I may have to get some coconut oil in there today.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 09:12

BF:

Hi Blue and Jan, Lots to read on here!
I've been using butter, olive oil always and bacon drippings now too. I've tried and do use Coconut oil also but didn't see any bigger weight loss from it. I was hoping it would be a magic weight loss trick. LOL
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 11:28
It's Only Food!

BF:

Yeah, I was hoping coconut oil would turn me into a svelte, younger version of myself but, alas, it hasn't. I tried it in coffee but have decided that I do NOT like an oil slick on my coffee. Heavy cream is an emulsion that mixes well with other liquids but not coconut oil. The coffee slides down leaving an oily film that just won't work for me. I have, as disgusting as it sounds, just measured a tablespoon and eaten it. If you just went "yuk" I'm with you. But when push comes to shove and I need to up my fats, it's something I do. I just tell myself it's a supplement.

Speaking of supplements, I know coconut oil comes in capsules now for those not willing to choke down a spoonful. I saw them in the supplement section in Walmart.

I have to be careful with coconut oil because if I get too much (more than a couple of tablespoons), I get a raging, miserable headache akin to a migraine. Guess I'm not so much of a fathead after all.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 11:41

BF:

Yes about the headache....
I had read about that but it didn't happen until a few days in.
I wonder what in the world causes it?
I do like the Coconut oil, both types that I have found. I really like the smell and taste of the unrefined version because it remints me of an Almond Joy bar but to cook with I definitely use the refined version with no taste or smell.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 13:23

I only plan to dose myself with 1 teaspoon as that was what was used at UCLA and I really do not like it, not in coffee, not plain...but 1 teaspoon I think I can do. I cook with it upon occasion, usually something chicken/teriaki-ish. I only buy the orgainc/virgin as that was what was recommended all those years ago during coconut trials in the OC.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 14:12

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Blue's Blog.....hmmm. Not bad. We love to hear from you, Blue!!!

Coconut oil for me since 2011. At least 2 Tbs every day. I don't know what it does for me, but I have it anyway.

I've had a very busy morning, and now I have to go out again in about 5 minutes. I'll try to check back later. Thanks for the housekeeping, Blue.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 14:22

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Morning everyone. Smells like fresh paint in here...I like it. I've been eating more mindfully the past 2 days (we ran out of almonds, they are just about the only food I eat truly mindlessly...) and am rewarded by a .4 lb drop on the scale. Not much but I'm taking it.

I've been experimenting a bit with different foods re: blood sugar. A small serving of roasted mainly root veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions, red pepper and tomato) gave me a one hour reading of 160 the other night. Yikes, no more potatoes for me (and it was 2 oz of potatoes at most). Last night I tried acorn squash with a one hr pp reading of 117. Not so bad, I'd rather have acorn squash any day.

Other than that, staying mostly off the forums, sticking to my studio. I'm taking a friend to the mainland late this afternoon for a iPhone class at the apple store and we'll probably have dinner out to let the ferry traffic die down. Probably a salmon nicoise salad at Nordstrom. Yum.

Thanks for setting up the new digs, blue.
Closed Thread