Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 07:08

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Ladies who are 5 feet 8-9 inches, what is your goal weight?

How long did it take to get you there? If you don't mind, what size are you? I'm trying to support my own theory that health, comfort and beauty comes in a variety of (numerical) figures.

Last edited by MPrufrock : Tue, Jun-23-15 at 19:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 07:21

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 225/185/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Really High!!
Progress: 80%

I'm 5' 9", have lost 14 pounds and currently weigh 211. My goal at the moment is 170, but I really think I will look way too skinny, so I MAY adjust upward to 180.
I have not been overweight my whole life, in fact, I'm 58 years old and have only been overweight since 2004, so 11 years. I know what I look like at 170 and I think it may be too low for an old gal like me 😉
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 07:23

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 225/185/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Really High!!
Progress: 80%

Oh and I'm currently size 14-16, but mostly 16. I was size 18 a month ago. Are you 158 now? How tall are you?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 07:40

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, MP. I'm a tad shorter, 5' 7" and I weigh in the mid-130's most of the time. My vanity weight from younger years is 128-129, but I am not willing to live the way it would require for me to stay there. I have a medium build, perhaps on the large side of medium frame. Even at 140, most folks think I look slender. I just feel better about myself if I stay in the 130s.

I use the old-fashioned clothing standards , and wear very loose-fitting clothes, Misses size 12.

Here is the original document of industry clothing standards of 1971 , which was withdrawn in 1983, if I have those dates right.

This blog analogme gives some information as to how the size standards came about, and the previous standards. When I was in high school, my mother's clothes,

What I wore as a size 10 in 1973, was the same size as the older clothes from my mother, with a label marked "size 16".

I wish the industry had kept the same standards in clothing sizes.

Having been brought up with Twiggy and Audrey Hepburn, and the George Balanchine ballerinas, as examples of what women ought to look, the harsh mistress of vanity is still there.

Does all that help any?

Best wishes to you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 09:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

At 5’9” my only "real goal" is 169, the number that moves me out of an overweight BMI into a Healthy BMI. It was seeing Obese on a doctor's chart that spurred me to change. My original goal was 160, and I got there, but it was so hard to stay there without serious calorie restriction, which led to some thyroid like symptoms. I leave 165 as a goal for some cushion, but don't work hard to get there..a dangling carrot. 171 today..close enough. Took me about a year and half to lose 60 pounds...but the key is I've kept off almost five years and am very healthy. I did get married at 35 at 154 pounds, but thirty years later, not a good look. As discussed in other posts before, LC plus exercise = more muscle. I can wear my wedding dress now no problem.

I am a US size 12 for most things, and can not go lower than a Large top or sweater because I have broad shoulders and long arms for an old women...German farmer genes with a large, strong frame good for plowing
I see models my height at 120-130...I'd be dead.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-23-15 at 13:31.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 19:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlcer
Oh and I'm currently size 14-16, but mostly 16. I was size 18 a month ago. Are you 158 now? How tall are you?

I am currently 158 at 5 feet 9. I'm 30 years old and wear a comfortable size 6 (whatever that means with vanity sizing now). I lift weights 4x a week. I have been bulimic at 140-45, so I have no intention of being there again. For me anything under 150 is a slippery slope towards an eating disorder, so I'm making my own rules. I suspect my body is on its way to settling here since my weight loss has tapered off from 6-10 a month to 2 in the last month.

I think I looked great at 175 or so as well. A lot of it had to do with perspective and health because I'm also a type 2 diabetic. Since I was exercising, I had a nearly flat stomach and strong arms at that weight. If that's your goal, I think you would feel and look great. Please continue on your own path and make decisions that work for you. I'm sorry I can't share a pic publicly, I'm a college professor so I feel somewhat nervous about curious students. I can PM you my instagram profile if you wish.

Last edited by MPrufrock : Tue, Jun-23-15 at 19:54.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 19:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm

Here is the original document of industry clothing standards of 1971 , which was withdrawn in 1983, if I have those dates right.

This blog analogme gives some information as to how the size standards came about, and the previous standards. When I was in high school, my mother's clothes,

What I wore as a size 10 in 1973, was the same size as the older clothes from my mother, with a label marked "size 16".

This is fascinating, thank you for sharing. According to this chart, I would comfortably fit in a 14. I have thought a lot about ideals of female beauty in the last 10 years, for professional and personal reasons. The conclusion I have come to is that numbers should not determine self esteem but stay within the realm of fact. If clothing fits, I am happy to buy it regardless of the tag on it. That sizes zero (triple and double too!) exist these days is something of a tragedy. It would seem as if a woman's value increases as she physically occupies less and less space in the world.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 02:56

BF:

MPrufrock, I, too, found those standards and the history fascinating. The tyranny of numbers set by others is so prevalent.

I agree about the vanity sizing. I remember when I discovered, in the late 1970s, that at the finer department stores, clothes were marked a size smaller, at the same measurements. At the lesser stores, a dress marked size 12, would be a size 10 at the fancier department stores. That led to the vanity sizing that exists now.

I think the point you made about size and value is excellent food for thought, and points to how women are socialized to value themselves according to how some external "they" sees them. It takes much gumption to leave that behind.

Each new generation of women goes further into that freedom, it seems to me.

Last edited by SilverEm : Thu, Jun-25-15 at 03:01.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 10:44

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am 5'10" and I have gotten to 160 lbs and still have a lot of fatty spots on my belly and things. I really needed muscle to be built up. My goal is 150 lbs and hoping will have more muscle by that point.

my mother is 5'8", she loves vanity sized clothing, she actually thinks that size 8 is her real size. Mother gets all upset if she gets under140 lbs, she thinks those collor bones are not meant to be seen and panics that she is under weight. Truethfully, she could stand to loose another 20 lbs, she has a huge belly and fatty thighs to loose it from.

