Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 11:04

Plan: South Beach (was Atkins)
Stats: 150/141/125 Female 62 inches
BF:Apparently
Progress: 36%
Smile Let's start a new turtle thread...

It seems like all the other Turtle threads are old or dried up.

I've only been back on Atkins 10 weeks, and the first month I lost 10 lbs (which was only the 10 lbs I gained between Thanksgiving and Christmas). And nothing since then. It's like the last time I did this and my body hit it's set point and I just stopped losing. Except I'm 18 lbs heavier! It sucks.

I'm very comfortable with the way I'm eating and this is a WOL for me. I'm so happy to have my blood sugar stabilized. I forgot how good I feel on this diet. But my body just will not give up the weight.

And it's not like I'm "thin" and my body is happy at this size, I'm easily a good 15 lbs overweight at the minimum. And I'm getting smaller, but only in very tiny increments. I'm still wearing a size 12, which is where I started. And for reference, I'm only 5' 1". Trust me, size 12 is in no way thin on my frame.

I think the thing that really ticks me off is that when I did Atkins the first time, I lost 15 lbs in about 6 weeks. And now I'm stuck at the weight I started at last time!

And I feel like I'm doing everything right. I cut back on cheese and nuts. I don't drink coffee, only green tea sweetened with stevia. Sadly, I think I'm going to have to start counting calories. And I do not function well when hungry.

This is all just very frustrating. I finally get through induction flu and I'm completely dedicated to this WOL, and my body isn't cooperating.

Vent over. Thanks for letting me share. Anyone with me on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 11:40

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi Nancy! I do understand your frustration. I've been stalled now for 13 weeks. Now in all honesty, I haven't been cheat free that whole time. Christmas to New Years wasn't the best for me and I did have a major blowout this past week-end, but other than that, I have been sticking to plan fairly well, I do exercise at least 5 times a week and I drink the water. Last week, I did start counting calories strictly and I did lose abit before my blow out weekend, so that is something I may have to do also. I really don't like doing it though. I have been trying lots of things...calories up, calories down, carbs up, carbs down, more water, cut out various food items, like nuts and cheese, cut down on coffee and the list just goes on and on. It seems my body likes this weight, although I don't! I'm not planning on going off this WOE any time soon. I'm diabetic and if nothing else, it does control my BG, but I sure would like to start losing again! So, I'm with you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 14:01

I know what you mean. I've already tried all those things too and nothing happened! People say don't eat cheese or nuts. It makes no difference. Whatever is keeping me at this weight is not showing up. I'm finally at the point where I have the will to do this, and nothing is happening. I'm longingly looking at the liposuction ads in the paper.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 17:47

BF:

Nancy- I'm sorry! I thought I had this thread subscribed to, but I guess I didn't. I just noticed your post in the sticky on top of here by accident and then I felt bad that I hadn't responded! I understand your frustration. I too cut out the nuts and cheese for a couple of weeks, but nothing really changed. I'm starting to think that maybe with my smaller body, I am just plainly eating too many calories. I was playing around with the My Plan tool on here and thought I'd start really focusing on calories and see if that makes any difference at all for me. I sure wish some other Turtles would come join us here. I noticed Kisal just posted in the sticky too. It would be great to compare notes. I think another thing I'm really starting to have a hard time with is motivation. It seems that the longer I'm stalled, the more it's getting to me and my motivation is slipping slowly. I don't want that to happen. It would be great to know what other Turtles do to keep the motivation up during these slow times! Anyways, I hope you see this post and don't think I abandoned you!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 19:39

Hey, thanks for coming back! I'd actually taken a while off from posting too. Forgot to even check this group until I posted in the stickied thread.

I agree about the motivation. It's really hard to stay motivated when you're getting no results. I actually took a day off today for the first time. I haven't cheated AT ALL this whole time. I ate a small box of Robin's Eggs, which are malted milk balls covered in candy. I always eat some around this time of year because that's the only time they're available.

Now I'm sitting here in diabetic shock. Just for fun I thought I'd check my blood sugar, it's 177 !!!!! It's never that high, it's always below 100. Well, I'm sure it'll do it's usual, which is drop well into the ugly depths (I'm not diabetic, I'm hypoglycemic). Luckily I'm going to eat dinner soon.

That's my only planned cheat. I'll get back on the bandwagon tomorrow.

The other thing that's really making it difficult to want to stay with this plan is that I've been really feeling like I'm in induction flu all the time. It's like I have to get back into ketosis every day, but I don't think I'm doing anything bad. I'm going to eliminate all carbs except vegetables and see how it goes.

