Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Dr. Phil's questions

Kat and I have decided to go through these questions about diet. The idea is that in losing our weight there has to be a mind change along the path. We are going to tackle one a week, and you all are welcome to join us and post your well thought out answers as well if you choose to.

I've already answered them in my Journal for week one, but I will repeat it here:

The Question:
"WEEK 1: YOU EITHER GET IT, OR YOU DON'T

Start getting real. Why do you want to lose weight? Write it down. What are you doing -- or not doing -- to lose weight? Pinpoint ten patterns of living that you have accepted without question. For example: putting off your exercise or snacking when you're not hungry." (From Dr. Phil's website)

My response:
Well this one doesn't resonate with me very much, I'm going to have to give it some thought.

Why do I want to lose weight? hmm. I'm not sure. I know why I did at first, I was uncomfortable in my own body, it didn't feel like me, I couldn't move properly, I didn't feel like I could excercise or do the things I wanted to do. Plus I felt embarrassed to be so fat, felt like I had to hide from cameras.

But now 50 go 60 pounds lighter, I'm going to have to rethink that question. I'm not certain I really DO want to lose weight. That desire part of it isn't as strong as it was when my body was bigger and more uncomfortable. What I DO want is to not GAIN any weight.

I want to be prettier, I want to wear cute clothes and be able to shop in the normal size clothing depts. But I'm sort of there already (although in the larger part of it). I'm not sure if I want to be attractive to the opposite sex or not. It might be fun, but since I'm married it might cause me problems. I don't want to be any more attractive (particularly) to my husband, he already pesters me a lot of the time when I don't want that. It would be nice to feel more attractive during sex, to feel more sexy. But then sex isn't the big deal with me that it used to be, so I don't know if that part really matters that much. Maybe it would be a bigger deal if I felt more confident in the way my body looks, but then again it isn't a big BURNING desire.

Why do I want to lose weight? I hate the way my belly looks. I could be satisfied with the rest of my body, but since you can't spot reduce, I need to lose all over.

What am I doing to lose weight? At the moment? Not a lot. I've been trying to excercise a LOT more and I've been trying to eat reasonably well. I've been researching and learning and trying to apply the things I learn, I've been communicating with other people on the same path. But during times when my desire to lose weiight is low, not many of these thinge help that much.

Ten patterns that I have accepted without question? I doubt if there is ANYTHING in my life that I accept without question. I know I have bad habits, that I can't always break, but I certainly DO question them.

Therefore I will list ten bad habits.
1) skipping meals, particularly not eating early enough (breakfast)

2) eating junk food that I get compulsive about. Not just eating one, but scarfing

3) skipping excercise sessions.

4) spending too much time being inactive (on the computer or on my butt).

5) not leading an active interesting life. allowing boredom and laziness to creep in and filling that void with food.

6) not planning ahead enough, allowing the refrigerator to become empty or the hour to get so late that fast food seems the only alternative

7) allowing myself to fall into an "all or nothing" or a "what's the use?" mindset. Telling myself that today doesn't matter I will get back on track tomorrow.

8) allowing the scale to discourage me.

9) failing to congratulate myself on how far I've come. Only looking at the bad things I do that mess me up, not rewarding myself (mentally) when I'm doing well.

10) comparing myself with other people, thinking that what works for them, should work equally well for me and when it doesn't, explaining it away as that I'm "weak" or not committed enough.

11) being carb addicted and touching them at all, but what hurts me the worst is total binge days, where it seems like everything I eat is the wrong type of thing. Too many of these terrible days and I undo any progress I've made.

I know it was only supposed to be 10, but while I struggled to come up with 10, after re-reading it, it didn't sound honest enough. Number 11 is the biggest, truest part of the problem.

Ok guys now it is your turn, what do you have to say?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 10:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

The Question:
"WEEK 1: YOU EITHER GET IT, OR YOU DON'T !
Start getting real. Why do you want to lose weight? Write it down. What are you doing -- or not doing -- to lose weight? Pinpoint ten patterns of living that you have accepted without question. For example: putting off your exercise or snacking when you're not hungry"

WHY DO YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT?
Primarily, health. I had a really good scare, with elevated blood sugar, that made me see what my path would be if I didn't turn things around, RIGHT NOW! And it took something drastic to jar me out of my comfortable state of denial, that safe refuge I had designed for myself that enabled me to continue emotional and recreational eating without paying attention to what I was doing to my body.

