Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/224/160
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Help Getting to KETOSIS?!?

I've been on Atkins 1 week. So's my husband ~ He's almost to the purple top! I'm either at trace or small. A few days ago I was at intermediate. The only thing I've been doing differently than him is drinking 1-2 diet cokes, caffeine-free per day for 3 days now, and one day had 5 oz of cheese instead of 4. I'm doing very well on water intake. I am on Hormones, I've been bleeding heavily and I gave blood on the 27th. Could all this have stopped ketosis?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Susan, if you're registering anything other than negative (i.e. trace/small/moderate whatever!) you're in ketosis. The colour is simply an indication of how diluted your system is; more hydration = lighter colour. Your husband, with the darker colour, may not be drinking enough water. You need the water to hydrate your body and flush out the toxins (including the fat).

Do not let the colour of those little stix control your life; they are not a very good indication of fat burning. When you test, what you've eaten, how much you've been drinking and if you've exercised will all effect the colour you can pee.

HTH,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:46

BF:

Thanks, Nat ~ You've relieved my mind! Jim has been drinking 8+ glasses/day ~ he's also running ~ I start back to Curves for Women on Wednesday ~ let's see how exercising does me better!
Susan
PS: If it's appropriate, what does HTH mean?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

*lol* Sorry, Susan. "HTH" had me confused for a while too! "Hope That Helps"

HTH!
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Susan,

If you click on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar at the top of every page, you'll find a list of helpful articles. At the bottom of that list, you'll see Low Carb Lingo, which is a listing of common abbreviations and acronyms that you'll often find used on our message board, and other lowcarb groups around the web. Took me ages to figure out what was DANDR

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 11:53

BF:

Thanks, Doreen for your direction ~ I'm off to the tips now ~ FYI, I'm one generation away from being an Ontario citizen! Grew up in the Detroit area! Stay warm y'all! ~ Susan
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 19:36
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Do different brands of ketostix work differently? Mine won't turn purple either...it always says trace of 40 mg...
Do you thing vitamins affect the test strip? I drink lots of water too. Also...someone said that exercise affects the color too...does that mean exercise makes them darker...or lack of exercise? I'm curious.