Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 17:34

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default low-carb diet w/out meds?

I was wondering if anyone has had success with weight loss w/out going on metaforim or some other drug and by just going on a low-carb diet? It is going to be a while before I can get to see my doctor again to ask her to perscribe anything, and I really want to lose weight by the end of November for a formal!
Thanks!
Vicki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 20:26
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Vicki,

I know this is very late (I just joined this forum) and I noticed you are on CAD/CALP. I have been on CALP now for a year and while I have noticed all sorts of wonderful benefits and I love the eating plan, I didn't lose any weight till I added Metformin.

A lot of PCOS gals on Atkins however, do lose without meds, but I am not personally happy on Atkins as a WOL.(way of life). So, in my case, I am sticking with an eating plan which I am happy with and taking the meds.

Also, be aware that the longer you lowcarb (no matter what plan you are on) you will reduce your insulin resistance and begin to undo the damage which has been done, and things may begin working normally again (without meds). I think it will take longer though, especially if you are SEVERELY IR like I am.

Hope this isn't too little too late!

Squeezle
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 20:32

Plan: tkd
Stats: 150/146.5/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm glad you asked this question, because I would like to share my recent experience with you and also get some feedback from others as to what I should do.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 weeks ago. My testosterone was very high, my LH and FSH levels were 4 to 1, and my progesterone was 1.2 and the doc told me I don't ovulate. She prescribed Clomid and sent me on. I wasn't happy with my GYN because she didn't address insulin resistance so I set an appointment with an endocrinologist for about 4 weeks later.

I began low to no carbing. I ate lean meats, good fats, veggies, protein bars and anything else very low in carbs.

Right before I went for the visit (about 3.5 weeks after low carbing), I revisited my GYN and had them take a progesterone test again (just to be sure I don't ovulate). My progesterone showed that it had risen to 12.9 which is normal.

A few days later I saw the endo. She looked at all my previous testing. She prescribed Glucophage but also did another testosterone test (as well as IR test). I found out today that my testosterone is perfectly normal. It is 36 and the normal range is 26 to 70.

So all this to say, that after 4-5 weeks of low carbing, not only do I feel better and don't have blood sugar swings, but two of the 3 tests they used to diagnose me are now perfectly normal. By the way, I have never shown up as insulin resistant on the lab work ( I don't put much thought into this because I have learned that with PCOS the IR test may show negative even though you are.) It is very hard to detect, so many go by the IR symptoms instead of the paperwork. I am going to have my FH/FSH retested next week to see if that has improved. I'll keep you posted.

I have decided not to take the meds right now and see if I can sustain these good results through diet and exersise.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any opinion on not taking the meds?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 14:26

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 265/255/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

About 1 1/2 yrs ago my ob put me on Metformin. I went on the atkins diet and lost about 30 lbs right before I found out I was pregnant with my first child. I didn't really notice My son is 8 mos. old now, and I have not done anything to help PCOS since. I went on BC to prevent another pregnancy right after I had my son. I was on it for a couple of months and noticed my weight coming back rapidly. I just decided today that I would go back on the atkins diet. My doc said it wasn't a good thing to do, but it was really the only thing that helped me out.