Thanks for writing back. It feels good to get out the frustration sometimes. It just that I feel like I'm really making an effort, especially with the induction type headaches I'm getting, and I'm just getting no results.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 11:37

BF:

Quote:
The other thing that's really making it difficult to want to stay with this plan is that I've been really feeling like I'm in induction flu all the time. It's like I have to get back into ketosis every day, but I don't think I'm doing anything bad. I'm going to eliminate all carbs except vegetables and see how it goes.
I found this very interesting because when I first started low-carbing I started with Atkins. I stuck with it for about 6 months very faithfully. That "induction flu" that everyone talks about never went away for me. I was weak, fatigued, headaches and suffered from nausea most days. I read and read and kept asking people what to do that whole time. I got lots of suggestions that I tried, but nothing seemed to work and then I just got to the point where I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. So I quit, but this didn't last long because I'm diabetic and I knew low carb was the only thing that controlled my BG. Anyways, I had lost about 25 pounds on Atkins, but then had stalled after the first 2 months. I started searching for alternatives that I could actually live with for life and decided on South Beach. I lost an additional 25 pounds on South Beach in the first 2 months and then have been stalled ever since again. It seems to be a pattern for me. The whole point of my story here though, was I was like you and had lowered carbs on Atkins, but I just felt worse and worse. Somehow when I switched to SB, I started feeling great. I still do. The thing I attribute it to is the increased carbs. I've always thought my body was just weird, but I've heard this same story from a few people already. Yet there are those who do Atkins and feel great the whole time! Who knows? I think it's all an experiment to see what our individual bodies like! Hopefully we will both find out what that is exactly. Let me know how it goes when you lower your carbs, in terms of both weight loss and how you feel!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-07, 19:33

Plan: Dr. Berg/Atkins
Stats: 157/153/135 Female 5'8"
BF:not sure now
Progress: 18%
Default another turtle

It is hard when you get no results. I cheated in my second week of induction because I was like, what's the point?

I'm back on the wagon, but I definately need turtles to keep me motivated.

What keeps you guys motivated?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-07, 21:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/160/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up

I'm really sorry you're so far down in the dumps , but I want you to know that you are doing great!! I don't know if I can offer anything you will find useful, but my first suggestion to you is stop weighing yourself and have some trust in your body and your WOE. I've only been doing this for about 3 weeks, but I haven't weighed once. I'm just putting my faith in the fact that it's going to work - eventually it has to work. I don't want to let myself get caught up the the self tourture of not seeing the scale respond as quickly as I would like. Start looking for small changes in your body like for instance the other day I started noticing that just maybe I could see my waist line coming back, and maybe the ass of my jeans felt like they had a little more room. I just want you to know that you are doing wonderfully, and if we just keep on plugging away the weight has no choice but to go away!! I know I need to excercise right now, so maybe that could be a soulution for both of us? Anywhooo - keep up the great work and never forget to believe that it's working. The mind is a very powerful tool; we can will ourselves to be anything we want to be (just have the dedication to back it up
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-07, 01:16
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm here, and I am a turtle! When you're a turtle, there is rarely much in the way of "news" to post! I was stalled from June of 2006 until December of 2006. Neither gained nor lost so much as an ounce in all that time, although I was very faithful to my eating plan. I lost 5 pounds the first week of Dec, and then nothing more. I switched to Atkins on Jan 15 of this year, thinking the more regimented eating plan would get me losing again. It didn't. In desperation, I went on the Fat Fast early in March. Wow! It worked! During the 5 days I was on the Fat Fast and the 7 days I was on the Modified Fat Fast, I lost a total of 8 pounds. Then I gained a few back.

But I actually am losing again. I have come to realize now that part of the reason I lost so well during the Fasts was the very low calorie levels -- first 1000 cal/day, and then 1200 cal/day. I can lose weight on 1200 cal/day, but it's very slow, maybe 1 or 2 lbs/month when I'm lucky. I have a difficult time staying at 1200, or even 1300 cal/day. I can do it for about 3 days, and then I get so hungry that I just eat. Even though I always eat the foods that are allowed on Induction, my "pig out" sessions still cause me to gain a few pounds, which I then have to lose again. Fortunately, they come off within a day or two, at most.

This is the way it is going for me. It is very tedious. I think I may have lost another pound today, and with luck, and it might have been 2. I forgot to weigh this morning until after I had already had 4 cups of coffee and some bacon and eggs. I was only 1 lb up from my all time low of 212. I debated whether I could just subtract a pound or 2 to at least compensate for the coffee, but I decided to just wait and see what the scale says tomorrow.

I'm just glad my turtle seems to have gotten his legs back under him, so he can proceed one agonizingly slow step at a time toward Onederland!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-07, 05:40

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Well, guys, hello. I think I belong to this group now. I started a month ago and lost 12 lbs the first two week, but now, after a month of faithfully doing induction, I have gained 3 lbs this week, so I have only lost 9 lbs.

It is very sad, but I have so many health issues, that I am not going to complain. I can barely walk for a little bit, my blood sugars and blood pressure are high in spite of the medications I take. Also my thyroid keeps not working so they have to increase the medication.

I am staying on this WOE permanently, so eventhough I say I don't care if I lose, at least I don't want to see a gain. I think that is water weight. I have felt that I was retaining a lot (heart issues too). Maybe next week will be better.

