Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 20:31

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox

I notice you are now calling humans omnivores. I agree there too. Does that mean you've left your original question behind?

My original question may indeed be left behind. However, the debate will continue. As an example, the below quote was in the May 15, 1979 issue of The New York Times.

“According to Dr. Alan Walker, a Johns Hopkins University anthropologist, Homo Erectus, the species immediately ancestorial to our own Homo Sapiens, had evidence of an omnivorous diet. Every Homo-Erectus tooth found was that of an omnivore. However, a small sample of teeth from the human-like species during a 12 million year period leading up to the Homo-Erectus period, indicates the earlier species may have been a fruit eater. Even if this species, way before our own, lived on a fruit diet, they probably would not have consumed what we consider typical fruits. Hundreds of plants produce fruits that are tougher, more substantial foods than what we eat today.”

All relevant anatomical traits suggest that humans are classical examples of omnivores. There is simply no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to a purely vegetarian diet. For that reason, the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet will remain to be ecological, ethical, and health concerns.

As quoted prior, our biological make up is between that of vegetarian animals like cows and that of purely meat eating species like cats and dogs. In other words: we get to choose.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Fri, Aug-07-09 at 21:38. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 16:41

Default Are humans biologically vegan?

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Mon, Nov-02-09 at 18:01.
  #153   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 21:11

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Actually, though it was relatively short-term, remember Vilhjalmur Stefansson's experiment? And it was based on his observations that europeans did well on the inuit diet when they had to live off it because they were wintering with them. I don't think all-meat diets are damaging if your family didn't eat it for generations.

Diets have been temporarily varied because of changing situations before, like war for instance. And they have been permanently changed by circumstances, like the Pima first nation when their access to water was cut off and they had to live off government rations. I agree with you about local diets mostly being best for people. Often they are low carb, whatever the protein content is.

I notice you are now calling humans omnivores. I agree there too. Does that mean you've left your original question behind?

We are opportunistic omnivores, yet optimally carnivorous. The point is that we can be omnivores, at a cost, but not because that's the best way to eat. Rather, because we don't immediately die from that kind of diet which allows us to survive, but most importantly reproduce, in times of scarcity, i.e. when there's no fat animal to kill or scavenge.

As far as I know, a truly vegetarian diet is deadly for an infant making it impossible to sustain past the first generation. A self correcting problem of sorts.
  #154   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 22:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I watched the video until it got to the part about plant eaters having rounded jaws-- and gave the elongated jaw of a horse as an example. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and human beings are put together in such a way that we're awfully good at finding ways to do just that.
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 14:33

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
There is simply no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to a purely vegetarian diet. For that reason, the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet will remain to be ... health concerns.

Bo

ok, now i'm confused. will you explain what you meant by this?
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Nov-08-09, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac

We are opportunistic omnivores, yet optimally carnivorous. The point is that we can be omnivores, at a cost, but not because that's the best way to eat. Rather, because we don't immediately die from that kind of diet which allows us to survive, but most importantly reproduce, in times of scarcity, i.e. when there's no fat animal to kill or scavenge.

Martin, with the exception of “optimally carnivorous", I agree with you. When early humans began incorporating meat into their diet it lead directly to the formation of the large brains that we enjoy today. Even today we need the protein and fat to maintain those brains as well as muscle mass (and other things). We can get it from other sources in the modern diet spectrum, but it all started with meat.

There are many theories about what is the best diet for humans. We will never know what is the most natural for humans but it can be said that all carnivores, omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans can thrive on their own specific lifestyles. As an example, these folks are not exactly carnivorous and seem to do quiet well. I sincerely hope you watch this in it’s entirety and share your opinions.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Sun, Nov-08-09 at 20:44.
  #157   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-09, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins & Primal
Stats: 207.5/194.5/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Nope, for ONE big reason. B-12. Sure, nowadays we can synthesis it, but until recently, B-12 was only available from animal sources. So no vegans. The fact that there are no traditional societies (by traditional I mean hundreds and hundreds of years) that are vegan. Not a one.

As for vegetarians, I think it can only be done if the group can eat dairy. Similar reasons as for vegans. There are only so many eggs one can get from chickens to feed a population. The needs for protein are also much more easily met with dairy if one avoids meat. There are a few vegetarian traditional cultures.

There is a difference between survival and and excelling. Optimally, I think a hunter and gatherer diet is best: no grains, varied plant foods, natural-eating meat (deer eating grass, not cows eating grain). And not only eating the muscle meat either--organs are the most prized among HG.

Less optimally would be a diet with grains (as is seen in the higher incidence of cavities, bone formation, etc).

Ami
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 13:13

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm replying to the title of this post alone.

Biologically vegan? What, then, did our ancestors eat in the dead of winter? The produce shop was closed!

I am decidedly anti-veganism. It's unhealthy and unnatural in my opinion. PETA would be much more successful in reducing animal cruelty in the meat industry if they didn't isolate themselves with their radical views.
  #159   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: none in particular
Stats: 229/210.2/160 Female 63 INCHES
BF:???
Progress: 27%

Old thread but VERY interesting. I had some Major laughs too.

All i can say is that i much rather sink my teeth into a tender medium rare new york steak than a veggie sandwich!
  #160   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 18:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTLWBY30
Old thread but VERY interesting. I had some Major laughs too.

In that case you'd probably enjoy this one too:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=287013

It's more fun when you know who he is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_Stanley