Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 22:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Unhappy <sigh>

I was doing SOOOOOO well. Tonight, I even got on the scale and had lost another pound! I called a friend long distance to share, and felt great.

Then, I went shopping. After reading all the threads on alcohol, I thought that after having a few shots of vodka with soda and lime the last few days (avoiding anything with berries or grains) that I would search for a "bone dry" wine. I stood in the wine shelves for a long time, reading labels, wondering, WTF is a "bone dry" wine? Some had meters on the labels, but I could only find "dry" and not the "very dry." So, while I had a wonderful chunk of sea bass in my basket, and frozen spinach in my freezer (which I ended up never eating, since I've somehow lost interest in veggies), I decided to purchase a 150 ml bottle of white merlot, which was not only dry, but they claimed they had made it "drier."

So, I made a small spencer steak with horseradish and the sea bass for a "surf and turf" dinner, with the wine. Of course, it being a Saturday evening and me being alone in my apartment watching Bette Davis, I ended up sipping up the whole bottle, believe it or not...but it was 10.5% alcohol...the lowest for a wine I've ever had, and I'm only feeling slightly warm even now.

Thing is, that after that, I had to take a ride to my relatives' to pick up some things since I'm leaving the country for a couple of weeks (I have noted that I'm currently in Estonia, but I'm actually in Ohio but will be in Estonia in two days and have lived there for the last two years..will change it when I return)...and on the way home, happenrd past a favorite ice cream stand. There used to be only one of the type in this state, and then two, and this was a surprise of a third one.

I couldn't help it. I was mesmerized. I went in, and asked for my favorite. Howevever, I wanted to know the sugar content and they had no clue. Oh, they could tell me how much fat it didn't have, but I told them I wasn't interested...I wanted to know about the sugar. They didn't know. They suggested I get a small amount. I was already crazed, and said "Gimme the jumbo," which is my habit from years ago.

I ate a small amount on the way home, and it was amazing how I seemed to taste the sugar in it. I put it aside (I had a long drive on the freeway) but as it melted I was tempted even more, since I love that particular ice cream half-melted. So, I ended up eating the whole thing.

So, what did I do then? I went home and figured, "I have to counteract it with pure fat!" I had some link sausages and finished off my wine (don't ask).

Then I started to get other cravings, and here I am with a beer <ugh> and not even a Miller Light, since I didn't want to buy a six pack and the store didn't have it in 24 oz., so I'm drinking my old favorite, Molson Ice.

Dammmit! I feel like I really fell off the induction and went crazy. Still, althought I feel like I've gone far overboard, I am motivated to start tomorrow with induction again....

Can anyone tell me how much I've harmed my progress? How much will this set my metabolism, ketosis and weight loss back? I'm fighting feelings of depression and having failed....but I feel motivated enought to start again tomorrow, because the progress I saw in only a few days was phenomenal....

I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but it sure helps to share mytruth here....thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 22:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I could say "read and heed" but as it happens with us humans, "live and learn" is usually the way we do things!

Now you really, really know. Be prepared for cravings tomorrow and feeling out of sorts but be strong. Don't give in to the carb !

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 23:13

Thank you, Karen. It feels good to hear factual, non-judgemental encouragement. Yes...I expect to feel like crap tomorrow... and your affirmation/confirmation keeps me from going into delusions or justifying the "acting out" of this "binge."

You know, I'm here on the computer at work because I happened to stop in to check on some work while I was in the neighborhood. I will likely stop by tomorrow, and maybe Monday. On Tuesday, I leave the country. Unfortunately, I won't have 24/7 access to a computer until I'm in Estonia and again when I return. In the meantime, I feel this message board becoming a real lifeline for me, and I'll do anything I can to check in as often as I can.

Thanks Karen, and to everyone!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 23:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have a great trip and remember to bring your own food on the plane. Even a diabetic plane meal is enough to put a low-carber in to a coma!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 19:31

Default Thanks, Karen...

Great advice. I've actually considered calling the airlines to order low-carb (according to Atkins, the closest thing is often their kosher meal). However, I decided against it, and instead figured that some deviled eggs, ham and cheese rolls, a salad, would be easy and would also use up the leftovers in my fridge before the trip too!

Well, I won't be posting until later this week...so long as my computer hookup in Estonia hasn't been shut down.

I appreciate all the encouragement and great info on this board. I'll keep checking back!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 00:41

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up U and U alone are in charge

Hi Tikerberi

ummm u've got me wondering if there is a berry called tiker somewhere in the world! one that I don't know about.

