Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "There is in an increased interest in the Weight Watchers diet"

There is in an increased interest in the Weight Watchers diet

By Deanna Lites

link to article

CHICAGO, IL MAY 16- One of the oldest diet plans is once again soaring in popularity. Dr. Deanna Lites takes a look at an old standard.

Weight Watchers is not your mother's diet plan anymore. The revamped program is winning back customers in big numbers. Karen from Tinley Park rejoined Weight Watchers one week ago and now, she's almost five pounds lighter. "I tried the Atkins and couldn't live without the carbohydrates. With this you can eat whatever you want, you just have to make sure you count the points," explained Karen.

Jan from Chicago did Weight Watchers 30 years ago. Since rejoining in November, she's lost 44 pounds. "I like it because I don't feel deprived," said Jan. These two women are among those discovering that this 40-year-old weight loss plan is hot again. Weight Watchers International says 1.5-million people attend weekly group meetings, like the one at Sears Tower. The company says attendance was up 18-percent last year and financial analysts confirm the double-digit increase.

This, despite a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, that people assigned to the program for free lost only an average 7-pounds after two years in the plan.

So what's behind Weight Watchers resurgence? In 1997, the company revamped it's entire strategy. The Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, joined as spokesperson. And the company switched from pushing prepared food products, to a new plan called Winning Points.

No food is off limits. Each food has a points value based on fat, fiber and calories. For example, an apple is one point, a 3-ounce serving of chicken breast is 3 points and a Krispy Kreme donut is 5 points. Members are given a daily points range based on their weight, about 20-25 points on average. Members can also save up points for special occasions by exercising. "If I want to eat pizza, or I want to eat ice cream, real ice cream, not low-fat, if I save my points, I can do that," expressed Jan.

Winning Points gets good marks from dietitians for encouraging a variety of foods and exercise. Dave Grotto with the American Dietetic Association said, "they give their clients a really sensible program that doesn't really eliminate any type of food. All foods can certainly fit in an appropriate diet. And the bottom line really is calorie control."

Weight Watchers is reportedly cheaper than the other top commercial diet plans. Last year Fortune Magazine found it costs $12 to lose a pound on Weight Watchers, compared with $45 for Nutri-System, and $50 for Jenny Craig.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:48

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Counting Points = Deprevation = Hard to Maintain. 10-1 she quits Weight Watchers also. if she can't stay on Atkins, there is no way she can stay on Weight Watchers.

BTW, for the cost part:

1 Week Hi-Carb Food: $10
1 Week Low-Carb Food: $30
Time on Atkins: 21 Weeks
Weight Lost: 75 Pounds

75 Pounds
-------------- = 3.57 pounds/week
21 Weeks

$20 week
---------------- = $5.60 pound
3.57 pounds

That is less than half of the $12/pound they estimated WW at. Even if we figured the full amount.

$30 week
---------------- = $8.40 pound
3.57 pounds

Low-Fat/Hi-Carb Diet:

$10 week
---------------- = $20.00 pound
0.5 pounds

Price per pound Atkins has 'em all licked. I'm not going to try to estimate the cost Maintnance, because that varies too much.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:51

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

The above figures are based on a variety of foods. If I stick to Eggs and Bacon, it is only $15 a week.

$5.00 week
---------------- = $1.40 pound
3.57 lbs/week

Last edited by cc48510 : Fri, May-16-03 at 13:52.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The funny part is that their estimated cost per pound is based on membership fees paid to WW while losing weight, not on the cost of the food eaten during the weight loss process. Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig may be a bit different since you have to buy their food on the plan as well as pay membership fees.
So...assuming that you spend 8 bucks on the paperback version of Dr. Atkins' book, that comes out to....10.6 cents per pound so far. WOW!