Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 17:41

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Freckles on Fitness

Alrighty then....was thinking there was really no reason to start a gym log...but then thought, what the hey....my journal has been a really helpful tool, so this might be too.

On Monday, March 22 I started doing the hourglass routines from Escape Your Shape. Prior to that I had been riding my stationary bike about 4-5 x per week and doing sit-ups, push-ups, and leg-lifts about 2-3 x per week for about a month. So, as you can see, I lost the majority of my weight (55 lbs.) without exercising at all. Now I'm getting to a point where I'm fearful that if I don't do something to start toning, that I will get to goal and be sorely disappointed. (I'll probably be sorely disappointed anyway, but at least I will have tried.)

So here is what I'm doing:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Beginner Core Workout

Warm-Up
20 minutes on stationary bike at 70 rpms, lowest resistance

Stretches:
Arm Circles
Triceps
Upper Back and Chest Stretch
Spine Twist
Hamstrings
Legs-Apart Hamstrings
Groin
Quadriceps
Calves

3 minute aerobic interval on stationary bike at 90-100 rpms, lowest resistance

Standing knee to opposite chest 15 per leg
L-Kicks 15 per leg

3 min. aerobic interval at 90-100 rpms lowest resistance

Upper Body 15 reps each
push-outs
behind the kneck press
front press
upright rows
bicep curl
tricep kickbacks

Abdominals, Hips and Thighs 20 reps each w/ 30 sec rest between
sit-ups
leg-outs
vertical scissors
alternate leg raises
elbows to knees
knees to elbows

Repeat upper body routine

Cool down - 3 minutes on bike at 50 rpms, lowest resistance

(Right now I am using a 1 lb. wooden bar until I can find something appropriate to use that weighs 4 lbs. I think this is a good thing, as I have trouble doing the upper body with the 1 lb. right now anyway.)

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Beginner Off-Day Routine

Warm-Up
30 minutes on stationary bike at 70-90 rpms, lowest resistance

Stretch
same as core workout days

25 jumping jacks
1 minute walk
25 jumping jacks

Cooldown
3 minutes on bike at 50 rpms, lowest resistance

Things are going well...have had some minor muscle pain in my abdomen and major muscle pain in my left calf. I have had several blood clots in this leg and attribute the pain to that...the exercise is getting the blood flowing again, which is good, but causing pain. It has eased up as the week has progressed.

I will update only on days I don't complete the workout, or if I change anything, so for now this will be a quiet log. I intend to continue with the beginner routine until it becomes REALLY easy for me to do with the 4 lb. bar...and since I don't have the bar yet, it will probably be awhile.

Here are my beginning measurements in inches taken March 21:
Neck.............14
Shoulder........42.25
Chest............39.75
Waist............33
Abdomen.......32.25
Hips..............38.75
L Thigh..........23.5
L Knee..........14.5
L Calf............15
L Ankle..........9
L Arm............12.75
L Forearm.......9.75
R Wrist..........6.5

(surgery to left wrist makes measurement off)

I do a complete measurement once per month and will update at those times too. So there you have it...I'm fully exposed now!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 19:19

BF:

Tuesday and Wednesday I was feeling bad and so did not work out. Today I got back to it and did the core work out. I will do the off day tomorrow and the core again Saturday then get back to my regular days next week. Wanted to be able to get in 3 core work outs this week.

I was able to go high intensity today and feel like it may be time for me to move on to the active routine, but I still don't have the 4 lb. bar and am hesitating. The arm routine seems to be the hardest for me and I'm only using a 1 lb. bar! So maybe I'll start the active routine, but stick with the beginner arms.

This is week three and I'm still motivated to do it, so I'm still excited about this. It's the longest I've done any type of exercise except the stationary bike.

I held the book in my hands at Barnes & Noble, but dh wouldn't buy it for me. Still looking for it used. Maybe tomorrow.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 12:43

BF:

Ordered my book today! Got it for $4.49 off of eBay. That's shipping and everything. Can't wait to get it, finally! Last week I missed two days, but was able to get in 3 core workouts. I'm back on track this week and still going high intensity. Am going to really consider moving up after getting the book and reading it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 12:00

BF:

It's been 4 weeks. I've done very well...just had the two days that I did not do my routine when I was feeling sickly...but still got in 3 core workouts that week. Here are the results:

................3/21.....4/18
Neck.............14......14
Shoulder........42.25......41.5
Chest............39.75.....38.5
Waist............33.........32.5
Abdomen.......35.25.....35
Hips..............38.75.... 38.5
L Thigh..........23.5......23
L Knee..........14.5.......14.5
L Calf............15.........15
L Ankle..........9...........8.75
L Arm............12.75.....12
L Forearm.......9.75......9.75
R Wrist..........6.5........6.25

(surgery to left wrist makes measurement off)

Not overly impressive...but did lose inches almost everywhere. Of course, that's been normal since doing Atkins...so don't know if it's attributable to the exercise or woe. The change last month was greater over-all than this month, though.

I recieved my book in the mail yesterday and read it last night. Not much more info than I already had...but glad to have it. It does explain the importance of all the different components of the routine. And it talks about how when wanting to lose weight you should be doing more aerobic exercise. Am wondering if I should spend even more time on the stationary bike than the routine calls for. Will ask in the EYS thread.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 23:15

BF:

I found the EYS kit on eBay for $26 including shipping. Comes with the videos and the bar....so now I will be able to start working out with the 4 lbs. instead of the 1 lb. bar I've been using. Very excited...but also intimidated...I have trouble with the 1 lb.! Will update when it arrives.

Beginning day before yesterday I also added 30 more minutes on the stationary bike per day. I'm trying to aim for two extra 30 minutes sessions per day, but so far have only managed one. The book recommends 90% of your exercise be in the form of aerobic exercise if you're trying to lose weight...since I am decided it wouldn't hurt to add the extra.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 22:39

BF:

Well...got the kit, discovered I had been doing a couple of the exercises wrong...used it one day...didn't exercise for 5 or 6 days...got a couple of days in this week...think I overdid it Friday and pulled a muscle or something. Hoping the pain will be gone tomorrow morning so I can get back to it full force.