Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 16:57

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Default Colloidal Silver

I have been getting information about this for several days now. I have read that it is great at killing bacteria and fungus and is a good topical treatment for skin troubles. On Jan. 10, I tripped over a buckled sidewalk seam and went down really hard, making a deep abrasion on my kneecap. It didn't bleed more than a little, but it made a nasty scab. Not much was going on in the healing department so I put some of the silver on the scab. Within a couple of hours, the scab started rolling away and now, it's completely gone. The first day was either Friday or Saturday and the scab came off completely yesterday afternoon. I put the drops on it a couple of times a day over the weekend and into this week. It's not cheap but it is said that some people use it to kill off fungal yeast and other internal fungus and bacterial infections. Any experience here on the forums?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 03:06

Plan: General
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

I had a double mastectomy a couple of years ago with immediate reconstruction of new boobies. As you can imagine there were some significant scars. One of the things used to treat the wounds was a dressing which contains silver Aquacell AG. Brilliant stuff, most of my wounds stabbed over fairly quickly but there were a couple of stubborn spots where the glue used during the op had come unstuck, some of the Aquacell stuff on top of the open wounds made them scab over very quickly, dried it all out and prevented infection.

In the UK you can buy liquid soap which contains a small amount of silver as an antibacterial hand wash. Handy when you have young kids who still need bums wiping....!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 09:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just don't drink the stuff or you might end up like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahihGKZC5Kk
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-13, 11:31

Nancy, he drank way too much. A teaspoon under the tongue a few times a day kills bacterial and fungal infections in the body. I haven't started taking it internally. I am interested in seeing if it will knock out fungal yeast but I don't know how careful you have to be in your diet at the same time. It isn't cheap and if a slip up now and then ruins it,I probably don't want to bother.

Last edited by CallmeAnn : Sat, Jan-26-13 at 12:00. Reason: more info
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 01:17
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Seriously, don't drink it. Your immune system fights infection, you do not need ingested colloidal silver. Be wary of what you read on the internet. We have a blue guy in town due to this stuff, he is mentally unstable.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-13, 17:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

If you are talking about external fungal yeast, put diluted clorine bleach or vinegar on it. Also Vicks works great at tonail fungus, so I think it would work well elsewhere.

I wouldn't drink the silver either. I remember seeing that man on TV. I'm not sure he took too much, but he took it for a long time.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 11:50

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

Ann, did you how was your experience with the scab in regards to scarring? My 8 year old scratched up her face on the weekend and I'm looking into what I can do to make sure she doesn't scar. Normally I wouldn't care about scrapes on the knees causing a scar but I really don't want her nose to scar. (Simply for cosmetic reasons. I just don't want her to have to live with it for the rest of her life.)

Also, where did you get it?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 12:52

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

there is some truth to it being antimicrobial in nature. why that would be helpful in the healing process is something else.

by and large colloidal silver is viewed mostly as not especially helpful if ingested, and as others have mentioned excessive use of it leads to strange colored skin. purportedly the discoloration is not dangerous, but given there has never been any serious evidence that ingesting it serves any beneficial purpose I would be very leery of ingesting it based on Internet scam artists selling it, or the equipment to make it.

As an antimicrobial for topical use, it may have benefits. From what I have read it is relatively mild compared to other such products like IPA or hydrogen peroxide, so is far less likely to damage tissue.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 13:16

I'm just curious. I noticed a coupon for bandages in my purse last night and when I did a search for scars in here I found this thread. I remembered reading the thread before but didn't have anything to contribute and for some reason I also remember seeing bandages a while back that had silver in them. Or maybe I'm imagining remembering these bandages. I don't know, I haven't had a chance to look at the store.

I was also looking at Mederma and Bio Oil. The only feedback I've had from anybody I know is from a maternity nurse friend who has said to many women come back in after a c-section or just stretch marks and have horrible rashes and skin irritations when using Mederma. I know she had mentioned another med that was prescription only when my mom had surgery. I don't remember what it is but I'll be talking to her today or tomorrow about other stuff so I'll ask.

I'm just looking for personal experiences before picking something to use or asking the doctor about any prescriptions.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrsy
If you are talking about external fungal yeast, put diluted clorine bleach or vinegar on it. Also Vicks works great at tonail fungus, so I think it would work well elsewhere.

I will try Vicks on my forehead if this doesn't fix it. I left my bottle of silver on the table and my rotten cat knocked it off when I was gone from the house. It was kind of expensive so I've just now replaced it.

I wouldn't drink the silver either. I remember seeing that man on TV. I'm not sure he took too much, but he took it for a long time.

I might have given the wrong idea with the word "drink". You just put a few drops under the tongue. I have read up more on the guy and he also made his own and did a poor job of it. You have to be very careful as to the source and purity.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 13:43

The situation with the scab on my knee is not exactly resolved. The scab came off and the skin was tender. However, it has not completely healed to where the skin looks normal. Maybe I cut the time the skin spent under the scab short when it should have stayed longer. It just seemed not to be improving up to that point. I haven't heard or read any info regarding its effect on scarring.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 14:44

Thanks. I like knowing I can ask for opinions and get honest answers on here.