Second, for greater mobility and ability to do the things I want, and follow all the interests and activities, like hiking and running, that make up my personality. When I finally "woke up" from my denial, I found to my horror that I had become a (sorry for the blunt words) fat old Utah housewife! That is NOT how I see myself. I no longer recognized the person I had become. I was in almost constant pain, from knee and ankle problems, some unavoidable wear and tear damage, but the remainder due to my weight.

Third- vanity, actually. I used to be a pretty woman, although there are some fears surrounding that image that I will have to learn to deal with- more on that in another question/answer session. I did not like this stranger I saw in the mirror. I used to take showers with only the nightlight on!

WHAT ARE YOU DOING--OR NOT DOING--TO LOSE WEIGHT?

1. I have been on Atkin's, at Induction level, since May 1, '02, keeping to roughly 2000 calories and under 20 Gms carbs.

2.Admitting that I am a carbohydrate addict, NOT a "normal person", whatever that is. Recognizing that, like an alcoholic or drug addict, that there are certain foods that will trigger my cravings. Allowing no cheating, ever.....but one day at a time. Certain foods, like white sugar, and white flour, are gone from my life forever. That is easier for me than "controlling" them.

3, Constantly affirming and reaffirming that this woe is simple- sticking to the KISS principle. It is easy, if you let it be easy. Eating simply but extremely well-- meats, fish, eggs, cheese and green veggies. No diet bars, fake sweetners or other odd foods. Reminding myself that I really LIKE the foods I eat!

4. Making a serious committment to exercise, as a way of life. Constantly adjusting and reworking my exercise program to fit my changing abilities. Addressing my problems with laziness and motivation. Trying to make exercise fun, and remembering my ultimate goal: to run again.

5. Drinking my 2 qts of water a day, like it or not, (and I don't!) before I permit myself any Diet pepsi. NOT allowing anyone to talk me out of my two so-called "vices"- my real coffee with cream in the AM, and my Diet Pepsi (caffeine free). Recognizing that giving up everything pleasurable leads to cheating and certain failure.

6. Constantly working on the "head thing" so that the yo-yo dieting history does not repeat itself. This includes starting this committment to answering these questions in depth- sort of a mental "Body For Life" program. Using my self-loathing about my body as a motivator to go for it!

7. Taking all my appropriate supplements daily- Multi-vit, B complex, Vit C, Vit E, Calcium, EC ASA, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, Magnesium, Potassium, and colloidal minerals several times a week.

8. NOT taking "diet pills", ephedra, or other various assorted untested and potentially dangerous supplements that many weight lifters are fond of. Nope- don't need that.

9.Understanding and using a support system. Posting a journal here that includes my menu for the previous day, including calories and carbs, and posting my weekly weigh-ins and daily exercise in another forum, so that I am held accountable for my actions, and know I have to answer to others. Whew! THAT tends to keep me straight- if I have been shooting my mouth off, then I have to deliver the goods!

10. Trying to give back some of what I have been given. An old Twelve-Step principle, that of helping others, helps keep me on track. Wish I could do more.

11. Yes, I too have 11! Trying to keep a balance in my life, in all things. Trying to keep food from being an all consuming BIG DEAL, and working toward the goal of regarding food as merely "pleasant fuel".

Kat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 13:39
Registered Member

Default Ok Kat

NOW you've confused me. From his "examples" I thought he wanted you to list negative things that you have been doing WRONG, not positive things that you have been doing RIGHT!

Ok, I will need to rethink this one, and come up with some positive things. It won't be easy since I've been in such a negative mood lately, but maybe tomorrow I will try.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 13:50
Registered Member

Well, he said "doing, or NOT doing" and I was in a positive mood today! I really didn't want to beat myself up by coming up with 10 bad things, and that is mostly in the past now. I think you can use his questions as a guideline, and work on whatever angle you want to work on, no?

Yeah, I know- I NEVER follow the simple directions, huh?

