Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-20, 07:25

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I remember in my senior year of high school a bunch of us went to the local McDonald's. I was so embarrassed because I'd never been to one before and didn't even know what they sold. I ended up just getting the exact same thing as the person ahead of me in line.

My first McD's experience was in high school too - class trip to... somewhere, can't recall where we were going, but it was far enough away from home that they didn't even tell us to bring a bag lunch, and felt the need to stop at McD's (the first McD's I'd ever even seen, aside from TV ads) on the way back to the school, so we could get something to eat. I'm sure I was the only one in the class who had never eaten fast food before, and I think I ordered a big mac. I don't recall if I ordered fries, or what I had to drink, although I was always partial to Sprite (although we never had sodas at home, unless we were sick, and then it was always ginger ale, so my exposure to sodas was also rare). To me (at the time) it was wonderful - growing up on farms, we very rarely (exceedingly rarely) went out to eat. Because my dad raised cattle and hogs for the first 12 years of my life, we almost always had beef for dinner, and had sausage at breakfast. But mom didn't do much in the way of seasoning anything she cooked, usually limited to a little salt (no pepper), and she very rarely made any kind of combined foods (such as casseroles, soups, and stews) which usually call for at least a little onion, because Dad didn't like them. So despite the poor quality of the ground beef used for the McD burgers, the combination of flavors in the big mac (“Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame-seed bun.”) might as well have been some kind of gourmet cooking as far as my taste buds were concerned - I absolutely loved it.

It was several years later before I ever went to a fast food restaurant again - the first one then was KFC, with their 11 secret herbs and spices (such as they are), which again thrilled my taste buds, because on the few occasions we had chicken when I was growing up, it was only seasoned with a little salt, and maybe a tiny bit of sage or poultry seasoning.

It wasn't until I was married many years, and started using recipes that actually called for a wide variety of seasonings and combinations that I realized how truly bland and tasteless fast food was compared to what I could make at home, instead of cooking just plain meat, and plain veggies. If I'd grown up on that kind of food, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been so enamored with fast food flavors.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-20, 08:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There are so many things we're exposed to we have no idea what they do to us. Everything is consuming plastic in particles from us to the creatures in the ocean. We're even breathing plastic. What about all these nano-particles being created now? Loads of chemicals never tested on animals. But there's probably no stuffing the djinni back in the bottle. It isn't just us that is broken, our pets are broken too.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-20, 09:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
But mom didn't do much in the way of seasoning anything she cooked, usually limited to a little salt (no pepper), and she very rarely made any kind of combined foods (such as casseroles, soups, and stews) which usually call for at least a little onion, because Dad didn't like them.

This was also how I grew up, with meat prepared with salt, vegetables boiled to death which at least got some butter, and a side starch, with white bread on the table.

I don't know why the Midwest fears taste, but it sure does!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-20, 15:21

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
But mom didn't do much in the way of seasoning anything she cooked, usually limited to a little salt (no pepper), and she very rarely made any kind of combined foods (such as casseroles, soups, and stews) which usually call for at least a little onion, because Dad didn't like them. So despite the poor quality of the ground beef used for the McD burgers, the combination of flavors in the big mac (“Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame-seed bun.”) might as well have been some kind of gourmet cooking as far as my taste buds were concerned - I absolutely loved it.
Sounds like my family. I didn't go to McD until I was in college (I think I ordered a Big Mac too, because I recognized the name from advertising)! My father never wanted casseroles, soups, and stews because he associated them with WWII-era stretching of meals or a father who couldn't provide slabs of meat for his family (though we loved casseroles, soups, and stews). Once for my mother's birthday my sister & I (8 & 11) made a Gourmet Magazine Beef Bourguignon for Mom and my father was incensed and left us in tears for daring to make something our Mom would like on her birthday. I'm still a fan of one-dish meals with melded flavours, though my sister prefers each item on its own on a plate.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Oct-22-20 at 15:26.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-20, 16:51

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This was also how I grew up, with meat prepared with salt, vegetables boiled to death which at least got some butter, and a side starch, with white bread on the table.:
oh wow, yes indeed, vegetables boiled to death! That’s all we ever had. All my life I HATED vegetables until I grew up and learned there were other ways to prepare them. And yes, always white bread. And we didn’t even have BUTTER! My mom only used margarine. And no salt on anything. My mom never allowed us to salt any food. But we did have dessert every night, and often a jello “salad” as one of the dinner sides.

