Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 01:11

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%
Angry New Scales Horror!!!!!

I went out and bought a new pair of electronic scales to replace the old mechanical ones we have at home, as I thought that they would be more accurate, and...... Horror of Horrors they show that the old ones were underweighing by 8lbs .
I've therefore had to adjust my start and present weight in my profile and although I've still lost the same amount of weight this means I was even heavier before starting this WOL.

A little bit heavier than I thought......
Ken
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

Every scale weighs differently. Who is to say that the new one is right and the old one is wrong. I can get on my digital scale three times and get three numbers... all in the same 3 minutes.

The tricky thing is adjusting stats to the new scale. You didnt gain 8 lbs but if this is the scale you are keeping, then it has to be added... sigh... so many rules...

Holly
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 13:21

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

man I can relate to this!

I did exactly the same thing about a month ago. Had the same reactin as you too. Although the difference for me was only 6lbs.

You know in your head that you have lost the same amount but is sooo feels like you have put on weight

However - I'm pleased to say that one month on, and having adjusted my profile, I am well past all that I don't even give the original stats a thought

But for sure - I won't be changing scales again in a hurry

Lesley
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet Revolution Induction Programme
Stats: 251/233/140
BF:
Progress: 16%
Smile Blimey

Phew am I glad i had a quick look here! I am off to buy new electronic scales this weekend and did not give a thought to the fact that i may weigh different on them - thanks for the warning.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 12:35

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

Hi Ken,

Know how you feel, Mick brought his scales over for me to weigh on at the beginning and I didn't want to believe them but I had to, I don't worry about it now though...made me 4lbs heavier.

Uk posts seem a bit quiet without Fiona's input and have not seen much of Jon on the posts, have you heard from him?

LOL Bez
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 12:38

BF:
Progress:

Just had a thought - Why don't they ever weigh less?!!!!!

Bash those scales!

Bez
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 16:22

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

Here's a suggestion for figuring out if your scale is accurate. It took me a surprisingly long time to come up with it myself. If you own any dumbells (you know, for weight training) just pick up a five or ten pound (or whatever) weight and put it on the scale to see how it reads. If you don't own any dumbells, there are alternatives such as a ten pound sack of sugar (oops! you probably don't have that at home either, but you get the idea). The next time I go scale shopping I'm taking my 15 pound weight with me.

Missydog
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 16:28

Question Fiona & Jon

Hi Bez

In answer to your questions, I've not heard from Fiona for about 2 weeks, although I have seen her name listed as logged into the forums. I've not heard from Jon for about the same time as well. It does seem strange as they were posting regularly before then. I'm please to see that you are still around and haven't deserted the forum.

I wonder if the get-together talked about for 17th Nov is still going to take place and if so are you going to try and make it? Margaret and I are looking forward to meeting up with the others from the forum again.

With regards to the scales, I'm only assuming that the new electronic scales are more accurate than the old rusty mechanical ones. I must check at the weekend with a known weight (maybe a couple of bags of flour or sugar!!!!!!!). I'll let you know the results.

Take Care
Ken
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 16:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi folks,

Fiona had a nasty cold, and she's getting beter.

So until she get's back, how about making some rumors about her and Jon?

Wa'il
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 18:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Fiona posted a sweet note of encouragement in my Exercise journal this week, and Jon posted a progress update in his own Exercise journal last weekend. He has a new avatar pic as well, looking much slimmer!

I'm in the market for new scales too, since I'm experiencing the "weigh something different 5 times in a row" thing. Or depending on whether the scales are aimed east or south, it's a different reading. I'm sure any new scales will show a higher number.

Ah well, the measuring tape doesn't lie!

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 19:42

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile LOL Oh yeah of little faith!!

Hi there Everyone!

{Wail: how about making some rumors about her and Jon? }
About time I came and rescued my reputation. LOL!

Ken of course 17th November is still on. Looking forward to it. Hope the weather is as good as it was today. Sorry to hear about your instant weight gain on your new scales - Murphy's Law.

All this talk of new scales is making me wonder if I can blame my scales too!!! "No, Fiona dear much as you would like to u know you have been naughty ... " To tell u the truth I have no idea whether I am up, down or still the same - dare not go near the scales!

{Bez: Uk posts seem a bit quiet without Fiona's input } Awwww Bez Thank you. Haven't been too well. Was logging on but felt too tired to continue after about half an hour. Much better now. Went away for the weekend as well - did me a world of good.

How was your trip to Wales Bez?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 09:45

Hi Fiona

It's sooooo good to hear from you again, I hope that you are feeling a lot better now. I didn't doubt your reputation for one moment (It was just coincidence that Jon wasn't around at the same time) . As I said in my previous post both Margaret and I are looking forward to 17th Nov.

I checked the scales over the weekend using a 10.8kg box of soap powder and they appear to be correct. But as I've just posted in my journal update I've lose 5.5lbs this week . (I love these new scales..........)

Take care

Ken.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 10:03

BF:
Progress:

Brilliant weight loss Ken I don't know about the others but I was beginning to wonder about Fiona and Jon??!!!...only joking...Jon where R U!! Also, l'm looking forward to 17th too.

Nice to see you back Fiona, hope you're feeling better.

LOL all speak soon,

Bez

#14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 14:23

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Good to be Back!

I am much better, thank you. Still waking up with my nose blocked and in need of steam inhalation but I'm past the peeling nose stage.

And definitely back to Low Carbing which helps a lot.

Take care.