Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 14:46

Plan: Still Researching
Stats: 166/166/148
BF:33.3%
Progress: 0%
Red face Jeanner's List

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to the whole low carb and thyroid thing. LOL!

I've just switched from Synthroid to Naturethroid and I think the dose has been way too low for the past month, so they upped it yesterday. Meanwhile my weight has crept up and I've been incredibly tired. I'm seeing a nutritionist and muscle tester and she seems to be very informed on Thyroid. She has told me to lower my carb intake and increase leafy green veggies in addition to her giving me a lot of herbal supplements which change . So I'm researching thyroid, nutrition, energy, and ways to lessen carbs.

I should 1st mention that I'm a research fanatic. I have been reseaching nutrition and supplements and the whole mind, body, spirit thing for a few years and have learned a lot. At the same time, I have found info that contradicts itself. In those cases, I typically try out what makes sense to me and see if it works or not. If it doesn't work, I'll try the other option and see if it works.

Anyway, after my lifelong backgraound, here's my question for Jeanner or anyone else that may know the answer. First I'd like to thank Jeanner for sharing all her info...VERY helpful & organized. I'd be curious to know your resources (ie: books, websites, etc.) where you learned all that, because i have researched considerably and found many websites and there was a lot of info on your list that I didn't run across. One thing I haven't done is read a lot of books yet, but I have seen lots of helpful websites, like the about.com, thyroid-info.com, drlowe.com, thyroidpower.com, and others. I even found a website that lists more foods than you did to avoid at http://www.healthyawareness.com/_Ar...3/000001cd.htm. My question is this...On the list Jeanner provided of Foods to Avoid entirely, she mentioned:
"Rapeseed." Are you talking about Grapeseed oil? I use Vegenaise with Grapeseed oil, so thought I'd better check. Also, you mentioned flaxseed and Flaxseed Oil. I'm curious to know where you heard that, because that is one item I tried searching and most of the thyroid sites listed above highly recommend it. So I'd just love to learn more about where you heard we should avoid it so that i could read more about it. One other thing on the list I was curious about...leafy greens. You just specified turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, but at the healthyawareness website link above, they go further to mention things like lettuce. As a matter of fact, that website's lists quite a few more foods in case anyone wants to see their list and/or discuss these. Since my nutritionist said she thought I should incorporate more leafy greens into my diet, and then I find out that things like kale & spinach and possibly lettuce may have anti-thyroid activity, I thought I'd better find out more and then ask my nutritionist about it. Right now, i think I'll stay away from it. Howver, when trying to be on a low carb diet, one of my staple lunches was salad with some type of meat, or making a "sandwich" out of buffalo burgers and lettuce. Now if lettuce is questionable (especially since it's not cooked), then I'm fretting over what to do now for my lunches. I'm thinking about trying alfalfa sprouts instead in some cases.

So any input, suggestions, and resources (ie: suggested books or links, especially that address the anti-thyroid foods) would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Have a great day!
dteChic
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/142/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 42%

Question, rather than reply....... I am on Synthroid and on Actonel 35,once a week. I can't figure out how to take the two together. All the pharmacist can come up with is take the synthroid before going to bed at night, but I like to snack in the evening. Any suggestions, Actonel due next Monday.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 07:40

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 115/115/115
BF:
Progress:

Wow, thanks so much for putting this info together. I has been very helpful. I checked about 50% of those little boxes for the hypo. I think I need some testing done. Thanks again!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 14:14

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Jeanner:
I know this reply to your post is REALLY late but....

....my doc told me the other day that there is further research connecting candida infections, fibromayalgia and hypothyroidism.
I told him that in recent years, my candida infection was getting so bad that my additional symptoms were closely connect with fibro but I insisted in my mind that I didn't have that because the prognosis seemed so bleak for my friends who had it.

I think we may be on the cusp of discovery!!!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:59
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I've always felt that these were all connected. My mother suffers from all of these, and I suffer from hypoT and some fibro symptoms. I found lots of information out there even several years ago that indicated some sort of connection between them, but of course it always takes lots of studies and testing before they can officially state a connection. LOL...
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 186/147/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 76%

bumping
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 15:03

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 135.5/133/120 Female 5.0
BF:
Progress:
Default MACA Root from South America

Someone kindly posted some information about this root from South America which can help with hypothyroidism. Has anyone ever tried it? Would it be allowed on Atkins?
Thanks and happy holidays to all.
Leafpeeper
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 18:45

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanner
Common symptoms and signs of hyperthyroidism:
Foods that can can affect your thyroid negatively:
I put together a fairly complete list of goitrogens some time ago. Here's what I came up with, but I am sure tyhere are othere things that can and will be added over time.

Avoid unless cooked thouroughly:

* African cassava
* Asparagus
* babassu (a palm-tree coconut fruit popular in Brazil and Africa)
* Broccoli
* brussels sprouts
* Cabbage
* Cauliflower
* horseradish
* kale
* kohlrabi
* leafy green vegetables (turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens)
* Legumes (beans and peas)
* peanuts
* pine nuts
* Processed meats
* radishes
* rutabaga
* Spinach
* turnips
* Watercress

Avoid entirely:

* Soy in any form that isn't fermented
* millet (actually WORSE when cooked)
* Rapeseed, canola, flax, soybean, safflower, corn and other polyunsaturated fats/oils
*Flaxseed and Flaxseed Oil

I'm just wondering where this list comes from exactly?
Does this have anything to do with the Low Iodine Diet cancer people are supposed to go on or something?

