Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 14:27

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163.4/154.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Were you successful at Low Carb and Pregnancy?

If so, sell me on it! How much did you gain? How was your pregnancy? Did you limit artificial sweeteners? What did you eat instead?

I went lower carb and fell off and can't get back on! HELP! Inspirational stories will get me in the mental place I need.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 18:39

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Having an LC pregnancy was the best thing I ever did! I had zero morning sickness, and all my other markers of health stayed great throughout - low BP, little to no swelling, lots of energy, and I passed my glucose challenge with flying colors.

When I conceived I was 179 pounds, and I only gained a total of 12 pounds in 42 weeks and 2 days. Now that I think about it, had I not been LC I may have ended up with a c-section, I had the energy to push the last 8 hours of a 26 hour long labor in a hospital with a "starvation and clear fluids only" policy during labor. I felt so great my whole pregnancy, I had no problem with going past my dates and would have gone longer without pressure to induce from my care providers.

Now at 5 weeks postpartum, I am nearly 20 pounds under my beginning pre-pregnancy weight. Despite a very bad tear I was feeling back to normal in no time. I did use splenda as I always have, and had a very occasional (like 5-6 over 9 months) diet (aspartame) soda. I kept my diet pretty much the same as before I got pregnant.

Good luck with your pregnancy and staying LC, it is so totally worth it!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 18:45

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163.4/154.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 66%

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! That is just what I needed to hear. You are the best!

And seriously, congrats. That is amazing. This is my second pregnancy and it is just so tough to be good all the time!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 15:30

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

You are most welcome. It really helped me to stay focused on how great I was feeling along with the health benefits for me and my babe and remembering how much control I had over that by what I was putting into my mouth. I was told by many people that they'd never seen someone so not-miserable throughout an entire pregnancy. "Being good" got a whole lot easier for me when I ventured into the LC Sweet Treats forum