Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 18:38

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292/250/199 Female 5'2"
BF:50%/46.5%/23%
Progress: 45%
Default Oh my God I am pregnant! and Concerned!

Hello low carbers,

I am very excited because today I went to lab to do a pregnancy test and it came out positive. After 13 years of trying we are finally blessed. I must confess this WOE helped me alot since before my cycles were very irregular and ever since lc i have been regular and it helped me with my fertility issues. But I have a concern I don't know if low carbing is good for pregnant ladies. So if any of you out there can offer me some insights. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 19:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

As was answered to this post in the General forum, Atkins wrote that pregnant women should eat at Maintenance levels of carbs - around 100 grams a day. You should choose low GI foods: WHOLE grains, vegtables, fruits, dairy and proteins. Avoid sugars, refined starches and processed foods.

There is no proof that ketosis is bad for a developing baby and no proof that it's safe. So stay at higher carb levels.

See http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215263 for more answers.

Congratulations.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 13:44
Registered Member

Stats: 269/221/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I had my baby on 8-19. I had concerns about going off of my low carb WOE. In the end, I was not able to stay low carb due to food aversions during pregnancy. I have 20 pounds to lose to get to where I was when I got pregnant. I recommend that you just do the best you can while you're pregnant and deal with weight loss after you have your baby. Good luck and congratulations!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 06:28

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi Mary:

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I folowed lc eating while pg. I ate around 100 grams carbs a day, 2400 calories, while blending Atkins Mat. with Dr. Brewer's Diet for prevention of Pre-Eclampsia. The doctors and nutritionist gave me the stamp of approval on my eating.

On July 19, 2004, I gave birth to a big, healthy boy, Eli, who was born right on his due date with a totally normal delivery.

There is a lot of support here to be found for expecting mommies. If you have any questions, you can pop by my journal and I can tell you what worked for me.

Best to you!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 20:54

Plan: modified Atkins/pregnant
Stats: 224/224/130 Female 5'3
BF:100%
Progress: 0%
Default Congratulations!

Mary,
I am also pregnant (25 weeks) I am starting to watch my carb intake. I have pretty much been eating whatever and I feel like my weight is rapidly increasing! I have gained about 15lbs, but I have read before that for overweight women, it is okay to gain only 15-20lbs versus the average 25-30lobs (of course, please check w/ your doctor if this is true!) My doctor has not said one word about my weight-which I appreciate. My blood pressure has been just fine which I think is something they monitor closely. My first pregnancy I gained over 60lbs, my bp went up at the end of the preg and I ended up being induced. I wish I had been watching my carbs then!

Often times people have serious food aversions during the first trimester...so I guess alot depends on how your body reacts to pregnancy to see what you can eat. Sometimes a saltine cracker is the only thing that sounds decent.

I am new to the board, but it seems there are alot really nice and knowledgable people here! Talk to your doctor to get all the info you need! And best of luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 21:12
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Congrats Maritsant! That is awesome news especially after trying for so long. I don't know if you know Elsah, but she was preganant and had a baby recently and perhaps she can give you some advice.

Congrats Ashley. Congrats Stacey and Stardust on your new babies.

red
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 21:49

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292/250/199 Female 5'2"
BF:50%/46.5%/23%
Progress: 45%

Thanks girls,

You are all so nice and I feel more confident now with all this advice. Well I'll be making my first appointment with the ob/gyn this week. I was patiently waiting to be more than 6 weeks so that when they do the sono the heart beat can be seen. By Friday I will be at 7 weeks. Today I was at a birthday and told family from my dh side I wanted to wait after my first ob/gyn visit but really couldn't wait much longer since we don't get to see them so often cause they live far away. I am still praying that all goes well maybe I am most certain that after I see the hb I will be more excited. So please give me your positive thoughts and prayers. Although I am optimistic about this pregnancy because of all the symptoms I have been feeling I am still a bit scare because my last one did turn out to be a mc due to a blighed ovum. I'll try to visit you soon at your journals. Thanks ones more for your support which I do need alot.