Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/250 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil

Hi everyone!
I've been gone for a while, but I'm back now...

Could someone tell me what coconut oil is and how does it help with Atkins?

Last edited by slb10003 : Tue, Mar-06-07 at 17:16. Reason: Font too big
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 17:56

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Oil of the coconut is a saturated fat the revs up the metabolism and improves thyroid function. With antibiotic, antifungal and antiviral properties it can strengthen the immune system. When applied to the skin and hair it helps to improve their condition including wrinkle removal. It also improves cholesterol by raising the HDL ( good ) cholesterol without affecting the LDL ( bad ) cholesterol. Coconut meat and milk also has many of the same qualities. Hope this is helpful. Here is where you can read more about this:
http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 18:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Wow! Thanks for the info!

Coconut oil sounds a like a great natural way to lower your cholesterol and lose weight too! I had no idea that coconut oil was so beneficial. Why don't they promote this?

Do you know where it can be purchased?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 18:19
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Does anyone know why coconut oil is more beneficial than animal fat?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 18:23

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 405/350/220 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 30%

I put a TB in my coffee every morning and sometimes cook my eggs with it. I plan to experiment with other dishes soon, when I get around to it.

I just had my bloodwork checked and all parameters are normal, and way below normal at that. I use virgin organic expeller-pressed coconut oil, purchased at local crunchy-mart. I have heard that wal mart carries some varieties (but not mine locally).

Best part is that it very much gives me satiety. When I miss a morning, I get hungry earlier than normal...about 2 hours earlier. I love the stuff.

But - since it is a saturated fat, those with pre-existing arterial disease should think twice/check with doc before consuming a lot.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 19:28

Plan: Confused
Stats: 223/192.0/140 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 37%

At my local Wal-mart I found the coconut oil at the very end of the regular oils on the very top shelve. I purchase the one that is in a white jar plus it's solid not an oil. Then the coconut milk (with everyones help) was found in the Asian Section on the very bottom shelve. They have 2 different kinds. One has a black label and one can has a blue label. I purchased the blue one. When I opened it up tonight it was thick not watery looking.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 19:33
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Ok thanks Frannie TN!
I'll check out Wal-mart and see what they have. I'm not sure you have a Vitamin Shoppe in your area, but I found out that they carry it too. It's produced by Nutiva. I'll have to see tomorrow. But I'm so anxious to try this coconut oil!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 22:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Does anyone know why coconut oil is more beneficial than animal fat?

Well don't dismiss the benefits of animal fats. But coconut oil should be included as an excellent source of medium-chain fatty acids and lauric acid ( also found in human breast milk ). Just think, by consuming coconut oil you have no need to worry if there is a shortage of flu shot medicine.Cancer and diabetes is virtually unknown among cultures who uses it regularly. I work around kids and I catch atleast one cold yearly. Presently, I have not had a cold this winter nor have I even had the slightest hint that I one is floating in my system. I have several toenails that have a fungal infection. They are finally clearing without medicine or lengthy foot soaks. A friend of mine who is a nurse is interested in seeing how much my toenails clear by adding coconut oil. The body does not store the oil as fat and it provides lots of energy because it revs up the metabolism. I began using it sporadically last April. However, I began using it regularly since Thanksgiving and I have lost 8 lbs. Now I use the oil, milk and the meat. The oil can also be used topically since it protects the skin and hair against sun damage, improving the texture. I am noticing that my skin and hair are improving in condition without using coconut oil topically so I want to see just what coconut oil will do just by injesting it for the time being. My upper arms used to have scaly patches which have vanished. I have had these patches for years. The thick dry skin on my feet is also softening and the athletes foot is almost all gone Yes, folks my feet were in bad shape.

I mix coconut oil in peanut butter. I add it to my coffee and I use it in stir frying. The milk makes very good berrie smoothies. I still use butter, olive oil etc. but I try to use coconut oil as often as I can. When I have bacon and eggs, I no longer fry the eggs in bacon grease. I fry my eggs in coconut oil. Drs. Mary Dan and Michael Eades are also advocates of including coconut oil in the diet.

Coconut oil is well documented in several publications. I like the book, The Coconut Miracle by Bruce Fife. He is very interested in how this works for me and I contact him ocasionally to let him know. I first read about CO in the 2006 winter edition of She Knows Low Carb magazine. I have been researching it since. Hope that this has been helpful.

mary
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 22:47
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I like it bc it's multi-purpose. Eat it, cook with it, put it on face and hair. And you can make candies with it! What's not to love?

It also has a very high smoke point, making it ideal for high-heat cooking. Great for deep-frying/pan frying, like crab cakes etc. It's a very stable fat.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 22:56

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 282/270/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Ok...I added cocoanut oil yesterday and today. Fried my eggs in it and put it in my coffee. First off, I was surprised it had no taste,and tonight I'm wide awake at almost midnight. Could this be a result of increased metabolism from the added co, or possibly just a reaction to starting lc? I haven't had trouble sleeping in so long I can't remember the last time. It's so bad tonight, my cat that sleeps with me is laying in my left arm like a baby, sleeping, and I'm typing one handed. Not complaining, I love her, but she has no idea what is going on and wants to be near me.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 07:18

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I first read about CO in the 2006 winter edition of She Knows Low Carb magazine. I have been researching it since. Hope that this has been helpful.

mary

This used to be available online, but last time I looked at the link it wouldn't work. Do you subscribe to it?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 08:02

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

BaronE, I've read that the state of ketosis can cause sleeplessness. Perhaps it will go away as you get more adjusted to the change in metabolic pathway.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 08:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFreeMe
This used to be available online, but last time I looked at the link it wouldn't work. Do you subscribe to it?

I did subscribe to it but haven't made an attempt to visit the site for over a month. This was a good magazine. I am going to go there right now.

Yep, I just went there and it is up and running.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 15:24

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 282/270/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

bkloots....I hope so...no sleep is no fun.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 16:32

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb10003
Coconut oil sounds a like a great natural way to lower your cholesterol and lose weight too! I had no idea that coconut oil was so beneficial. Why don't they promote this?

The general medical profession still goes nuts when you mention coconut oil, because it's a saturated fat, and we all know saturated fats are evil and will kill you.