Hugs,
kat
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 14:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for starting the thread SB and UK!

An idea!

This is a great excercise that a lot of people can benefit from. What about having this moved out of the 3D Forum and into General Low-Carb so more people will jump in?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 16:40
Registered Member

Sure Karen, that's a good idea, and fine with me. I'm sure Sherry wouldn't mind. Will you do that?
Hugs,
Kat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 18:22
Registered Member

Default I don't mind

just let me know where it's going. I don't check ALL the threads (there are way too many of them).
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 21:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I'll move it with a redirect tomorrow so you can find it.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 09:33
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi all -

I hate myself for comparing my self to every thin woman and always feeling less then what I should be.

I hate how my legs rub when I wear pantyhose or shorts sometimes (they used to bleed so i'm way better now but).

I hate that my waist hurts when I wear certain pants.

And I don't like how I look in pictures and often the mirror..

WHAT ARE YOU DOING--OR NOT DOING--TO LOSE WEIGHT?

Positive: I have been sticking to induction levels for over a month.
Negative: Had dinner out a couple of nights (this past weekend) with meals that were higher in carbs. I should have just asked for steamed but I chose to do the wrong thing in Thai and Chinese restaurants. Also, the occasional legal diet bars make me feel so guilty but I have one a day a few days a week anyway.

Positive: I have been working out with water aerobics and walking.
Negative: It is often the first thing to cancel when I have errands or other things that need to get accomplished with myself and family.
NOTE: back to positive - i'm moving my skier up from the dank and scary basement this week to work out at home more often too.

Positive: I think about food all day to try to figure my next meal and make good choices and read others experiences here to keep me focused.
Negative: My DH and friends make fun of me constantly obsessing about my weight issues and food rigidity. Obsessing is really the case - I sometimes feel like a record skipping and I can't focus on other things.

This was quite cathartic...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 20:21

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

1. I want to be healthy and losing weight is part of that process.
2. I want to be able to look as good in clothing as my sisters do.
3. I want my body to look the way I feel my spirit looks.
4. I want to be able to be active and do things like play basketball, ride a bicycle, and even play my clarinet like I could 20 years ago.

What am I doing to loose weight.
I started to take/ and make my health a priority. I stopped working outside the home(very stressful for me), I started to exersice doing the firm workouts and then adding walking workouts to the mix, went to a new doctor that started me on meds for my specific problems, and now started to follow the SP that seemed best for me in healing my body.

10 habits that I accept/changed/or kept in this goal.
1. I am not a morning person, but I now wake up at 6am(actually it is about 5:30 when my husbands alarm goes off so I just doze the extra half hour), and fix breakfast for my family before they go to school and to work. This process is for their benefit as well as mine.
2. I make a comitment to workout at least 4 days a week preferably 5 day for not much more than 1 hour a day. I was doing more than that but I am concerned about overexercise and trying to heal my adreanal glands.
3. I play in a community orchestra, something just for me, and something that I can't imagine not doing even when I wonder why I do get up every Saturday morning for a 2 hour practice.
4. Spiritually must not be 2nd, not matter what. I must read my scriptures, say my prayers, and keep service to my creator a focus and priority in my life.
5. Continue to eat good veggies everyday.
6. I need to fix my sleep habits, I do not sleep well and that is a big focus for me right now.
7. I'm trying to learn from others, and hopefully be a help in return.
8. Show love to my family and serve them with a smile and a positive word daily.
9. I have to learn patience. I have never been a very patient person and I know that is one of those things I must learn in this life.
10. Get back to living life with a smile. I used to be that way as a child and I want to be that positive person again.
Tanya
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 06:04
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Great Thread!

Let's see, why do I want to lose weight?!

For me, I want to lose weight to combat depression. I don't want my weight to prevent me from living my life the way I would live it if I didn't have this extra baggage to lug around. At my heaviest, I avoided almost all social functions b/c I was so ashamed of the way I looked. Now that I'm socializing again, I don't want to get ready to go somewhere and end up wearing whatever I think makes me look the thinnest. I want to be able to shop for clothes and pick out what I really like. I'm tired of buying clothes with "hiding the fat" in mind. I don't want to be thought of as lazy, soft, weak, and glutenous. I don't want my weight to be such a big deal to me internally. The extra weight bogs me down mentally.

