Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-09, 16:21

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/218/190 Male 5' 10'
BF:
Progress:
Default Coffee Creamers and sweeteners

I am new to Calp this time around. I started on Atkin's and lost 12 pounds in three weeks and I just started calp. I choose not to let go of my morning coffee and I hope you can help me out with what is the best coffee creamers and sweeteners out there for a CALPer. i will continue to have the coffee along with the moring carb reducing meal.
I understand that this might not work with me but what not trying. please share your experiences and suggestions
thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-09, 16:24

BF:
Progress:

I forgot to say that my atkin's diet was very high in fat. I ate bacon, eggs with yoke, cream, cheese, etc. It happened that i had my blood levels checked during this period and my cholestrol was very, very high. So I am interested in creamers that are low in carb and low or zero sat fat.
thanks,
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-09, 17:21

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

"High Cholesterol" is meaningless if you do not know the particle size. Was this tested or was the calculation method used?

Any creamers that are low in fat are going to be loaded with sugars. I would skip the cream all together rather than use a non-fat creamer.

As for sweeteners, what about erythritol?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-09, 21:57

BF:
Progress:

It was a blood test in the lab. it was 284 and it should be less than 200 to be normal.
I use splenda, is it ok with CALP, at least for some of you?
I know that some sugar substitutes make the body release inslin but I was just wondering if it works for some CALPers.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 05:59
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
please head over to the Cholesterol and Heart Disease area in this forum- amazing info and support. My cholesterol is really high too- but I don't think it is a reason to stop this wol.

I use h&h in my morning coffee only if it is iced coffee- I drink it black otherwise. I don't use sweetener. I think you can use what you like and see how it affects you. On CALP you are supposed to drink the coffee with cream in 15 minutes if it is not RM.

The fat issue.... I don't eat high fat on purpose like many do on Atkins, but I also do NOT eat low fat. I have turkey bacon, eggs, real cheese- but only about 1/2 ounce with my eggs. I use the h&h instead of milk. I use EVOO in my cooking, and eat beef.

So see what works for you.
Welcome to CAD/CALP- post lots and ask lots of questions and tell us all about you!

I love this WOL-

E
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 07:43

BF:

Splenda and erythritol are the least likely sweeteners to cause issues. I use them both without problems.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 10:54

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Splenda and erythritol are the least likely sweeteners to cause issues. I use them both without problems.

this is something I really wanted to hear. Problem is I use cream in my coffee right now which is zero carb but imagine 15-20 grams of fat in one cup of coffee. I was drinking three of those daily. I started doing that when I started Atkin's last month and I believe that is one of the reasons my cholestrol is high during this period.

yesterday I made Chicken and Brocoli, Page 252 in the CALP book. It wasn't bad at all. My wife enjoyed it too. I had a hand full of almonds for my carb portion.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 11:01

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
I use h&h in my morning coffee only if it is iced coffee- I drink it black otherwise. I don't use sweetener. I think you can use what you like and see how it affects you. On CALP you are supposed to drink the coffee with cream in 15 minutes if it is not RM.
E

Thanks Enomarb. If I drink the coffee within 15 minutes can I have two of those daily? do I have to take it with a meal CM or RM or can it be by itself?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 13:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 289/274/150 Female 5'2"
BF:It sure is!!
Progress: 11%

Welcome Yogiart,
I have started drinking the flavored coffee bean coffees and just using a little half and half in them. I haven't missed not having the sweetner in them. It is almost like a dessert to me.

I am loving this way of life and I hope that you will too! I never have cravings anymore and am rarely hungry. I usually have to remind myself that I haven't eaten yet today. I have been on the program for 3 weeks as of today.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 16:41

BF:

Natural fats may raise cholesterol a bit, but it raises good AND bad about the same. It is a wash.

If you are female, lowering your cholesterol to match some arbitrary target is NOT helpful. The lower your cholesterol, the HIGHER the chance of mortality.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 17:00

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ican4Him
Welcome Yogiart,
I have started drinking the flavored coffee bean coffees and just using a little half and half in them. today.

please give examples or brand names and I'll check it out. thank you
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 17:22

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Natural fats may raise cholesterol a bit, but it raises good AND bad about the same. It is a wash.

If you are female, lowering your cholesterol to match some arbitrary target is NOT helpful. The lower your cholesterol, the HIGHER the chance of mortality.

I am a male. Doctor told me that chances for heart diseases are twice as much as normal cholestrol level, below 200
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-09, 21:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 289/274/150 Female 5'2"
BF:It sure is!!
Progress: 11%

there really aren't any brand names on the flavored coffee beans I use. I just get the ones that are bulk at the local grocery store. Here is a site to give you an idea of what I am talking about.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 23:30

BF:
Progress:

I found zero calories coffee creamer right here:
http://secure.cookiesdiets.com/ecar...tails.aspx?i=20

I don't know if I will try it. I will probably stick to the half and Half