Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 07:58

Plan: low fat,lowcarb..high pro
Stats: 302/175/155 Female 64 inches
BF:52/not good/22
Progress: 86%
Default Having your picture taken

I would like to know if anybody out there is like me. I hate to have my picture taken because of my weight. I have yet to have a family portrait done. My kids are ten and four and every christmas I take them to walmart, sears, jcpenney etc and I have never got in on the picture. I have few photos of me from the last few years because of my size and most of the pictures I have were taken from the kids snapping my picture when I didn't want them too. I know I have lost quite a bit but I am still not comfortable to step in front of a camera.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:11

Plan: Atkins (induction)
Stats: 240/232/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default You're not alone!

Yes I am this way. I do have pics taken only cause I do like my picture taken, but with the weight it is all from waist up or just neck up.

My weight lays on my hips mostly and the thighs, but of course lets not forget the chest area. I have not gotten in the picture with my kids for a Christmas picture either. My daughter is going on 12 and my son is 4. The Christmas is going to be different, it is something I "need" to do for them and for me. They live in Maine and I only see them every few months. They want pictures of me with them and of course where they arent living with me at the moment I need pictures of them.

I would suggest just doing it. At least if ya do it, then you will have the picture forever. But if you dont do it, you will never have one to look back on and see how great you look with your kids, no matter what either of ya look like. Just to know that they are your kids and they will eventually want pictures of you with them. They are your kids, they love you no matter.

Also, when ya lose your weight, you can look back on that picture and in a future Christmas, you can have another one done and see the results. And you will be proud to show off both sets.

Just my thought

Have a great day!

Swt_T
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I really understand what you are saying. My daughters are 24 and 29 and the pictures of me and them are few and far between. I really regret it now. There is no way to go back and time and get those pics of us together when they were kids. No matter what weight you are, you are their mother, and those pics will be priceless to them long after you are gone. Don't do what I did - take those pics and leave them with something that is priceless!! Cindi
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:23
Registered Member

Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default I took one

With my boy a few years ago. It was a horrible picture and I never gave them to anyone. Didn't look good of him OR of me, and I'm not particularly glad I took it.

I do think it is a good idea to do once in awhile, but I haven't done it either, (except that one time and it was a disaster). If we think we are "too fat" though and we plan to stay too fat for the rest of our lives then I guess you need to just do it.

Do you really want NO photos of you and your kids? On the other hand if you are losing weight at a rapid pace, no reason not to wait awhile?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:35

BF:

I don't want to sound rude at all, please understand that. But when ya say "no reason not to wait" , I have to disagree with it.
With what is going on in this world today, I never "wait" I grab it and do it. Maybe it's cause I'm in NYC and I see everyday what happend a year ago, and the losses that came with it. Ya just never know what may happen ---

I wish I had pictures of my childhood with my parents or just pictures of my parents. My dad died in 1999 at age 52 of a massive heartattack and I dont have one single picture of him. No one saw his death coming and we didn't have a chance to make up any wrong. To add to this I hadn't seen him in 12 years before his death. Trust me, get the picture. For your kids, if not for you.

Sorry if this sounds to forward or blunt for most of ya, but this is one thing that I have such strong feelings for. And I think honesty from someone who knows the feeling of not having those pictures may help.

Thanks, (ok I wont be responding again, I think I've voiced my opinion to the extent, and perhaps beyond.)

Swt_T
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 11:21

Default thanks

I appreciate your candor. I think I might actually go thru it this year. At least If I have it done at walmart (real cheap) if it comes out crappy i didn't actually spend alot. I also think if I wear black and put the two in front of me, therefore only seeing me from the neck up how bad could it look. I know they love me no matter what. My little one asked the other day, "mom are you skinny yet?" He might not be able to say atkins very well but he knows theres stuff I can't eat. I guess I can never get the time back and acting now instead of waiting is probably the way to go. Also by next year I plan on being at my goal and having it done again will be great knowing I look the best that I can. I also think that ashley is coming up on those years were having your picture taken for a christmas card and family thing will be a kid thing. Her hormones are raging some days and it won't be long before she wants no part of mom and little brother. So I am almost positive that I will do it this year in about a month so I have one more month to lose. I wish I knew about atkins and lc a year ago and then I wouldn't be in this delimma. Thanks for the advice.
laurie
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 12:31
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm with Swt_T on this one.

I have lost over 100 lbs now (not showing in my profile because 70 are from 10 years ago) and i'm telling you that I did exist before. I now wish I could see who I was and what I looked like.
I wish I could show my friends now who I was then... how much I have come... I wish I could show my DH what I looked like to explain why I am so ridiculously obsessed about food (he knows in his head what I weighed and what I tell him but he doesn't understand who I was).

All i'm saying is that you exist now not just when you look how you want to look (FYI- I don't know if that day ever comes) and you are important to people NOW and if something happens to you (godforbid- knocking wood here) your pictures would be so very important to those that love you AS IS!

