Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-20, 08:55

Plan: General low-carb
Stats: 239/208/175 Female 5" 10"
BF:
Progress:
Default I have seen temptation...

...and it's name is "Vacation."

Because this isn't my first rodeo, I knew what would happen going in:

1. Our yearly trek to visit my partner's brother & sis-in-law...
2. Covid - which means our ONLY trek this year - and if things don't get better, our only trek NEXT year too...
3. "Reasons" - like my birthday a couple of weeks ago, my hip replacement recovery, and (as everyone kept telling me) VACATION!

Yeah - reasons. (We've all been there.)

So, I was a bit more lax. I added carbs here and there. After all, it would be churlish to turn down a belated birthday cupcake wouldn't it? (Chocolate raspberry with pure sugar chocolate icing. Yep - churlish. ) A couple of bites here and there of a breakfast pastry. You know how it goes.

And wow - my stomach hurt! I tend to remember only the sugary highs of my old way of eating and not the indigestion that went with it hand in hand! Excellent reminder. Yuck!

Then another bad thing happened - I didn't gain a pound in 10 days.

As I remember back on my other journeys with this WOE, that was the slippery slope that started my descent. Because I don't gain weight right away with added carbs and then I do. Slowly. Insidiously. Then not-so-slowly and everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

Once I was on that sugar train, a little indigestion didn't stop me. Have Maalox, will travel!

I like to think this time will stick with me because I'm aware and I remember. I am getting myself back into ketosis and into my rhythm. (And hopefully OFF the plateau I've been on for a MONTH!) For those not on their first time 'round with LC, I honestly think it's helpful to have done it before and messed up a few times. You can see trouble ahead and (to over-use the train metaphor) you can switch to a different track before derailment.

Happy Wednesday and Go Team!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-20, 09:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

One of the things I discovered when I occasionally (rarely) "went off the low carb grid" during vacations and other events is that the food I thought I liked wasn't what I remembered. Matter of fact, it never was as good as it was in my memories. Since you didn't gain during these forays into carbdom, it indicates that you may be very well adapted to low carb and fat burning. Realizing that made me get right back to low carb after my rare "off the grid" occasions. Now, I don't bother, as I like being fat adapted and being able to not suffer consequences. Since the unhealthy food is never as good as I remember it, I no longer want it. Give me a perfectly cooked steak or roast over anything that I ever ate in the past, and that's my preference. To those "experts" who claim that low carb (keto) is not sustainable, they've never tried it long enough to become fat adapted and enjoy the delicious variety of healthy food choices available.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-20, 15:59

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I went off the grid in Vienna last year. There were so many great things to try, and I tried small portions split with my DW.

I didn't gain any weight, I loved every bite, but I caught the first cold I've had in over 15 years. One day of sneezing, one day of coughing and it was gone.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-20, 04:45

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
One of the things I discovered when I occasionally (rarely) "went off the low carb grid" during vacations and other events is that the food I thought I liked wasn't what I remembered. Matter of fact, it never was as good as it was in my memories.

Isn't that the truth!

You dream of an "unmentionable" for days
so you "give in" and buy 1 or 2 or 3
Take them home - or eat in the car on the way home - and the taste is not familiar and bears no resemblance to the memory

Disappointed once again, back on the lo-carb regimen with a sigh