It is easier to fall than most of us realise - until we learn to watch out and be ahead of any little hair that could trip us up. If u do fall, be an ice-skater ... get up instantly and carry on ... Torvill & Dean were my heros ... I still use their techniques to get me past those tricky spots.

Remember the carbs no longer control you. YOU are taking charge. And yes, this Forum is a definite lifeline to keeping you on track, motivated, inspired and happy.

Hope you have a good flight and stay committed to LCing and to giving yourself the best life u can.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 01:36

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Im new to all this myself so have no suggestions but just want to thank you for posting and sharing your slip.

I got the big time carb munchies this afternoon and actually had a cookie in my hand before putting it away again So thanks for the warning.

Sooo many times I go on diets after psycing (spelling?) myself up for weeks before hand and then I get soo mad and dissapointed by throwing it all away. I give into the carb monster and so regret it!!! just like you are, but heh, isnt it great to have found this site with all these wise people to share the journey, ups and downs with.
With all this help we can do it !!!

Keep coming back as often as you can and I hope you enjoy your trip.Let us know how your doing before you leave wont you

best wishes Bloom
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 08:35
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Re: <sigh>

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tikerberi
Of course, it being a Saturday evening and me being alone in my apartment watching Bette Davis, I ended up sipping up the whole bottle, believe it or not...but it was 10.5% alcohol...the lowest for a wine I've ever had, and I'm only feeling slightly warm even now.

Thing is, that after that, I had to take a ride to my relatives' to pick up some things
[Quote]

Ok, I'm sorry but I have to question something. When you say you had to 'take a ride'...did *you* drive (after drinking all that wine)? If the answer is yes then I wouldn't worry so much about the carbs, it's the drinking under the influence that you should be worrying about.

If you didn't drive then please disregard.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I just felt it had to be said.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 09:58

Plan:
Stats: 225/205/180
BF:
Progress:
Default booze

It's different for each dieter, but for me alcohol is the kiss of death to this diet.

I can do very well if I have no alcohol at all, but for me, as for the originator of this thread, the decision to have "a" glass of wine at home tends to leave me sitting on the couch and watching a movie, with the wine gradually leaving the bottle as the plot winds to its conclusion. Then, the next day, my resolve having been weakened by the wine and a little fuzziness, I begin to slip. I fail to eat breakfast because I slept in. I forget to pack a lunch. On the way to my office I order a couple of sausage and egg biscuits planning to pitch the biscuit, then don't. That pepperoni pizza dinner is on the horizon and calling my name. Would you like a Miller Lite or glass of red wine with that?!

What I always come back to is that carbohydrates are addictive and are so relentlessly pushed on us out in the world, that practically anything that weakens the will causes backsliding. The same goes with beer, wine, liquor, etc.

On the other hand, what sort of life are we left with if we must forever disregard the fruit of the vine or the mythic glory of the ice cream parlor of our youth?

It must all come down to self control. Overcome cravings for carbs and alcohol. Make time to exercise. Reach that goal. Thereafter, moderation.

I can dream, can't I?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 10:13
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Excellent Post, Jim

I agree with everything you wrote....well said. The other night I won some tickets (from a radio station) to go on a cruise on a nearby lake. My neighbor and I went and had a great time but I did have 2 drinks (she drove home). On the way home, I had this incredible craving for Jack in the Box. Oh how I wanted those fries and a huge chocolate shake.

Thank goodness it was late and they were already closed or else I might have given into temptation.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 10:52

Stats: 173/162/130
BF:
Progress: 26%

I've only just started myself so I don't know how it will affect your progress etc. But I'd just hop back on the wagon and continue on! I've read lots of "stories" from other low carbers and most of them have a few of these little setbacks. Hugs to you and hope you're having a better day today
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power/Atkins
Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

I understand the slip up. I had a few coctails this weekend myself. I felt better about it because I had 7 & 7's with diet 7-up, so I figured I was not cheating too badly.But I had huge carb cravings that night. Luckily I talked myself - slightly buzzing - into bacon and an egg. It got me thru the moment. I truly understand.

I am single and in my early 30's and going out to clubs is definitely part of my life, so I have been trying o make sure anything I do is in moderation. 2 Light beers was my tops last time I went out. I found to stay away from tonic water - as it is loaded with carbs. Diet soda seems to be the best bet as a mixer. I also had a family reunion the other week and everyone was drinking slush (loaded with sugary stuff) so i made some Vodka and crystal light and froze it so it was slushy as well. This worked very well for me.

I really have to point out, for you as well as for myself, that it WILL slow weight loss down, so keep that in mind when making the choice. Also it WILL break down your will power to stay away from carbs.

Keep the faith and hop back on the bus and get back with the program. The sooner you do the better you'll feel.

Giggles