Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-14, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%
Default 'Death test' predicts chance of healthy person dying within five years

Found this on reddit/r/keto

Quote:
A ‘Death Test’ which predicts the chance of a healthy person dying from any medical condition in the next five years has been developed by scientists.

Researchers said they were ‘astonished’ to discover that a simple blood test could predict if a person was likely to die – even if they were not ill.

They found that the levels of four ‘biomarkers’ in the body, when taken together, indicated a general level of ‘frailty’.

People whose biomarkers were out of kilter were five times more likely to die with five years of the blood test.

“What is especially interesting is that these biomarkers reflect the risk for dying from very different types of diseases such as heart disease or cancer. They seem to be signs of a general frailty in the body,” said Dr. Johannes Kettunen of the Institute for Molecular Medicine in Finland.

Blood samples from over 17,000 generally healthy people were screened for more than a hundred different biomarkers and those people monitored over five years

In that time 684 people died of a range of illnesses and diseases, including cancer and cardiovascular disease. Scientists discovered that those people all had similar levels of four biomarkers.

Those were albumin, alpha-1-acid glycoprotein, citrate and the size of very-low-density lipoprotein particles which are linked to liver and kidney function, inflammation and infection, energy metabolism and vascular health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...five-years.html

This quote brought a chuckle, "But at moment there is ethical question. Would someone want to know their risk of dying if there is nothing we can do about it?"

How do we know there's nothing we can do about it if we don't use the test? I could just imagine this doctor visit.... Doctor, "We did a test. There's a high likely hood you could die in five years." Me, "From what?" Doctor, "We don't know. Do you want to do more tests?" Me, "What's the alternative?" Doctor, "I already told you. Dying from something we don't know." Me, "How about we do some more tests then."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-14, 10:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This strongly suggests that poor health has a common cause, no?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-14, 13:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I think so. If you look at the list, i.e. albumin, alpha-1-acid glycoprotein, citrate and the size of very-low-density lipoprotein particles, inflammation, energy metabolism and vascular health, low carb seems to directly address about half the markers. That's what I found most interesting.