What am I doing positively or negatively to lose weight?

I'm lowcarbing and trying to plan my meals so that I always have something ready to eat. I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to incorporate things into the lowcarb lifestyle. I'm weighing in every day. I know this doesn't work for everybody, but somewhere in my dysfunctional brain, I have come up with a rather distorted logic that says I can eat anything I want and it won't make me gain weight unless I weigh myself.

Ten habits I'm in the process of changing...........
1. I'm eating more vegetables now.
2. When I come home from where ever, I don't immediately walk over to the refrigerator and look for something to stuff myself with.
3. I try not to make food a priority in everything I do. I have learned that one can actually go the mall and not stop for a carby pretzel or eat in the food court.
4. I eat breakfast each and every day.
5. I fuss with my meals and eat them on my best plates and chargers and using cloth napkins rather than standing by the island in the kitchen eating off a paper plate or right out of the carton wiping my face with my sleeve.
6. I'm experimenting with low carb recipes and new gadgets. I bought myself a flavor injector so I can concoct different tastes for my rotisserie chicken. I also used my blender for the first time in the several years since I've had it.
7. I'm forcing myself to go out more. This is a biggie for me b/c when I was at my fattest, I didn't want to leave the house. I would go grocery shopping at 3 AM just to avoid running into anyone I might know.
8. When I buy cookies and treats for my family, I try to get kinds that I don't like. My kids are grown but stop by often and I make a point to send them home with the carby leftovers.
9. I try not to allow my husband's sabatage efforts phase me, except for entertainment value. Sometimes I think he lays awake nights trying to come up with new and creative ways to get me to cheat.
10. I am trying very hard to be patient with the rate of weight loss. Sometimes this can be very difficult. I get very tempted to stop lowcarbing and try something else when I stall, but I keep telling myself that if I stay the course, sooner or later something's gotta give.
asugar
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 09:17

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

The Question:
"WEEK 1: YOU EITHER GET IT, OR YOU DON'T

Start getting real. Why do you want to lose weight? Write it down. What are you doing -- or not doing -- to lose weight? Pinpoint ten patterns of living that you have accepted without question. For example: putting off your exercise or snacking when you're not hungry." (From Dr. Phil's website)

My response:
I want to lose weight because I want to be able to look my best as I am approaching middle age. I want to be healthy and not achy and old before my time. I want to be able to wear the clothes that I want to wear and feel good wearing them. I want my husband to continue to find me attractive and the way I feel about myself has lots to do with it.

Ten patterns that I have accepted without question - BEFORE LCing?

1) thinking that a bite here and a bite there doesn't matter and doen't add to my weight gain.

2) that skipping meals will make up for the high-carb meal I just/am going to have that day.

3) that my back problems prevent me from exercising

4) that I feel so tired because I don't get enough sleep.

5) that I am heavy because it is heriditary

6) that I can't lose weight

7) that I can't uphold any sort of diet..

8) I don't know why I can't lose weight?

9) that my stomach problems (acid-reflux) is caused by nerves.

10) that I love myself.

All these have changed since LCing and losing weight. I now know that all the above are false excuses I gave myself.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 18:15

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Okay..

I did this a few months ago..
and it was the one statement that its the "critical moments" that get us what we want that stuck.. SO..

WHY DO I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT?
Well I know that I don't feel well. Physically. I just feel sick inside all the time, and that isn't even beginning to account for the emotional toll.
I am tired of being tired.. being depressed and knowing I am headed full force into the family history of diabetes
I am scared of passing NO help to my children for this problem
I want to fit in clothes that I like and I want to be a strong and healthy old lady.. so my children are not burdened with my care.
And I want great looking arms, abs and legs :-)

what 10 Patterns did I accept without question before making the change?
1.that sugar is necessary to life.
2. that Fat is bad!
3. that I had no time that I could make non negotiable
4. that fast was the only way to lose weight
5. That I had to workout for HOURS to get slim
6. That its inevitable to feel sicker as I get older.
7. that I can't be fat and be attractive.
8. That I can't lose weight.
9. That this has to be hard.
10. that ancients were ALL vegetarians..

