Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 03:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajack
ok...just thought I'd share this. Tonight I decided to experiment a bit with the muffins.

I mixed:

1 cup of carbsense (sifted)
3 eggs
sf syrup ( I used b52)
and 3 TBSP cocoa

What does b52 syrup taste like??
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 08:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

honestly cant describe it...but I guess it tastes as much like a b52 as the kaluah sf syrup tastes like kaluah. The drink is made with kaluah, amaretto, and baileys...and this syrup is supposed to have those flavorings. It's one of my favorites anyway...put out by davinnci. A new flavor for me is english toffee by Ambiance. I've tried other english toffee sf syrup and didnt care for them....buy Ambiance puts out a great one. Gotta find out if they have a website and post it here. I get mine at cash & carry. Hope that helped.
  #273   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 10:33

mmmm..English toffee sounds really good! I must say, the SF syrups really do help me stay on track, because they help me to not feel deprived. I need to come up with a way to keep a little portable bottle in my purse so I can use it to flavor coffee. I don't drink coffee very much, but when I am out with others and they are eating dessert, a latte made with a great SF flavor would make me feel like I am also having dessert!
  #274   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 13:50

BF:

Get yourself a little nip of Captain morgans...pour it into a coke zero(drink )...when done with your beverage, remove the label...and fill 'er up with sf syrup for storage in your purse (might want to put it in a ziplock on the off chance the cap loosens.
  #275   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 18:03

That's a GREAT idea!!! Actually, now that I think of it, I've got a little bottle of some kind of high quality scotch that someone brought me back from Scotland. I think scotch tastes like cleaning fluid, but I never threw the bottle out. Think I'll dump it down the sink and fill it with SF syrup instead!
  #276   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 13:52

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%
Smile

Quote:
I'm really liking this concept. It is such a great idea. I made a "brownie" one similar to the one posted by Val awhile back, but with protein powder and ground flax seeds in place of the almond meal:

Take away the egg and this is the basic recpie I would use for warm cereal with maybe some bran added.

Isn't it fun how foods work. Basic water and flour can be paste, a cake, bread or many things with only small alterations.

....Speaking of which, when you mix flour and water, you get glue. But when you add an egg and some sugar, you get cake. So where does the glue go? Answer: it sticks to your butt! lol.

Seriously, though, I absolutely love this whole bowl muffin thread -- great ideas, a sort of collaboration community, and I make bowl muffins all the time. I miss hot cereal in the morning, so I've been mixing:
1/4 c any bake mix (I make my own)
1/4 c Bob's Red Mill Wheat Bran
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt (I use a scoche less than 1/8 tsp)
DVG Spice Blend syrup (or your choice & to taste, of course)
water till consistency of pancake batter

Then, after nuking it for 2 mins, I chop it up into bits right in the bowl, until it has the consistency of thick oatmeal. A little cream on top, and it's my hot cereal breakfast. It has a lovely flavor, kinda nutty from the Wheat Bran, kinda buttery from the heavy cream. Reminds me of a cross between old fashioned oatmeal (texture), Cream of Wheat, and Maypo (from the Spice Blend syrup). Total comfort food on these fall mornings. (Hope this isn't a repeat recipe, ignore it if it is).
  #277   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 14:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
mmmm..English toffee sounds really good! I must say, the SF syrups really do help me stay on track, because they help me to not feel deprived. I need to come up with a way to keep a little portable bottle in my purse so I can use it to flavor coffee. I don't drink coffee very much, but when I am out with others and they are eating dessert, a latte made with a great SF flavor would make me feel like I am also having dessert!

LOL! Get one of those sliver flasks and then you'll pour a little nip into your coffee and everyone at work will think you're a complete lush!
  #278   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 14:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Ah, sorry, DaVinci Gourmet sugarfree lime flavored syrup (or Torani, just another brand).

I think I finally figured out why I don't like Lime Bowl Muffins... the Torani Lime syrup just doesn't taste good to me!
  #279   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 14:48

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%
Default Your own bake mix

Someone posted on this thread, awhile back, that they were out of bake mix, and I wanted to let you know you can make your own very easily. Lots cheaper than paying postage, etc., for getting mixes online, and no need to run out of mix.

1 cup almond meal / any nut meal
1 cup plain or vanilla whey protein isolate
1 cup soy protein isolate
1 cup vital wheat gluten
4 (plus or minus) packets of Splenda, if you want it
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 (plus or minus) tsp salt if you want it

You can leave out any of the isolates, or use them in any combination, etc., add flax meal, etc. I usually make double the recipe; I keep mine bland (no added flax or bran) to keep it versatile, and I store it in a mason jar right on my kitchen counter. Works great!

If you want to make a bisquick-type mix, just chop some cold butter into the bake mix until it's fully incorporated, then store the mix in the fridge.

If you often use a particular recipe with your bake mixes, you can always take portions of your homemade mix and pre-spice them. Saves time, and you won't have run out of your favorite spices when it comes time to make the recipe.
  #280   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 15:05

BF:

Thanks...that was probably me...any idea on carb and calorie counts for that? If not I can probably guestimate.
Thanks again.
  #281   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 04:30

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Hi,
I checked the carbs out as well as I can and this is what I came up with:

1 cup almond meal 12 gms
1 cup plain or vanilla whey protein isolate 6 gms
1 cup soy protein isolate 1.5 gms
1 cup vital wheat gluten 24 gms
4 (plus or minus) packets of Splenda, if you want it 4 gms
2 Tbsp baking powder 0 gms
1 tsp baking soda 0 gms
1 (plus or minus) tsp salt if you want it 0 gms

Total: 47.5 gms for the batch
  #282   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 09:16

BF:

Thank you!!!! You didnt have to figure it out... Heck, I could have done that. I just thought you might have already had the numbers. Thanks again~
Christine
  #283   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 10:14

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%
Smile Bowl Fritters

OK, Yes, this is making a lot more work than the original bowl muffin Idea, but it's so great you can do SOOOO many things with it!

One of my buddy's on the Low Carb Living Yahoo! Groups came up with this Idea, and she told me i could share it here. Her name is Becky.

Mix up your favorite bowl muffin, and deep fry it by the spoonful in hot oil. They come out like little fritters and they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! This is the one i made yesterday to give this idea a try:

1/8 cup bake mix (i use Atkins, as it's what i have right now)
1 scoop Vanilla Praline designer whey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
liquid sweetener to taste (i used more than i do in a normal bowl muffin, as i wanted dessert-like fritters)

Fried them up in hot oil and voila! FRITTERS!
  #284   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 13:53

Fritters!!!?????? OMG!!!! I LOVE fritters- this is a FANTASTIC idea!!!
  #285   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 15:28

BF:

Just wanted to note...I've found two things with bowl muffins. They dont stick to my small plastic bowls (tupperware type ) at all...whereas they do stick to my regular dishes...not alot...but enough that I need to scrub the bowls a bit. Also, I've found them to turn out like HUGE muffins if I use only 2 heaping tablespoons of baking mix and 2 eggs with whatever flavor I choose. Just thought someone else might like to try it.