Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-11, 22:30

Plan: my plan
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Candida? How to cure it? HELP

I'm extremely exhausted all the time. I feel so bad and can barely do normal daily activities. I don't work right now and can barely take care of myself and my 4 month old. I have depression, mind fog, IBS and other symptoms of candida. I've been testing for just about everything and everytime the tests are neg. The doctors cannot figure out what's wrong with me and sometimes try to tell me it's in my head. I get sick ALL THE TIME also. I'm on antiobiotics probably more than any other human being in existence. I found out a few years ago that I am allergic to eggs and also I have a mild allergy (under 1.0 on a 5.0 scale) to wheat, milk, soy. I've also found that I'm very intolerant to cheese. I've found that by cutting out milk and egg products completely, I don't get sinus infections as often, but I do still get sick very often, even when not working. when I get sick, I stay sick for a very very long time. I crave lots of sugar and starch. I HATE veggies. I tend to binge eat also. I am not sure I can change my diet to cut out sugar and starches. I'm already cutting out so much by cutting out dairy and it's very hard to find things to eat since I'm a picky eater. I love sugar so much! Any suggestions? I have tried taking several probiotics before for months to no avail. Does threelac work? or is it a scam? PLEASE HELP ME!! I want to enjoy life instead of hating it!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-11, 07:39

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Sweetheart! Big hug to you, and I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Taking care of a little baby in addition to trying to take care of yourself can be absolutely overwhleming...I remember those days very well!

FIRST THING THOUGH, a little tough love. If you want to eliminate candida, you have to cut out the sugar. Candida is a yeast (which is a fungus) and these little buggers LOVE sugar. Pick a low carbohydrate diet, there are lots to choose from, read the book, and stick with it. Everyone on this board loves sugar, and we've all managed to kick the habit (well...more or less!)

It's not enough to cut sugar, you have to cut all carbohydrates, which are really just a bunch of sugar molecules stuck together (and when you eat "complex" carbs they turn into sugar in your gut.) I'm sorry, but you really have to go low carb. The first two weeks of low carb can be living hell as your body switches from burning carbs to burning fat, but you will get through it...we all did.

Read the stickies here in the candida thread...lots of links to useful information. Read about other people's experiences.

Finally, if you have family or good friends in town, ask them for help with your little one so you can get some more sleep. Most people are delighted to help, and are just waiting to hear from the new mom for what they can do to help you. You have to initiate it though!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-11, 19:22

Plan: my plan
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default diet

Pretty much the only thing I eat are carbs...I feel like I would be depressed eating things I HATE, actually I know I would be. I'm very picky eater and I hate veggies. My husband and I live off fast food pretty much. When the yeast starts to die off, and you get better, can you resume eating sugar/wheat again in the future? Or is this permanent? Does any herbal medicine help? How come the doctors don't "know" about this?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 11:19

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

If you want to know if you can continue eating loads of starch while using herbs or something to combat the the candida, the answer is no.
If you hate eating vegetables then don't eat them. Vegetables are not the answer to your candida anyway. Cutting way down on sugar and starch is. Eat meat, fish and eggs.
You probably need to be taking a probiotic too.
Have a read of this.
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Yeas...ems_and_candida
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 11:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 298/285.5/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

You can still eat at fast food joints, order a hamburger no bun and wrapped in a lettuce leaf, no fries and unsweetend ice tea instead of soda.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 15:01

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Anna, I've got to ask...if you don't want to go low carb, why are you on this forum? There are probably other candida forums that don't push low carb...this one certainly does!

Regardless of what you do, I sincerely wish you well.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-11, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

It's tough, and it's awful, and I really feel for you. But you are just a short way from starting to feel better than you have for a long time. The 4 things that have made most difference to me are

1- no sugar, starch, just meat, eggs, vegs. Take it one step at a time. It's probably taken me 1 year to be eating this way. Start by cutting out refined sugar. The cravings will go if you resist them long enough, believe me. And you will eventually get the hang of the cravings/binges - it's tough but as you start to cut out sugars you'll start to feel a bit better and then you'll want to feel more better and that'll spur you on to cut out something else. You'll do it - if I could you can too!
2 - take digestive enzymes and betaine HCl - but look into this first. I had a lot of die off but it's made a massive difference. This sorts out your internal ph - which is a contributing factor in the growth of candida, and also if you are digesting your food properly there shouldn't be anything left over for candida.
3 - take probiotics. Take upwards of 12-50 billion a day, although ease up gently. Maybe the probiotics haven't been working because the candida has been too strong since it's being fed all day long.
4 - milk thistle, biotin, zinc, vitamin c are all good suggestions. (I couldn't decide which was most important!)

After much reading and research I believe we have to change our internal environment - that's eating right (ie as nature intended), digesting our food properly (so there is nothing left for the bugs), regular bowels to get rid of the waste, and no sugar.

BUT nothing will work if you continue to feed the candida. Take one step at a time and do it slowly. Plan the first day. Have half of the carbs you would normally at each meal and supplement with more meat. Do that for 2 weeks. You will get die off, take milk thistle extract and vitamin c to help. After that cut down more, or do one meal with no carb and see how it goes.

Very best of luck
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-11, 01:22

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Candida happens more often in diabetics due to their blood sugar being higher. Candida thrives on sugar! Don't encourage it by eating carbs, as they ALL digest into glucose.

Have you been tested for diabetes?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-11, 09:36

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

subscribing................
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-11, 22:38

Plan: The Healing Diet
Stats: 210/190/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

So sorry to hear about how things are going for you. I hope you get better. You should read this article, it's eerily similar to what you described. http://intestinaldysbiosis.com/
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-11, 19:26

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 140/130/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodbstr
So sorry to hear about how things are going for you. I hope you get better. You should read this article, it's eerily similar to what you described. http://intestinaldysbiosis.com/

Thanks for sharing that was nice to hear.