Things I still have to work on:
1 writing all my food and exercise down!
2. loving myself
3. Adding the spiritual element to all of this.
4. more study!
5. more fun doing this. ie.. try more recipes!
6 that fun always has to do with FOOD!

10 habits I am in the process of changing.
1 confusing my weight as the only show of my health. IE I am trying to focus on how I feel during my WOL changes..and NOT as much on my dress size.
2. I get up early to exercise so it is not a bargaining tool for time.
3. I eat breakfast and make it for my daughter and Jen as well.
4. I make a lunch and take it to work.
5. I try to eat varied foods daily.
6. I take my supplements
7. I try to take time to relax and visualize the changes.
8. I drink more fluid.
9. I have planned my workouts ahead by thinking through what 6 week goals are.
10. Sleeping early!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 18:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/198/170
BF:
Progress: 24%

Why do I want to lose weight?

Well, first of all, I just don't like the way I look or how my clothes fit. I want to be able to look nice without having to be uncomfortable.

Its a health issue for me. I began hearing that after 40, its even tougher to lose weight. Well here I am at 38 so I better do something. Diabetes run strongly in my family-I just found out that my brother is on oral antidiabetic meds-he's 6 years older than me. My 1st cousin-who is one year older than me -is diabetic.
I am not trying to go there!

Also, as a nurse, I've seen the longterm effects of obesity and it ain't pretty!

10 patterns I accepted w/o question
1. I have to have dessert
2.I have to have a starchy side dish with each meal
3. I'm stressed out so I deserve a sundae
4. I show my dh, i'll overeat sweets
5. I've got a slow metabolism
6. They make nice clothes to fit my bigger size
7. I'm meant to be this size
8. Too much fat is bad
9. I don't really need that much protein
10. I'll never reach my goal

Things I am doing to change
realize and admit to myself that i have an addiction

planning my meals

reading for the facts

exercising

learnig new ways to cope with stress

kat
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 07:56

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30

Well... I really dislike Dr. Phil... but this is a great thread! LOL!

Why do you want to lose weight?

I was becoming uncomfortable in my skin. I want to be able to do the things in life that make me happy without feeling uncomfortable or physically stressed. Things like running all day at Walt Disney World with my family - riding every thrill ride I want!, Having sex with my husband and feeling sexy at the same time.... riding my horses and not having to reposition my fat thighs so that my leg can hang properly to give the horse proper signals. Fitting normal sized clothes and having them fit comfortably loose.

To regain my sense of feeling "okay" with myself.

What are you doing -- or not doing -- to lose weight?

I am eating low carb - following the Atkins plan. I am doing it "right" - moving through the phases in a purposeful manner. I drink lots of water, spread my carbs out throughout the day, eat enough but not too much protein... and make sure that the bulk of my fats are "good" fats that contribute to my long term health. I talk to myself each day - that this is a Way of Eating that is for life - MY LIFE.

Pinpoint ten patterns of living that you have accepted without question. For example: putting off your exercise or snacking when you're not hungry." (From Dr. Phil's website)

1) I need a schedule in my life or I tend to make bad eating choices.
2) I cannot allow myself to be in denial - that is how I have always gained weight... but not weighing and by ignoring what I was eating. What I didn't know... DID hurt me.
3) I am a morning person - that is when I have energy and strength - so I need to put my daily "hard" activities or commitments into the morning.
4) I eat for amusement if I am bored.
5) I love to cook. Low carb is a joy because I can cook wonderful satisfying food - using real, whole foods.
6) When I am stressed - I tend to withdraw from my circle of friends and family. Of course that is when I need them most.
7) I really only enjoy exercise - AFTER it is done! LOL! But I have to remember how the "after" feels - so that I get it started and do it.
8) I am a mother - it is an integral part of my life - and I am at my best when I act on these "selfless" maternal instincts.
9) I am loved by many worthy people. I need to remember that when I am hard on myself.
10) My body is not that of a 20 year old. It never will be again. It is great for 40, but I need to keep a grip on perspective and not set unrealistic expectations of myself.

That was a good exercise to do... strongly encourage everyone to do this.