Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 04:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/136/125 Female 173 cm (67.5 inches)
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Thin with PCOS-will low carb still help?

Hi... I have been diagnosed with PCOS, but I am thin! I have been reading all available info, and low carbing and loosing weight seems to help a lot of people and alleviate the symptoms of PCOS... But what can I do? At best I could afford to loose 10lbs, but then I will be REALLY skinny... My doctor gave me Provera so that I can have periods, and I am also on Glucophage 500mg twice a day.. But I would prefer to rather not take the stuff, it's making me feel dreaful.. Sometimes I feel so sick I wish I could die...

Will low-carbing help me, even though I don't have any excess weight to loose? I would appreciate if anyone in a similar situation could give me some advice...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 05:23
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Definitely!! You can do a moderate lc program which will maintain the weight you have while correcting many symptoms of PCOS. Also that you're taking Glucopage implies an insulin resistance problem and lc will correct that as well as put your blood lipids in order.

By moderate lc I mean with lower glycemic options of fruit and other foods and perhaps some lc bread.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 09:29

Plan: Not sure
Stats: 122/122/115 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default Thin with PCOS....

I too am thin with PCOS and I have been trying to conceive for 20 months now. I was also put on Glucaphage and I HATE IT! Glucaphage makes me very irritable, tired, sick and jittery. I am so glad there is someone else out there with a similar situation. I have not even considered a LOW CARB diet, but I will now. This will be VERY difficult for me because my favorite foods is BREAD, Cereals, any Italian foods and Ice Cream. But, I will do all that I can to have a baby and if a low carb diet will help me out then I will do it. I wouldn't mind loosing lbs. but last time I was at that weight I was told I look anorexic. If there is any advice for me please share I am open to new ideas.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 08:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

YES! My doctor told me it is the best eating plan for someone with PCOS even if you are at goal weight.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 01:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/176/130 Female 151 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%

Low carbing will stop the low blood sugar jittery, irritable tired stuff. Training your body to rely on protein and fat for energy seems to keep my blood sugar on a lovely even level. This is just my experience but I'm happier and weigh less than I have in 10 years.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 08:42

Plan: Not sure
Stats: 122/122/115 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default Low Carbing can be helpful for thin women too....

I have been working on Low Carbing for a month now and it is not easy. But, I figure by eliminating some of the carbs should help. I have not lost any lbs. just yet because I am maintaining not trying to loose weight. I have no idea if low carbing has helped but I did get a positive pregnancy test that ended within days after taking the test. The good news I finally got a positive test! So I will continue to strive, I will continue to do my very best to eat low carb and I will continue with the Meds even though they make me miserable, if the end result is a happy healthy baby I will do anything! I would recommend giving the low carb maintenance a shot. Make sure to talk to your doctor and she how he/she feels about it. Secondly, remember to get second opinions sometimes a third opinion. Take CHARGE of your future!!!!