Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 01:09

Plan: Candida
Stats: 125/110/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 150%
Question Allergic Reaction or Candida Die-Off?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this board. Usually, I post at healthboards.com, but I'm soo glad that I found this board because no one ever seems to answer my posts about Candida. I have been ill for over a year now. Last spring, I developed an inner ear disorder that lasted for nine straight months of horrible vertigo. I was on many rounds of antibiotics at first because the infection was thought to be bacterial, but later, I found out that it was probably viral. My stomach problems also started around this time and I started taking massive amounts of antacids constantly throughout the day. Next, I started getting low blood sugar episodes. January (of this year) came around and I got extremely sick with the flu, and then pleurisy. I was taking massive amounts of NSAIDs, and took another round of antibiotics. Since then, I've been REALLY sick. My mild hypoglycemic episodes turned into serious episodes of fainting whether I was eating or not, I developed food allergies to almost everything you can think of, and I've been plagued with fatigue and severe allergic responses and a bilion million other symtoms. All the typical Candidiasis symptoms. For months, I haven't been eating vinegar, gluten, diary, anything fermented, etc. due to food allergies, but I was eating sugar still. Actually, for a while, I eliminated it, but went back to it. Just a little over a week ago, I eliminated sugar again. I have been BEYOND miserably sick ever since. I have heard that Candida die-off can mimic an allergic reaction, and that's exactly what it feels like. My throat has even been extremely swollen since I stopped sugar, almost to the point of wanting to go to the doctor because I feel like I cannot breathe. The throat swelling comes and goes throughout the day, I have horrible headaches, nausea, sinus pain, lung pain, ear pain, heart palpitations, increased anxiety, and feel extremely sick all over, except for my GI tract, actually. My stomach for once ISN'T bothering me. I am so fatigued I can't stand it. Does this sound like die-off? I know I'm not taking an anti-fungal, but I would think I would have some die-off just from stopping sugar, plus, I am eating massive amounts of garlic and using TONS of olive oil. The only thing I find weird is the throat swelling (which is really scaring me) and the lack of stomach symptoms.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read,
Katalina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 12:23

BF:

Just bumping this up.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 13:11
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

It can be die off symptoms but throat swelling is usually an allergic reaction. I would get it checked out.

Why don't you try taking organic oregano oil for the candida. It is fantastic for this.

Read http://www.nutricounter.com/articles/browning.htm and http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=167955
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 19:09

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Don't mess around with the throat swelling get to the doctor and have him/her check it out. I get the feeling that my throat is closing up when I eat something I'm allergic to like wheat, or if I am around a smoker and it's a certain brand of cigs they are smoking.

Also, your allergies can change every ten years my allergist said. It could be something you eat about everyday that could be causing the swelling. The body can develope allergic reactions to foods if it's exposed to them quite often. That's one reason Dr. Atkin's suggested to rotate foods around, if my memory serves me correctly.

As for candida die off, it shouldn't make your throat close up to my knowledge. If you have an allergist I'd definitely check with them also.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 19:36

BF:

Hi Zuleika, hi Lisa,
I really think I might be having an allergic reaction on TOP of going through a little bit of die-off from stopping sugar. I woke up today after sleeping for 12 hours (I COULD NOT get up today) and I felt really pretty cruddy and strange, and my throat was a LITTLE swollen, but then I ate ground turkey meat seasoned with olive oil, garlic powder, and black pepper. My throat IMMEDIATELY swelled up again, and all I've been eating all week is meat seasoned with those three items: olive oil, garlic, and black pepper. I MUST be allergic to one of those things. I am allergic to olives and olive oil never bothered me before, but maybe now I've formed an allergy to it because I eat so much of it. Anyway, I'm going to cut out the olive oil and see how I feel! I HOPE it's an allergy and that Candida die-off isn't THIS BAD! I'm fighting for air! Oh, by the way, I just ordered some Oil of Oregano.
Thanks,
Katalina
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 07:38

BF:

I'd stop all three just to be safe. Then I'd test the pepper by itself and after a few days test the garlic. It's called an illimination diet.

I doubt it's the candida die off. I had a lot of candida build up and never had that reaction to them after treatment.

Here's hoping you find what the problem is. I have brohnical astma, brohnchitus induced, and being able to not breath SUCKS. It's also quite scary.

My allergy doctor gave me a prescription for a bee sting kit when I was taking allergy shots. If I had an allergic reaction the appenephrin (synthetic adryline) would ease the reaction so I could breath.

I've also heard of taking Benydryl for a reaction, but you will need to check with an allergist or your doctor as I'm not sure exactly what type of reactions it will benifit.

Also, one other thought....you might not be allergic to all three ingrediants individually, but when mixed together they could be causing a chemical reaction that you body's allergic to. Just a thought.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 14:51

BF:

Lisa,
Thanks so much. It IS scary when you can't breathe. I also have asthma. I did stop all three, and today, I still have some throat swelling, but it's not nearly as bad as yesterday. I blew my low carb diet today because of extremely low blood sugar, but I'm going back on it.
Thanks
Katalina
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 15:20

BF:

You might want to write down everything you eat and the time you eat it. That way you can maybe pinpoint a reaction a little easier too.