Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 00:44

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Kick Sugar Summit 2019

Quote:
KICK SUGAR SUMMIT 2019

June 10th to 15th

You’ve Been Lied To!

It’s Time to Set the Record Straight

Join us for The 4th Annual Kick Sugar Summit

The Metabolic Health - Science Edition

It's a virtual Who’s Who of the Ketogenic and Metabolic Health World and the Sugar Recovery World

http://kicksugarsummit.com/?afmc=5w
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 10:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Many of the same faces, but this one also has Dr. Lewis Cantley (cancer ) and Dr. Aseem Malhotra. Those two cover the cost of admission (it's free )
Starts Monday. With 45 speakers there will be more speakers to watch each day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-19, 19:30

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Kick Sugar Summit 2019

Anybody out there watching any/all of the Kick Sugar Summit 2019 videos?

Link to Day 1 is here but the link is only good for TODAY!

Quote:
Today's Speakers are:
Dr. Robert Lustig - Professor Emeritus, UCSF, Fructose Expert

Dr. Vera Tarman - Author of Food Junkies: Recovery from Food Addiction

Dr. Brian Lenzkes - Voted One of the "Top Doctors" in San Diego for 11 Years, works with patients using Low Carb protocols to help them lose weight, reverse diabetes

Gin Stephens - Author of Delay, Don’t Deny: Living an Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle

Dr. Robert Cywes - Bariatric Surgeon, Former Sugar Addict

Doug Reynolds - Founder of LowCarb USA

Dr. Chris Palmer - M., Associate Professor of Psychiatry Harvard Medical School, How Low Carb / High Fat Meal Plans can improve patient outcomes

Dr. Bret Scher - MD, Cardiologist, Stanford Graduate, Low Carb helps Heart Disease

I started trying to watch but kept getting pulled away to other things. I'm also fighting off a cold virus so I keep falling asleep every time I sit down to watch. So, if anybody watched any/all of the videos and can post a short synopsis of the high points, I'd really appreciate it...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 04:35

I have heard many on this list before, but I particularly wanted to hear Dr. Robert Cywes again. He is an interesting guy with very strong opinions on carbohydrate addiction, and against substitute foods. Even cauliflower pizza, and forget the treats. Today I've started to watch Dr. Lewis Cantley already...any time I can hear him talk about cancer and sugar, I will listen. Gary Taubes speaks about his "The Case Against Sugar" book, but you can find other lectures on the same book.

There will likely be a Bonus Day, where all videos will be available one more time, so all is not lost.

And with most participants, you can hear similar talks on YouTube and Podcasts. For example, Dr. Cywes was recently a guest on DietDoctor and Low CarbMD podcasts.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/podcast#19

Hope you feel better,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 05:54

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I listened to Cywes, Scher, and Palmer yesterday as I was driving from Massachusetts to Virginia. Perfect to listen while driving, as they are all video podcasts. Cywes was excellent, has a great personal story about carb addiction, some excellent ways to deal with overcoming addictions, and some practical approaches to a low carb, keto lifestyle. As Janet mentions, he strongly advises against "equivalent" foods like low carb pizza or desserts, as he thinks they serve as crutches to prolong dependencies. After reading several of his articles several years ago about carb addiction, I realized that's exactly what I had, and it helped tremendously to deal with it that way. He asks, "can an alcoholic after a year of sobriety benefit from a cheat day?"

Palmer discussed treating depression with a ketogenic diet. Very informative.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 07:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I listened to Cywes, Scher, and Palmer yesterday as I was driving from Massachusetts to Virginia. Perfect to listen while driving, as they are all video podcasts. Cywes was excellent, has a great personal story about carb addiction, some excellent ways to deal with overcoming addictions, and some practical approaches to a low carb, keto lifestyle. As Janet mentions, he strongly advises against "equivalent" foods like low carb pizza or desserts, as he thinks they serve as crutches to prolong dependencies. After reading several of his articles several years ago about carb addiction, I realized that's exactly what I had, and it helped tremendously to deal with it that way. He asks, "can an alcoholic after a year of sobriety benefit from a cheat day?"

