Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 16:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/209/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default channel 4 programme fat or fiction?

did anyone see this?it didn't throw up anything that we don't already know but it was mentioned that many of the products available in the U.S will be available here early next year.if anyone hears whcih supermarkets will be selling them, please post.the other thing that was interesting was that many eating places have a lo-carb or protein only menu.i wonder which chain will adopt that here?-it'll stop me going to burger joints with my daughter and embarassing her by throwing the bun away!
dolli xx

Last edited by dolli : Mon, Nov-17-03 at 16:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 16:43
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

I thought it was a good programme and wasnt all anti atkins, I was dead jealous of the u.s just walking into the supermarket and picking up all the low carb products, and the restruant that has a menu that caters for low carbers, maybe one day we will have this privellage.
The girl that tried following the diet I felt kinnda sorry for as she had a lot of the symptoms I first experienced when I first started Atkins, but luckly I had help advise and support from the people on this forum.... thanks everyone!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 16:57
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lburnikell
I was dead jealous of the u.s just walking into the supermarket and picking up all the low carb products

I went a bit mad over there...yes you can just walk into most large supermarkets (especially the dreaded Wal-Mart), to find a huge array of LC goodies. There's been an explosion in the last year; when I moved to the UK, I was not leaving a low carb paradise behind, you can be sure! And the health food stores in the US actually stock low carb high protein shakes, which I've found difficult to obtain here, because of the prevailing "wisdom" that eating anything close to adequate protein will somehow make our kidneys fall out.

Unfortunately, I did spend part of my holiday with the dreaded sugar-alcohol runs!

Emily

Last edited by tholian8 : Mon, Nov-17-03 at 17:00.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 17:13
Yo-Yo

I cant belive that Asda which is part of Walmart wont sell the goods, come on supermarkets you are missing out on a gold mine!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 17:14
Yo-Yo

ps Emily love the new picture you are looking great and I see the weight is still dropping of nicely, keep up the good work
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:18

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Programme was generally good but did rather over concentrate on the induction side effects. But overall it was good coverage.

I am not sure that it is necessarily a good advert for low carb for "Atkins" to be portrayed as a "lose weight quick" type of diet.

We all know that low carb is sustainable in the long term and can be rich in variety. The test subject shown (there had to be more than one giving a video diary) was selected for its extreme elements and to suggest the reverse.

Regretably I did not find myself that sympathetic to the subjects plight and had this irrisistable urge to shout at the television and suggest what she could do with the banana she was craving!.

It is worth looking out for a repeat if you missed it tonight.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Then again, most grocery stores do stock such "low carb products" as meat, fish, eggs, salad and vegetables. (Too bad we don't have an icon with "tongue firmly in cheek".)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 01:53
Yo-Yo

the thing i did find funny about the girl was she said the diet was hell and wouldnt be doing it but at the end she said she will be eating high fats and no sugar!! is that not a low carb diet??? lol
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 01:57
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Saw program. It was overall good and informational. I think however the girl in it went into doing Atkins with a negative attitude to begin with. Maybe if she started it with more positiveness she would have been more excited about the pounds she lost.

As far as the Atkins products not being found in the Uk, my Mom sends them to me so I don't have to wait till they finally have it here.

