Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 18:57

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Newbee Here!!!

Hi Everyone.

I am new to this forum but not new to CAD or LC-ing. I lost 40 lbs on CAD the first 6 months and was so thrilled. I went off of CAD for 2 weeks while I was on vacation and then got right back on plan and everything came to a screetching halt. I have not been able to lose any more weight since. Try as I may, I could not get the scale to move at all.

This past June I decided to try the Insulin Resistance diet. I had some reservations about eating carbs during my meals, but thought what the heck, I will give it a try. At first things started working out great. The scale finally moved and I started seeing new lows AND then I went on vacation again and got off of plan. Yep you guessed, right back to where I was with CAD.

Now I find myself bluurring the edges really bad on the Insulin Resistance diet, so I am thinking about coming back to CAD. In fact I am thinking of switching to CALP instead of doing CAD. I am presently reading the CALP book. This is the 2nd time I have read it. The first time I just skimmed thru it.

I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. I have the orginal CAD book. The one that says you can basically eat anything you want but to balance it. I know later on the Hellers came out with a revised edition of CAD where it is similar to CALP and they want you to start your RM with a salad and do the 1/3 balancing. I hate to be a dummy here, espcially since I am not new to CAD, but of course would be to CALP, what would be the difference between CALP and the new revised editon of CAD? I do know the CAD wants you to eat smaller meals at your CM's. I always thought the Heller's said that because on CAD your RM was not as strict. What is the difference between CAD and CALP, espcially with the new revised edition of CAD? I hope this question makes sense to all of you.

I hope you don't mind if I join your group. I probably won't start CALP until next week. I am looking forward to getting to know evryone.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 19:39
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Dianee!!! Just wanted to Welcome you to the forum. I havent been here myself very long but have made some great friends and have gotten lots of support. I KNOW you will grow to be addicted to this site, as it seems everyone else is!!!!I will leave the answers to Zuleika about the difference between CaD and CALP as I only read the CALP book. Zuleika KNOWS EVERYTHING!!!! and can guide you thru anything..."Vel" 's Journal or Tracy and we now know her is very inspiring as she just recently surpassed the 100 lb lost mark! She has experienced almost all the situations that you might come upon in daily life so hers is great to check out as well.. Really there is a lot of journals to look thru, Becca too, to see how everyone is doing CALP. Good luck to you and hope to chat with you again!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 20:22

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Hi Dianne,
Welcome to this forum. I am sure you know more about this than I do and can be a great resource for me. I have been on Atkins for over a year and just bought the CALP book, so am learning and attempting that program for the last 3 days. As I understand it the CALP is for us oldies. I am excited about it because it is more liberal and may be easier to live with than Atkins.

Do you have a Journal? If you start one it will be easier for us to find you to ask questions or give and get support. I was very glad to read the above post and see others who are doing CAD/CALP. Good luck in getting your answer. I know someone here has it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 22:21
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

well as I understand it CALP is a well balenced CAD with some specail options you can add in to help you lose weight like supplements and exercise. I list my plan as CAD becauce my book talks about balence and for me the balence is important and also I don't do any of those options that CALP talks about but basically i feel its the same plan...just more clarified etc...in CALP

AND Welcome I am so glad you found us CAD'ettes here this is an awesome place for support and I'm glad that i have it and all of you .....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 05:15

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

Diannee,

I consider myself to do CALP. The book clearly says that meal sizes are not limited, but to eat until satisfied and to keep the balance of types of foods. It doesn't matter if it's a CM, a CS, or a RM. Since, I also do WW with CALP, I don't eat high fat stuff too much and I exercise portion control. I don't worry about eating LC veggies if I am hungry, those won't hurt the plan.

I also post a journal daily, which you are welcome to check out for ideas if you need to. I have lost 150 pounds, 125 of which are from doing CALP, 25 from just WW.

I believe the other difference between the two books is the list of foods allowed was tweaked in the CALP book. I haven't compared them, as I am going the later book.

As the Heller's realized some things that they weren't aware of in the CAD book, they wanted to let people know, so they wrote the CALP book.

Last edited by kokle : Fri, Oct-24-03 at 05:19.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 06:00

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I am looking forward to getting back to CAD/CALP. I know when I was on CAD before, I never had any craving, nor was I obsessed with food.

I will probably try the CALP book at first. When I did CAD I was use to just a couple of eggs and once in a while would have some homemade sausage for my breakfast and for lunch was a little salad with about 3 oz of meat. Maybe by follwing the CALP program I will be eating a little more for my CM's by adding extra veggies, especially to my lunch CM and maybe I won't bet quite as hungry for when my dinner RM comes along, so I won't overeat.

I will start a journal, once I figure out how to do it. I haven't had a chance to go into everyone's journal yet, but I plan on doing that so I can get to know you all better.

Have a great day.

Diane
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:46

Plan: CALP
Stats: 289/274/142 Female 5'4''
BF:48% hand held unit
Progress: 10%

WELCOME DIANE! I'm new also, just into my 3rd week. Ive learned a lot in that time. My first week was fantastic and I attribute my success to adhering to CALP exactly as written. I now know that at 46yo I've become ultra sensitive to AS's, (can't do even a single sf mint or stick of gum, a few oz. of diet pop etc. w/o "feelin" it" later on!) red perppers (my garden is still full of them) broccoli, onions & tomatoes at CM's also slow me way down. Also, I get my best results from limiting the number of meals I eat (am currently trying a single CM at noon followed by my RM at 5pm). Don't have any advice for your post vacation stalls, although I'm sure some of the brilliant minds here will give their insight & invaluable assistance. Good to have you aboard!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:06

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Welcome, Diane--Sounds like you have a great start.. You're on your way!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:12

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Diane, welcome to the forum.

The CAD book that I follow was printed in 1991. I have read CALP, but didn't find it to be much different, except for the special options it talks about. I don't really think the plan has changed, I think the Hellers always intended the RM to be balanced, they just didn't do a great job of getting that across at first. I have gradually gotten my RM's to be more balanced but they are still far from perfect. Always room for improvement

Good luck with your new WOE!

Tracy
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:13

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Ooops,

I also meant to welcome Gogo and Mem2 to the CAD forum!

WELCOME!

Tracy
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:25

Plan: CALP
Stats: 289/274/142 Female 5'4''
BF:48% hand held unit
Progress: 10%

Thanks for the welcome, Vel (and Tess & Lowco, too!). Your photos are awesome! What success...I too am starting CALP with 100+ pounds to lose, nice to know you've already navigated the road I'm just starting. Looking forward to my journey with more confidence!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 12:37
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

If nothing else, you learned you can't jump off and on plan without having trouble. I've found with both CAD and Atkins, I only get results if I stick with it.

I've ironed out a few kinks with what other people say you can do, and what's in the book. I haven't read CALP, but CAD (new one) and CA Healthy Heart Program, which has similar info about AS and supplements. The biggest thing for me is balance. I'm aware that some people claim they still lose when their reward meal is basically an hour-long carb binge...but I can't do that.

Anyway...good luck and welcome.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:21

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

A big welcome to all the newbies. Our CAD group is really growing! The more the merrier. We can't have too much support in this important endeavor. This is a great place with lots of caring people. You've all made a great decision to be part of it.

Deb