Love yourself today - this is really important!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 12:49
Registered Member

Stats: 159.5/151.0/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I have two children, 9 and 12... I use to stay out of most pictures due to me looking (and being) over weight. I just can't stand to see pictures of my face being so round and no neck, so ... well, fat.

My son asked me not too long ago while we were looking at photos "gee mom, where were you ?" I laughed and told him I was the photographer! But, I see his point... I want him to have memories of me BEING here - me being his mom - being a part of thier lives - fat or not... he loves me for who I am - HIS MOM. So, I have tried to be in more pictures (use the camera setting to take by itself of all of us, etc.) I don't really care for the pics but they are not really for me.. .they are for my children who will appreciate them one day even if I never do.

Your kids don't care what you look like... don't let it hinder you being with them... they love YOU and want YOU to be a part of their childhood... I am having to learn this same lesson. I almost lost my privilege of being their mother (through a custody battle) and I have a whole new outlook on being a mom... what a true blessing and gift it is - treasure it...and let them have the memories of you being with them - being their mom!

Thanks for being so honest with us here... made me make another commitment to myself to continue being in the pics - will be taking a holiday picture in less than one month. Thanks !

KarenS
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 13:56
Registered Member

Stats: 197/156/147 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Pictures for your children.

I have never liked having my picture taken, even at relatively 'thin' times in my life.
But when I got married ...I didn't have much choice.
Interesting, the photographer that we hired took some color and some black & white....and the black & white ones look pretty good. Much less harsh and more flattering to a 'full' figure. So you may want to try that.
Also, I read once that professional models practice their best 'angle'. I don't know about you, but I don't even like to look in the mirror let alone practice, but okay, I did it a bit, and now know that I look best if I look off to the distance, a bit to the left or right, and upwards...sounds odd maybe, but the harsh glare of a camera 'face on' makes ANYONE look awful...

So, good ahead, take your picture. My mom died when I was 18, and I have less than 10 pictures of her....and as I write this, I have tears in my eyes....so there's no need to say more is there...

Love to you all....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 14:02

BF:

Yea I know I said I wasn't gonna reply anymore, but I cant help it

Suzan --

I agree with ya on having to find out what angle is your best. If ya look at my www under this message you can see all kinds of pics the ones with me from neck up were all posed (trying to find that best pose) The one in my profile is one of the better ones, notice the side angle, kind of tilt head down (or up is good) and I added the hand in too. Those look good (ok some look good) and the ones under the NYC pics, well no comment --- those were taken after my quitting smoking and gaining the extra 40-50 pounds! Definately the straight ahead look to the camera is not the best option (especially for us with the full round face).

And as I said before I love my pic taken, I'm just careful on the angle and all.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

This thread turned out to be helpful to me- although I usually am the greatest photo-avoidance artist you would ever want to see! I offer to take the photos, I mysteriously disappear at photo time, or flat out refuse and act ugly. I have even been known to claim I am Native American and that it is against my religion- that one works surprisingly well, if it isn't family, and you say it with a straight face!
This morning, however, my stepson and his wife were here, passing through. They are in the process of adopting a baby, and one of the requiremnets is that they show a family photo album, so they wanted to take a photo of their Dad and the wicked stepmother (me) I took a deep breath, remembered all the wise words here, and let them do it..........sigh. I'll hate myself in the morning............
Kat
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 13:11
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Good for you Kat!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 13:06

Default I am so glad Im not alone on this one!

I guess starting this thread was a good idea and has let me see that this is a common occurence. I do love to take pictures but getting in them is another story. Its not like im ugly. How often have I heard my relatives say "she has such a pretty face if she could only lose weight." As I lose I feel more and more comfortable about myself and I notice that more people do talk to me which I feel is unfortunate for them that they didn't talk to me sooner. When I have that photo taken with billy and ashley I will have to scan it in so I can post it along with my before picture. Im hoping I will have lost 73.5lbs by then and it will also be my half way picture to my goal. Thanks again for all of everybodies help to see I shouldnt waste anymore time.
Laurie
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 13:11

Default One more thing

utahkat you look great by your picture in your thread and breaking 300 and already 294. wow
I am sure that picture came out great.
Laurie
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

Laurie, you are sweet, but I don't photgraph well. When you take 'em yourself, you can rip up all the bad ones! I have been known to sneak pictures of me out of other people's photos! Bad, bad girl- I am really hard core!

I have a really really bad photo of me posted on another forum. That took some doing, to get the nerve to put it there. It isn't quite a "before" shot, as at 370, no way! I don't remember what I weighed exactly anymore, but it was in July, so it must have been around 330 or 340. It was sooooo bad and served as incentive, because I thought of it everytime I was even remotely tempted to slack off! The next one, 2 months later, I had a haircut, put on a better bra, wore black and held my tummy in! But by then I was getting that healthy "Exercise and Atkins" look, complete with bony cheekbones!

But I think you are right, and when I get closer to goal, hubby and I should have a pro photo taken together. I won't like having my picture taken any better when I am thin than I do now, but sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Hugs,
Kat