Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 10:42

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I just found Aradasky's experiment thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=444626

She quotes Volek and Phinney as recommending 1.5 to 2.5 grams of protein per gram of reference weight. If I use 150 as my reference weight, that makes it 102 to 170. Really? That seems high to me. And it's way higher that either my ketogenic diet book or the sites AJ recommended.

Seems high to me too, though it might be in the range of Mike Eades as I think his recommendations is quite high too in comparison to Dr. Ron Rosedale, per a talk he gave "The good, the bad, and the ugly of protein":

Quote:
You can go to a lot of textbooks that talk about .6 grams per kilogram. But one study that I think is very interesting . . . You can get into a ballpark. When you talk about 2 to 3 grams of protein per kilogram of lean body mass, that is certainly too much protein. ...

A high protein intake has endocrine effects such as it increases insulin, increases IGF, and we know these hormones increase the rate of aging. Furthermore the metabolic effect of high urea and many amino acids may exceed the kidney and hepatic system’s ability to metabolize and excrete the excess nitrogen.

In other words, when you use protein as a fuel, you take off the excess nitrogen, and then you have to do something with it. Because, it’s a poison. If you take too much, It causes acidosis in the blood and that causes redistribution of calcium and magnesium, and all sorts of things, and what the consequence are for that is manifold.

So what’s high. Certainly above 1 gram per kilogram of lean mass is probably high.

Most people, I’ll put on .7 or .75 grams per kilogram of lean body mass.

But if I’ve got a diabetic, and I really want to reverse their aging, which means reverse their diabetes, because diabetis is a model of aging, I’ll put them down to .5 or .6 grams per kilogram of lean body mass per day.

(My emphasis) http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2010...d-and-the-ugly/

He also talks about too high protein being an issue for cancer, which is of particular interest to me.

So, what's "lean body mass"? I plugged my current weight into this calculator and got:

Quote:
Results:
According to your measurements - weight of 165 pounds and height of 5' 6", your lean body mass is estimated to be 111.46 . Since the ideal body fat percentage for women is 22%, your ideal lean body weight is 101.88 pounds. Remember these are guidelines; your physician should help you determine the ideal weight and body fat for you.

You may be thinking that your lean body mass is your ideal weight or your weight if you were a true "lean machine." Well, it’s not. Your lean body mass is sum of the nonfat parts of your body like muscle, organs, blood and water. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/lean-body-mass

To get to their guideline of estimated 22% fat, I would have to weight 137. (Ha. The last time I weighed that would have been age 16!)

Since I'm diabetic, my current weight's protein target would be 56 and 67.

At my idea weight then, my protein requirement per Dr. Rosedale would be approx 51 and 61.

I believe someone said that Eades and Rosedale parted company over the protein issue. I wonder who's right??
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 10:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
... She quotes Volek and Phinney as recommending 1.5 to 2.5 grams of protein per gram of reference weight. If I use 150 as my reference weight, that makes it 102 to 170. Really? That seems high to me. And it's way higher that either my ketogenic diet book or the sites AJ recommended.

Did you mean 1.5 to 2.5 grams of protein per kilogram of reference weight?? One kg = 2.2 lbs ... so 150 lbs would = 68.18 kg

Doreen
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:07

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Did you mean 1.5 to 2.5 grams of protein per kilogram of reference weight?? One kg = 2.2 lbs ... so 150 lbs would = 68.18 kg

Doreen

Indeed I did! Thanks for catching that.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
At my idea weight then, my protein requirement per Dr. Rosedale would be approx 51 and 61.

This seems more like it to me. I'm also 5'6". I'm not diabetic, but I would definitely be type II if I went back to my pre-low-carb diet.

Yesterday I was almost up to 80 grams. And today I'm going to go over that - maybe 90 or 100. I'm surprised at how much protein is in things like cheese. And I just made that flax muffin in a cup - using 2T ground flax seed - and it had 9 grams alone.

I wish I were one of those people who'd been keeping track of my diet. I really have no idea how much protein I've been eating.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:24

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Did you mean 1.5 to 2.5 grams of protein per kilogram of reference weight?? One kg = 2.2 lbs ... so 150 lbs would = 68.18 kg Doreen

Well, hmm, 68 X 2.5, that would still be up to 170 g of protein, right?
I find that pretty high too.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Well, hmm, 68 X 2.5, that would still be up to 170 g of protein, right?
I find that pretty high too.

I originally mistyped and said to have 1.5 to 2.5 g protein per gram of reference weight. That would be a lot of protein.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:28

BF:

And according to that link to calculate lean body mass, my ideal lean body weight is 90 lbs!!! Seriously?
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:30

BF:

Quote:
I originally mistyped and said to have 1.5 to 2.5 g protein per gram of reference weight. That would be a lot of protein.

ah, indeed, lol!
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:35

BF:

Quote:
And according to that link to calculate lean body mass, my ideal lean body weight is 90 lbs!!! Seriously?

How tall are you? I'm 5'6", so I got the same results as JL for my ideal - 101.88. Somehow I had it in my head that 110 was ideal for my height. I can't remember where I got that idea, but that's pretty close to the 102 the website recommends.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:42

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Never mind, the thread moved super fast while I was futzing around. XD
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:44

BF:

I am 5'3'' nowadays, and medium build, so I am thinking more around 120 lbs. 110 would be fantastically thin for me. 90, rather anorexic looking. I honestly don't think my body would let me go that low. Do you?
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:52

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
I am 5'3'' nowadays, and medium build, so I am thinking more around 120 lbs. 110 would be fantastically thin for me. 90, rather anorexic looking. I honestly don't think my body would let me go that low. Do you?

When "lean body mass" is referred to that's the weight of your muscles, organs, etc. not including body fat, that's not the actual weight you should be at. I'm 5'4" and I'm shooting for 140 since I have a stocky build. Per that calculator my lean body mass is 94.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 12:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Costello22, that's 1.5–2.5g protein per kilogram of reference weight, not pound of reference weight. Divide 102–170 by 2.2 (the conversion factor for lbs to kg), and you get 46–77 g protein/day, which overlaps with the other recommendations.
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 12:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I approach lean body mass slightly differently — it requires calculating your current body fat percentage first. If you have a tape measure, you can use this online body fat % calculator. Then you calculate your lean body mass:

Lean Body Mass (LBM) = Your Body Weight – (Your Body Weight x Your Current Body Fat Percentage)
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 13:06

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Thanks for that link. First time I've seen one with some measurements, including neck which is interesting.