Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 07:02

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Returning for some maintenance:-)

I accomplished a very successful low carb reduction (from 230 to 185) in the fall of 2017, and then returned to regular eating..and drifted into some bad eating habits. So I am now 208 (as of this morning), and am getting ready to go on another low carb adventure to get down to between 180 and 185. I am going to start next Monday (4/22) at the latest, although I may move that up to Saturday. I just need to consume some of the carb rich foods I already have in the pantry/refrigerator, to clear them out without wasting them.

I always knew that I would need to revisit low carb periodically to maintain a healthy weight, and I am not interested in living low carb all the time. That said, when I emerge again from the other end of this low carb adventure, I need to make better choices so I can go 3 years between intense low carb dieting:-)

Look for me to report in on the monthly weigh in May!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 11:52

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Welcome, Sniggle.

I completely understand not wanting to live very low carb all the time. There are lots of foods we love that get scratched off the list when we go from standard diets of 300 g carbs/day to 30g. I think you'll find a lot of people around here believe in some form of long-term lower carb eating (anything from primal/paleo around 100g of carbs to very low carb around 20g). Many of us have come to that conclusion based on reading a lot of scientific information about the damage that high carb diets can do to our health--including yo-yo dieting. While you're here, I hope you can explore ways of adjusting your eating for life, so that you can find a balance between what you love to eat and maintaining your weight, so that you don't ever have to have periods of intense dieting and re-gain again!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 06:53

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I agree with CityGirl, it's probably not sensible to lose weight low-carbing, go back to eating "normally" and then have to it all over again, at least not more than once. When low carbing is going well, you wonder why you ever worried about sticking to it, but then those little voices start calling to you and once you start to stray it's hard to rein it in. That's my experience. I don't have to go hog wild to put weight on if I eat carbs. I don't even have to overdo it by all that much. If I can have my couple of squares of 90% black chocolate most days, I think I can maybe kiss goodbye to all those carbs for good this time around. I'm now about 7 kg up on my lowest weight after I started low-carbing and I'm struggling to shed them again.
If someone asked most overweight people what they would give to be slim, in some cases I think it would be something that seems more precious than eating carbs. But because they are always around to tempt us it is a never-ending struggle for many of us.