I was eating prosciutto and I think it was too salty for my body. I have quit and also reduced my salt intake. This is very important for me because this past year I was hospitalized 4 times with heart problems and I don't want that happening this year. I truly want to feel better and be able to excercise a bit. This past two weeks I have been in bed most of the time. Not feeling well and with an unbelievable lack of energy. I guess it was from my thyroid, because the doctor increased the medication again.

So people, I am here to keep you company.

SadLady
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 02:59

Plan: low carb
Stats: 175/156/140 Female 166 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi everyone,
just posting in simpathy as I am a turtle too.
Started low carb before christmas and as of today have lost 1 stone. On one hand this good because it is going the right way but on the other it has taken nearly 4 months, you do the math and just see that the weekly weight in is never going to be great. I try to cope by telling myself that I am not stalled, it is just that my scales can not tell me when I have lost a third or a quarter of pound!
I have tried to cut the cheese, the nuts, the SFdrinks, the coffee, the... well you get the jist of it...
the bottom line is I am a turtle and I've got to remember that because the flip side of the coin is that the turte gets there in the end.
Iph.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 07:44

Stats: 205/205/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello, fellow turtles.

I have been a turtle all my life! I was slow to become overweight! Slim until 45ish.

Slow to recognize I must take action!

Now slow to get it off.

Everything just takes me a bit longer.

My daughter and I call it muddling. We are definitely muddlers.

But I'm here and I'm really trying.

The "Thirty Pounds By Summer/May/Whatever" would never work for me.

I need this.

Two weeks of induction but may have sabotaged myself one night by eating Wendy's Large Chili. 35 carbs. I was starving, it was late and well, there was Wendy's.

Riding my stationary bike most days and getting my heart rate up to 115 usually twice a day for 15 minutes. Not great, not what my doctor wants but then I am a turtle.

BUT, I have changed my mindset. In the 'olden' days, during one of my previous failed diet attempts I would have said, oh well, only five minutes what's the point. Now I say, only five minutes is only five minutes.

In the 'olden days' I would have said, one meal of pizza, oh, well, could not hurt. Now, I say every bite I put in my mouth hurts.

The bad news on by cholesterol came back this week. I have a prescription to fill. I am going to pick it up but not take it for six weeks. I am trying to get my cholesterol down with diet and exercise.

Isn't this always the way, it always comes down to numbers, grades, finance, choesterol, blood pressure. Everything is calculated in numbers even every bit I take. So, what I put in my mouth DOES matter.

I know that sounds dumb but I have been telling myself that it does not matter for so long, that I have impaired my health.

I would diet and not loose weight but what I did NOT appreciate was that I was NOT gaining weight. I have averaged a weight gain of 3/4 pounds a month since menopause and my blood pressure and cholesteral levels reflect that gain.

Turtle is fine but I Must make progress.

Thanks to all for the Turtle Thread.

Lee

Last edited by leeanderse : Sun, Apr-01-07 at 07:57.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 08:40

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Default Can I join you in the pond?

Greetings fellow turtles - can I join you in the pond?

I started LC almost 4 years ago - on my 36th b-day. My posted start weight is my original weight - I lost a bunch on my own starvation plan before finding DANDR. In 3 months on LC I lost ~20# to where I am now and have been stuck since then. I had thought I would have been at goal by now.... I'll be 40 in July.

I go up 5, down 6, up 4, down 5....over and over and over but the belly never goes away. I'm a little higher than my posted weight - 145 this morning. I stopped bothering to update because it was really annoying!!

Before anyone suggests that I am at goal weight, I have a really small frame on my 5'9" body and carry the last of my extra weight in my belly in rolls - the rest of me is fine. I exercise in the gym - running on treadmill and lifting weights. I also belly dance once a week (soooo much fun).

I've tried upping/lowering calories and carbs, increasing/decreasing exercise, more/less water, cutting different foods out... all the stuff we turtles do.

Since last Tuesday I am back to writing it all down and counting calories and carbs again. I'm going to keep carbs under 25, reduce my dairy, raise my fats and actually let myself feel hunger before I eat.

So far I am at the lower end of my "down 5" and I am hoping for a new smaller number soon......

Good luck to us all!

Julie
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 09:17

BF:

Welcome new Pond Pals!

It's great to see some people posting here ( not that we like our fellow lowcarbers to become Turtles), but you know what I mean...it's nice to have the support of others in the same boat ( or pond ) as us! I do think for Turtles, it is hard to keep up the motivation and if anyone has any great ideas, it might be nice to list them because I sure could use a good dose about now. It seems to come in spurts for me these days. The only thing keeping me hanging on is that I know I have to do this for life ( I'm diabetic), so quitting is not an option. Even though my BG is controlled, it would be nice to lose more weight though. I think it would be great if we could share our strategies ( especially if you find something that is working for you ) I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here and I hope you post often..even if there's no "news"
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 09:20

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:

What keeps me faithful to this WOL is the fact that most of my family is fat and diabetic (mom, dad, sis) and I sit on the fence between diabetic and not. I was leaning to the "wrong" side of the fence until I started to LC. Now I'm OK.

It's tough to stay motivated when the scale and tape measure are so uncooperative but I have no choice!

Julie