Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-11, 22:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/216/202 Male 192 cms
BF:
Progress:
Default Any Advice on Fatty Liver

Hi All ..
For two years I have been having problems with a whole bunch of different symptoms .. I have a rare autoimmune disease which I am sure my Drs thought had caused my problems.. Unstable Blood sugars, 20 points higher in BP, HighTri and Cholesterol ( while on Vegan only ) Ferriten was higher then normal so was Cortisol .. Spare tyre round the mid section that didnt want to go ..
Normal kidney and Liver Enzymes .. then I found fatty liver and everything fitted .. seems you can even have it with normal Liver enzymes ..
My Question is has anyone on here been diagnosed with it and what did you do to reverse it and also did you have any symptoms of the reversal happening ..
how long did it take etc ..
I take Milk Thristle 3 times each day / Seliumin of a night with a CoQ10 thats all
I also have enzymes twice a day .. my body doesnt like excessive fat.. but I keep to a lean type of meat and low carb veggies.. mainly greens and only a few cup fulls per day ..

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Kev
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-11, 22:25

Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Hi Kev. I was diagnosed with fatty liver in about 2004. Then in 2005, I was diagnosed with PBC (primary bilary cirrhosis of the liver), having never drank. I don't really know if one cancelled out the other or if I still have both. The PBC gets all the attention now. I take Ursodiol, which is a bile salt. When I was diagnosed with fatty liver, the only treatment was to lose weight. Since taking the RX, my enzymes are normal. I've been told that normal enzymes don't mean the disease isn't progressing. I have about stage 2 out of 4. If I ever get the intense itching, then it becomes stage 3. Stage 4 is actually cirrhosis and a liver transplant is needed. I was also told that if I take the RX faithfully, I'll never have a problem. Doc says he's seeing amazing results with it.
You said that fatty liver is rare, but I was told it's actually common. In fact, I know several folks with it, and was told by my doc that many overweight people have it and just aren't diagnosed yet.
You're at the right place for treatment though. Losing pounds is the answer. Best wishes to you.

Donna
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-11, 22:38

BF:
Progress:

Hi Donna

No I have a rare autoimmune disease
I have read that fatty liver (NAFLD) is like 10 to 15 % of the population
I was doing the vegan thing for 2 years this caused my fatty liver as the sugars from the fruit etc are stored as fat in the liver .. The only place I am fat is around the gut .. nice love handles .. I am not overweight anywhere else ..
Whats bizarre is i go ino and out of Ketosis .. as you know you feel pretty ordinary to your body readjusts to burning fat and I go in and out of Ketosis Morning I am not in and my sugars are up and by mid Afternoon I am in and stay in .. Wake of a morning out of Ketosis .. My berserk BS's like 9 or 10's happen in the morning .. Yes I know about Dawn phenonmen but I do think its fatty liver as all my other symptoms point to that ..
they are between 4.8 and 6.5 during teh day into the night
If I was normal as in not having the autoimmune I dont think I would notice but as I do I am really aware of anything that robs me of energy ..

Cheers

Kev
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 07:02
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

This is a great blog post on the importance of choline in fatty liver.

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health....-egg-yolks.html

Lee
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 09:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Low carb is a great diet for NAFLD. The diet alone will probably help a lot. To get triglycerides down, try taking fish oil supplements. Make sure your vitamin D3 levels are good: http://vitamindcouncil.org. Milk thistle is good. Don't be afraid of eating fat.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 19:02

Quote:
No I have a rare autoimmune disease
[QUOTE]

Hi Kev. Are you saying that the NAFLD is the rare autoimmune disease? This is what I'm talking about also, if so. My grandfather had it, my dad had it, my twin sister and I both have it, and we have a 1st cousin on the same side of the family that has it. Along with it come other autoimmune diseases, which my sister has the Crohn's disease and the arthritis. Fortunately I have just the liver.
Is it the NAFDL you're calling rare?

Donna
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 19:29
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

The PBC is autoimmune isn't it?

Lee
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 19:33

yes. I was told the PBC is autoimmune.

Donna
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 21:30

BF:
Progress:

Hi Leemack

Thanks heaps great article lots of good info

Cheers

Kevin ( who didnt say Fatty liver / NAFLD was RARE or autoimmune )
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 21:55

Quote:
Kev said- I have a rare autoimmune disease which I am sure my Drs thought had caused my problems..

Quote:
Kevin ( who didnt say Fatty liver / NAFLD was RARE or autoimmune )

Confused??? Sorry.

Donna
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-11, 12:47

Plan: atkins inductin diet wine
Stats: 250/220/190 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have fatty liver, but my DR told me it is normal to have one, that everyone has fat in the liver.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-11, 11:19

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Fatty liver advances to cirrhosis.
Fatty liver is not uncommon since the onset of the food pyramid and high starch/sugar diets including vegetarian/vegan.

There are plenty of LC'ers who've cured fatty liver by eliminating the cause.
Don't mess w this. As a hospice RN, I see the results on a regular basis.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-11, 11:54

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Go to ketogenic-diet-resource.com then to the site map. You'll find an article on liver disease. These articles link to research and studies.