Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 00:29

Plan: Atkins/PP/IF
Stats: 185/165/150 Male 70''
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legeon
Wouldn't finite resources, used more efficiently, get depleted as quickly as before since more and more people would be using them? After all, the entire species wants a taste of first world living.

I would say so, but what you mean by finite resources might be pessimistic. Like I said, with technology advancement we're constantly discovering new sources of energy as well as better ways to use those we're already using.

400 years ago wood was basically the only imaginable source of heat and horses the only means of ground transportation, and humanity's development was restrained by this lack of good alternatives.

We still have forests and horses around AFAIK. 400 years from now we'll probably be on the verge of running out of our main source of energy, futurium©, alarmists will be warning leaders to take drastic measures to curb our unsustainable consumption, and we'll be wondering whether we're gonna have to go back to using oil (of which there is plenty left) like our poor primitive ancestors did.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 05:06
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legeon
Wouldn't finite resources, used more efficiently, get depleted as quickly as before since more and more people would be using them? After all, the entire species wants a taste of first world living.
That depends on what you mean by "efficiently". To me it doesn't mean equal distribution regardless of investment. It means using them well to increase the general level of Freedom, Education and Technology so that other people have a chance to invest their life's energy in the progress of Mankind. You do this by letting those with the most ability get as far ahead as they can.

I'm all for helping the poor starving masses, but not at the expense of dragging down the vanguard of our growth.
  #183   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I keep wondering when people are going to start considering nuclear energy as a genuine alternative for the production of electricity, which would also make electric cars consumers of sustainable energy. And which has no "carbon footprint," and doesn't require or benefit using part of the food chain to produce energy at the expense of food.
  #184   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 10:25
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
I keep wondering when people are going to start considering nuclear energy as a genuine alternative for the production of electricity.
"If you love the Earth, and you love your family, you will vote nuclear."

Hey, it worked for those flourescent bulbs...
  #185   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:27
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Geothermal is better than even nuclear... those folks in Iceland have it good. Geothermal heat is so inexpensive they have heated sidewalks in the winter.
  #186   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:32
Registered Member

They also live in a place where geothermal is significantly different than it would be in most of the US.
  #187   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra
Geothermal is better than even nuclear... those folks in Iceland have it good. Geothermal heat is so inexpensive they have heated sidewalks in the winter.
Geothermal is great when you don't have to drill through 20 miles of basalt to get it. I don't know the energy cost of trying to get it say, in Mississippi. If it takes 30 years worth of oil to get to it, and the plant only runs for 30 years, you don't make your money back.
  #188   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:39
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

Well, sure! I was just stating that it kicks nuclear fission butt. I didn't mean Detroit is sitting on a hot bed of...well... lithosphere...

Give a girl some credit...
  #189   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:47
Registered Member

It doesn't kick butt where it isn't practical.
  #190   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:55
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

It kicks butt, even still. So there. Nanner nanner boobiecakes.

(Sorry... had to)
  #191   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 12:06
Registered Member

BF:

Wikipedia has a nice article on "Geothermal power".

I also like "Tidal power" in fact, here is an invention for someone with the contacts.

Tidal force is actually the effect of an object on the earth either being too far out of it's orbit (because it is on the far side of the earth) for it's speed, or too far inside it's orbit (because it is on the near side). This is why you get tides on both sides of the earth. On one side the ocean is trying to fly away from the moon, on the other side it is trying to fall into the moon.

There are complications, but that's the basics.

So here is the idea. You make your huge building float in a pool of mercury or something. The larger the building the better. As it attempts to fly away from the Earth or falls back towards it, you use that massive movement to generate electricity. Hook it up to some gears or something. It will only move a few micromillimeters, but the force will be immense, you have to gear it down.

If you get rich and famous, send me cash.

Last edited by Baerdric : Tue, Apr-29-08 at 12:29.
  #192   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 12:25
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

....nanner, nanner, boobie-cakes!?!

That's the only part of this thread I'll remember now!
  #193   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 12:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
....nanner, nanner, boobie-cakes!?!
Yeah, and BTW, how do you make boobiecakes, with whipped eggs or what?
  #194   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 12:35

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Yeah, and BTW, how do you make boobiecakes, with whipped eggs or what?

breast milk....

(hey, just saying...)
  #195   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 15:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Caveman--well, there's the freegans. They got the gathering down pat, anyways. But that's just a copout (on my part, not the freegans.)
And I think there's still a few survivalists out there. A while back I was poking around at the peak oil sites--and there really do seem to be people out there who relish the end of civilization, and a return to "nature" as a result. "A lot" of people wanting to return to paleolithic occupation as well as eating style may have been an exaggeration. And I don't think there's anything wrong with an individual wanting to live that way; It's just the idea that everyone should return to that state that I find banal. Just that it's not an option.
How many holes can you poke in it before the United Nations starts worrying about the cooling of the earth's core?
Boobycakes.