But fast food was certainly not a thing when I grew up. I think I’d heard of McDonalds but the first one didn’t arrive in our area until I was about 16 or 17. We went there a few times for the novelty. But until then our only option was the White Castle. We got takeout there maybe twice a year at the most but I totally adored it 😉
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-20, 05:29

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think we've all hit on something. For many of us, much of the food we ate was tasteless, bland, and over-cooked. No wonder we didn't eat much of it and had less trouble losing weight.

My mother was a good cook, and yet some things I shake my head at even now. She used to get those 1/2" pork chops and cook them for 90 minutes. Veggies were canned (store canned, not put up by her), which makes them mushy to begin with, and then cooked forever. I don't ever remember having a fresh veggie growing up, though I do remember my sister always loved a wedge of cabbage with lunch or dinner.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-20, 08:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My mom from New England was a bland cook, and convenience foods as a youngster. She improved her skills and made everything from scratch. Pork chops pan fried, real mashed potatoes and bag of frozen vegetables heated thru and salted. Then added more dishes with flavor as she tried more recipes.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-20, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/305/210 Male 185cm
BF:
Progress: 5%

Interesting video. As for the plastic/chemical aspect, I live in Southeast Asia and out here there is a lot of apathy towards using and abusing plastics. Vendors will put a hot soup in a plastic bag. Few know anything about 'food safe' plastics. Any old plastic cup, bowl or barrel can be used when making food. Most liquid waste ends up in the rivers and ground no matter what is in it. Considering all that's gone on in places like where I am, we should see a lot more fat people out here and heavier people. It's got to be the same in Africa and other developing nations where apathy rules. The US is bad with allowing chemicals into its food system but only compared to the EU.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 04:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
Considering all that's gone on in places like where I am, we should see a lot more fat people out here and heavier people. It's got to be the same in Africa and other developing nations where apathy rules. The US is bad with allowing chemicals into its food system but only compared to the EU.

I know I experienced incredible hunger from eating foods which didn't satiate. I don't think other countries have the same issues with highly palatable/anti-nutrient kinds of foods that blanket the US. Between fast food and outlets like doughnut chains, someone could eat all day and still be hungry.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 07:18

BF:

In one of Gary Taubes' books, he said (and I'm paraphrasing) that your body will continue sending hunger pains until it gets the nutrients (essential proteins) it needs. He added that it's possible that 800 calories is all you really need in a day if it's packed with nutrient-dense foods like animal protein and devoid of "empty" calories (or those you don't really need, like a lot of carbs, even "good" carbs).
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 09:05

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
In one of Gary Taubes' books, he said (and I'm paraphrasing) that your body will continue sending hunger pains until it gets the nutrients (essential proteins) it needs. He added that it's possible that 800 calories is all you really need in a day if it's packed with nutrient-dense foods like animal protein and devoid of "empty" calories (or those you don't really need, like a lot of carbs, even "good" carbs).
I'm not sure if any carbs a "good". There are some food items, that have some carbs, which are not harmful but there is no need for the carbs.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 09:17

BF:

Hey, Mike, I totally agree. By "good" carbs (note the quotation marks) I was referring to veggies, which some people like and feel are important to their health. I prefer to eat very few veggies as they don't agree with me, especially when eaten raw.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 15:56

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Hey, Mike, I totally agree. By "good" carbs (note the quotation marks) I was referring to veggies, which some people like and feel are important to their health. I prefer to eat very few veggies as they don't agree with me, especially when eaten raw.
I do like occasional veggies, but generally have them roasted or stir-fried. I'm not fond of raw veggies either. I even sauté lettuce! Salad is not a favorite of mine even though often it's one of the few things you can eat if you are eating out - but I'm not eating out these days
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-20, 00:38

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Flame retardant? Pesticides? Plastics? ...make us heavier? Keep us from being skinny? lol So much fail(ure).

- 10 -