Take care,

Lily
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 02:01

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Atkins - Fat or Fiction

Summary of the programme. This was an hour documentary. I thought that it was very good and did not get worked up at all. As you would expect it was not 100% supportive, but I thought it told the story well. History about the Atkins diet was given and they even referred back to Banting and his letter of copulence. They also discussed how when it was published in 1972 it was lambasted in the US. Then of course the low fat movement came on board and it fell more into disfavour. The book was rewritten in 1992 in the US and once again the revolution started. There were people talking about the celebs in Hollywood on it, but more importantly that bread and chips are almost a thing of the past there. Starters or canapes appear to be mainly meat or tuna. They said in the UK about how it was catching on and that the bread, potato, pharmaceutical and slimming industries are all feeling the pinch because of it. Therefore for their own livelihoods they will look to discredit it. There were UK representatives from the Medical Research Council and Kings College London, both doctors, who were not keen on the approach, regarding it as unhealthy, but were not out and out against it. There were case studies of several people who had tried it with great success including one girl who lost 4 stone and conceived rather than having to have fertility treatment as she was expecting to have. They call the baby their Atkins child. They certainly said about it being a diet that men like as it does not seem like a diet and its clear guidelines are easy to follow. There was also a video diary of a girl who started Atkins and followed her for 3 weeks. Whilst she lost 10 pounds over the time she did not enjoy it and was cheating on cereal and some fruit. It was noticeable that she had a cold for much of the time and this would not have helped, so I'm not sure if this really affected her approach to it. I don't think she went into it with a positive frame of mind and this also did not help. We did not really see what she was eating so it is difficult to know if she was doing anything wrong. So overall a very good programme.

As others have said it was interesting seeing the Low carb supermarkets in the US. I've done alright without them. I wonder if we get all those goodies whether we would end up not losing so much weight as we are likely to increase our calorie intake with too much choice. Just a thought!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 02:46

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

I watched the programme last night as well. I had mixed emotions, but I didn't get as angry I usually get when I watch this stuff! Thankfully no Claire Sweeney!!

Pretty balanced view of the Atkins WOE. Some are thrilled with the results and some are not. That's life. I think I would have been disappointed if they just showed people who were successful and not one or two who weren't. I must admit that I wanted to shake the young woman they did the video diary on and tell her to log on to this forum for a little support and wisdom!!!! Doing any plan just for the short term results just ain't gonna work!!

I am going home to Boston in two weeks for my holidays and am looking forward to cruising the aisles for all the Atkins stuff you can't buy here (even less than the UK I think!). Some of my Irish pals have already made out their "wish list".

Katyspice
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 02:51

Stats: 232/219.4/210 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I was glued to this program last night. LittleAnne - your summary is pretty comprehensive! While I agree that the story about Atkins and his diet was told well but with minimal support from most of the professionals they spoke with (stuck in conservative diet approaches IMHO), I was VERY happy to hear one of them state that many professionals in the diet industry would have a lot to lose (not just face but money) if they endorsed the Atkins approache. AMEN!

Overall, I felt it was a bit of a boost for Atkins - no one came right out and said the diet was dangerous (didn't the British equivalent of the AMA say it was?), and those who were against the diet didn't have very convincing arguments. Especially if you've actually read Dr. Atkins' book.

That girl who did the video diary - the biggest winger I've ever seen in my life. She was so annoying - what was she even DOING on that program??? She cheated on the diet for starters, and she had absolutely NO imagination, creativity or intelligence in her approach to Induction.

"As far as the Atkins products not being found in the Uk, my Mom sends them to me so I don't have to wait till they finally have it here."

Lily - I'm JEALOUS!!!!!

-L
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 02:54

Stats: 232/219.4/210 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

OOPS - I meant approach....
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 03:54

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

I also watched and well thought that it was ok, the girl well I was almost yelling at the screen saying - drink more water! 2lb from your TOM, your in ketosis, log in here and find out how you are supposed to do it! But then its also a shame that she didn't ahve anyone to help out either - plus you are not supposed to exericse whilst induction and she had a police fitness test!! come on...

anyway it was nic eto hear the good stories - I also hope that some of the restaurants round here will pick up on the low carb way - although I don't eat out heaps it would be nice knowing you could chill out and enjoy your meal without having to make a scene by asking for alternatives.

All in all not bad although I really wish the 'against' doctors would read the book before slagging it off
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 04:08

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

As I was watching the programme I found myself holding my breath and thinking when the negativity was going to start and I must say I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed relatively well-balanced! Like almost everyone else I felt quite sorry for the girl especially when she failed her exam but I must admit she was pretty negative to start with so no one to blame but herself really. Plus she read the book and had some idea how long the withdrawal symptoms would last. On the positive side she looked very guilty eating the cereal so at least some part of her knows carbs are bad for her! All in all a good programme.