Palmer discussed treating depression with a ketogenic diet. Very informative.

And his comment that if an alcholic drinks O'Douls, that will eventually lead back to the real stuff. "Go ahead, it's an O'Douls!" ...not long term according to Dr. Cywes.

Dr Cantley is brilliant...but with scary new studies. He hasn't eaten sugar since 1975, says something from a cancer researcher.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 10:11

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I think the no cheats approach makes sense for those that are addicts. But lots of us aren't and the blanket idea that everyone is always makes me a bit prickly.

Did anyone hear Brian Lenzkes? I love his podcast with Dr. Tro.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 10:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
But lots of us aren't (addicts) and the blanket idea that everyone is always makes me a bit prickly.

Not sure where this blanket idea came from, as it wasn't mentioned or implied in Cywes' discussion, nor was it in this thread.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 10:57

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've been eating "equivalents" for over a decade... when should I expect this sudden relapse to the hard stuff?

My take is, if it helps, do it, if it doesn't, don't. It could go either way, when it comes to palatability/reward type stuff, everybody's sort of running their own program. A little experimentation and self-honesty goes a long way in figuring what route will work for you.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 10:59

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Having said that--I can't have low carb cookies and desserts (except heavy cream ice cream which is a staple for me) daily without things getting out of hand--but they help me through birthdays and holidays, without me craving more when the occasion is over--as long as there aren't leftovers.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 11:54

BF:

Listened to Cantley today. Good to know capable researchers are taking sugar consumption and connection with cancer seriously.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 09:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Listening to Dr Noakes now. Nice to hear his voice and his full story. Funny how now his taste buds that have been sugar free for so long, experiences tomato sauce as sweet.

My kids find many foods sweet now that their sugar intake has been reduced dramatically.

Nutrition is single most influence of health; cant out- eat exercise. Exercise also a plus but pre-diabetes/ diabetes cannot be fixed by running marathons. DIET.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 09:37

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Not sure where this blanket idea came from, as it wasn't mentioned or implied in Cywes' discussion, nor was it in this thread.

Maybe I misheard Dr. Cywes, but I don't like it when people imply that it's an issue for anyone that is now low carb. I didn't hear him say "for some people..." but rather "it is an addiction..."

I was saying is that while it's a real issue for some people, talking about it as if it's an issue for everyone is an exaggeration. I don't like his assumption that if I ever have any sugar or substitute foods, it's a slippery slope to damnation. It's...judgy, in the same way that saying that anyone who ever drinks is on their way to being an alcoholic.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 10:43

BF:

I agree, and we need to keep in mind that not everyone who eats carbs or drinks alcohol is dependent on or abuses the substance. Everyone is different, and some of us have the same tendencies, so we learn from one another. If I continued eating carbs at the rate I was over 10 years ago, I was on my way to being addicted, so that's how I've been able to adjust.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-19, 06:50

BF:

Now that the Kick Sugar Summit is winding down, I'm starting to understand (yes, many are probably already aware of this formula) how these "summits" are done, and I'm wondering how much reach they have. It's a formula where a collection of low carb and related nutrition experts are assembled, deliver recorded interviews over time, and are presented as videos during the dates identified. I have familiarity with a good portion of the experts, and some are completely new.

There is definitely a business model involved where the interviews are placed on sale and sponsor products are also offered. Not the least of which, emails of those who sign up are collected and have value due to the expressed interests of the proactive audience. Not sure where they are going with this, but it's very similar to the fasting summit theme hosted by Naomi Whittel and Montel Williams earlier. I don't have an issue with this, as everyone knows what they're going to get and can determine participation accordingly.

I found some new experts who were very interesting and some familiar experts who evolve their messages over time in response to new information. The format during the event enables us to join when we have the time, so there's convenience due to this flexibility. I'm curious about how this reaches those who are thinking about a lifestyle change or have just started, and it appears the hosts rely on their audience to pass the news to others for the most part. All good as signing up prior to the event is free of charge. If a flood of emails comes later, I can always unsubscribe. Always good to have access to this information for those who have a thirst for learning.