And why are you supposed to stay away from these foods?

I've been actually wondering if there were certain foods or supplements to stay away from. I searched google before and the only thing that ever comes up is Soy. It doesn't make sense that I'd need to stay away from all those vegetables. Fresh veggies are supposed to be the BEST kind. And I asked on here before about flaxseed, someone posted that there was no reason to avoid it.

Except for the flax, the oils listed are crap whether you have thyroid problems or not. Same with Proccessed meats - crapfood even if you're in perfect health.
Peanuts.... who cooks peanuts??

I'd like more info on which foods to avoid if it exists anywhere..
Anyone have any info or can also comment on the food thing?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 08:10

Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Thanks for the wonderful post, Jeanner! Got lots of great info!
Msleeker, have you ever thought about pursing natural hormone therapy? It's an alternative to just ditching HRT altogether.

Tig
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 13:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/165 Female 5"7'
BF:

ok im TOTALLY confused now ... ive been in synthroid for about 6 months now ... i did lose weight ..(about 38 lbs)but im still really tired all the time .I lost my job therefore i gained back about 12 lbs ,so i started the atkins diet last week .. am i wasting my time or should i continue ? any reply would be really really welcomed ... thanks and hope to hear some "good" things but will take the bad also ..lol.. i really didnt think that the "whole" thyroid thing was THAT big of a deal .. my doctor never told me all the in's and outs of it .. just thought the meds would take care of it .
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 16:15

Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Hi Tina!

From what I understand from the book that I am reading, if you are still tired, you either need to have your dosage increased or switched to one of the other thyroid meds until you do feel good. I highly recommend this book--Thyroid Power by Richard and Karilee Shames. It has great, easy to understand info and the authors really believe in patient rights/ empowerment.

Tig
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 19:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/165 Female 5"7'
BF:

Hi Tig .. thanks for the info .. ill be looking into that book and also talking to my doctor.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 12:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoOwnsMe
I'm just wondering where this list comes from exactly?
Does this have anything to do with the Low Iodine Diet cancer people are supposed to go on or something?

And why are you supposed to stay away from these foods?

Except for the flax, the oils listed are crap whether you have thyroid problems or not. Same with Proccessed meats - crapfood even if you're in perfect health.

Peanuts.... who cooks peanuts??

At little late, Keto, but better than never.

The veggies listed above contain goitrogens when uncooked. Goitrogens are naturally-occurring substances that can interfere with function of the thyroid gland. They get their name from the term “goiter,” which means an enlargement of the thyroid gland. If your thyroid is having difficulty making thyroid hormone, it may enlarge as a way of trying to compensate for this inadequate hormone production. Goitrogens make it difficult for the thyroid to make its hormones.

There are two general categories of foods that have been associated with disrupted thyroid hormone production in humans: soybean-related foods and cruciferous vegetables. In addition, there are a few other foods not included in these categories – such as peaches, strawberries and millet – that also contain goitrogens.

Soy:
It is the isoflavones in soy that have been associated with decreased thyroid hormone output. Isoflavones are naturally-occurring substances that belong to the flavonoid family of nutrients. Flavonoids, found in virtually all plants, are pigments that give plants their amazing array of colors. Isoflavones like genistein reduce thyroid hormone output by blocking activity of an enzyme called thyroid peroxidase. This enzyme is responsible for adding iodine onto the thyroid hormones. (Thyroid hormones must typically have three or four iodine atoms added on to their structure in order to function properly.)

Crucifers
Second category of foods associated with disrupted thyroid hormone production is the cruciferous food family. Isothiocyanates are the category of substances in crucifers that have been associated with decreased thyroid function. Like the isoflavones, isothiocyanates appear to reduce thyroid function by blocking thyroid peroxidase, and also by disrupting messages that are sent across the membranes of thyroid cells. Boiling these veggies in water can reduce the presence of goitrogens by about 1/3.

Flax is also a goitrogen, and it should be avoided if you're hypoT.

HTH
Nat
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 19:39

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks for the info Nat

I just have 2 other questions.

1. Should you still avoid these foods if you don't have a thyroid?
2. Should you still avoid them and are you considered "Hypothyroid" if you're on meds and feel normal .. no hypo symptoms at all? I don't get that. I feel normal on meds, have no symptoms..but am I still considered "Hypothyroid"?

I've been getting into the juicing and raw vegetables thing.. I'd hate to have to cook them now.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 08:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoOwnsMe
Thanks for the info Nat

I just have 2 other questions.

1. Should you still avoid these foods if you don't have a thyroid?
2. Should you still avoid them and are you considered "Hypothyroid" if you're on meds and feel normal .. no hypo symptoms at all? I don't get that. I feel normal on meds, have no symptoms..but am I still considered "Hypothyroid"?

1) I don't think these would apply if you did not have a thyroid anymorek Keto. But I am not 100% sure.

2) Yes, you are still considered hypoT is you're on meds. The meds are now supplying the hormones you own thryoid could not. You thyroid might still be producing some hormones or it might not be producing any and everything is coming from the meds. You cannot be sure, unless you've had your thyroid removed. Eating those foods while being hypoT and medicated would probably necessitate an increase in your dose.

I would avoid the soy regardless, however.

HTH
Nat