I think many of us are used to seeing us as being fat so are afraid of taking the weight lower. Ya, everyone screams that they are "too skinny" but I think thats in the eyes of the beholder. Everyone is used to seeing everyone heavy so that is the norm now.

Personally, I say work on loosing weight till you like what you see and hold it there. Weight on a scale will food you, a muscular person at 150 lbs will look a lot slimmer than a non muscular person at 150lbs.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 11:57

BF:

Sexym2, I think it's true that many now think that chubby is normal. When I was in junior high school (in the late 60s), we were told to calculate weight by the standard of a five-foot girl/young woman at 100 lbs. and for each inch above five feet, to figure five lbs. We all thought that was way too heavy.

When I weigh under 135 now, some people will tell me I look too thin, and I always think it's because they don't see themselves as they really look.

One of the things I really like about keeping a low-carb, real-food life, is that the body composition is always improving. It does for me, at least. I have found some supplements and exercises that help, too.

Muscle tone definitely makes someone look nicer.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/193.6/159 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I am 5'9 and currently weigh 197 down from 209. My goal weight is 159 for a 50# weight-loss. I am 49 yrs old. Up until my 30's I would weigh anywhere between 135-150. But, after my 30's just kept adding 5#'s here and there and before I knew it I was 209 and wearing a 14/16. I'm still in a 14. But, if I remember correctly I think at 159 I will be wearing a comfortable 11/12, but who knows now because I carry quite a lot of weight in my waist and boobs. My tops are large to x-large, even at my lowest weight of 135 because of my shoulders and arms. So my goal is 159 ~ 5'9.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 12:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

It's Not the Number! it's about feeling good.
Mark's Primal Blueprint Friday Real Life story perfect for this thread, a 5'10” woman at 170. Story includes 195, to 144, and back to 170.
Exactly my weight this morning but I don't look like her either, but then at 64 I am not about to start Cross-Fit!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/its-...ut-feeling-good

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-04-15 at 12:43.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 20:09

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Im 5'9"...have maintained 137-142....for 18 months....I have exercised regularly for the last 28 months...I am a sz 2...occasionally a sz 0...I am in great shape...I m 60yo...in my 20's I was 132-140...Ive found the plan that works...when I work it..I am extremely active in my life...I am post menopausal....so that has been problematic in that I cant play around with my carbs as I could 29 yrs ago..Im not obsessive...just consistent...

I know that when I get stupid with my eating...I need to catch it quick
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-15, 14:50

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:

Interesting. I am 5'9" and have a goal weight of 170. This was the last weight that I felt really good at and felt easy to maintain.

At my current height, I weighed between 150-155 in High School. When I went into the Army at age 19, they told me I was 5 pounds overweight (155) and couldn't join until I lost those 5 pounds. I wasn't particularly chubby and participated in sports regularly. My lowest weight was 140 when I was in the Army at a post where I was running 3 miles twice a day and not really eating much. I normally stayed around 145-150. I was normally 5 pounds under the weight limit. I do remember feeling bad that I had bigger thighs and booty and smaller bust. I wished I could move some of the weight from my lower regions to my bust. This was the late 80's/early 90's. I wore size 11 juniors. I was always just fitting into the largest size and most pants were usually too short due to my extra long legs. Wore a lot skirts back then.

I weighed 160 when I met my husband and maintained that through birth of our 2 kids in 1994 and 1995. Then I weighed 180-5. I worked 2nd shift and often ate out of the vending machine - candy bars and Diet Coke. Got up to 195 in 2001. I started a new job and they had a weight watchers group. I lost 30 pounds in about 4-5 months and kept all but 5 of it off until I started gaining weight in 2007.

By my late 30's, I was gaining weight rapidly and tired all the time. I remember going to see the doctor. She told me I was just getting to be "that age." When I think about it now, that is just nuts. I ended up gaining 115 pounds over the next 8 years.

I started this WOE 10 months ago and have lost 84 pounds...26 more to go. I have people who have only known me as fat (by 2009 I weighed 230) that are shocked when I say I want to lose 26 more pounds. To be honest, there is a gal I know who confided in me that she weighs 200(I weigh 196). I look smaller than she does (we are the same height). I exercise more regularly than she does and have better muscle tone. I wear a size 12 in today's sizes.

I am an active person. I do activities I enjoy: ice skating 4x/wk, weights 3x/wk, and yoga 5x/wk. I only do things I enjoy. I am not willing to kill myself doing HIIT and running is hard on my knees. I plan to keep on eating LCHF. I am going to do all I can reasonably do to get to 170. If my body wants to stay above that or go below that, it is all good with me.

I want to be fit, healthy, and strong. I am not worried about having a big booty (always going to) or not having thigh gap. That is how my body is built. I am just using numbers on the scale and sizes on clothes as road markers to see how far I've come. I am not going to be body shamed by anyone who thinks my natural body shape is less than.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-15, 15:24

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

At 5'9" my goal is 139. I'm 48 and I wear a 6 on the bottom and a 10 on the top. Perhaps as I get closer to goal weight, I will change it up or down depending on what the mirror and my own common sense tells me.

After a lifetime of being overweight I don't anticipate a perfect 6 pack or any thigh gap. I'm after a healthy long life; not the life of the rest of my family who are all fat and sick.

Good luck whatever you choose.