Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 12:34
Italian Goddess

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/199/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 53%

I have whole wheat pasta, I suppose I should use that instead of semolina pasta? Also, should I get the wheat bagels or doesnt it matter?

I'm scared to eat it, grins, but I'm going to try it for a couple weeks and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's not a WHOLE lot of difference in GI between whole wheat and regular bagels, etc.

I tend to do multigrain pasta, but that's more a matter of "I like the taste" than anything else. I find it fills me up more. Plus, I like getting in all the extra fiber.

If you're nervous, try one day on low-fat, higher carb (the highest I generally go is about 150g) followed by two days on high-fat, low carb. Exercise your butt off the day of the carbup, and the first day following carbup - heavy lifting, followed by some cardio. If you're gonna do HIIT, either of these days would be a good choice.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:17
Italian Goddess

BF:

thanks my friend, I'll keep you posted
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:23

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

I am hooked on sweet potatoes lately.
Baked then I add a touch of Divinci carmel syrup and a dash of orange extract.
Just like Thanksgiving but LC.

Jag
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:23
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Exercise your butt off the day of the carbup, and the first day following carbup - heavy lifting, followed by some cardio. If you're gonna do HIIT, either of these days would be a good choice.

I disagree with exercising the day of the carb up. It defeats the hormonal purpose of the carb up. Take the day off.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:27
Italian Goddess

BF:

Jag, that sounds deeeelicious!

Damn, wish I could remember how to do the "quote" thing, but anyhow.

Since I exercise so early in the morning, my carb ups will start after my workout, so I'll carb up that day and skip cardio the next?(man, any excuse to skip cardio, blek)
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:29
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thunder-
I disagree with exercising the day of the carb up. It defeats the hormonal purpose of the carb up. Take the day off.

I guess I'm thinking of a comfort level thing again here. I feel like shit if I eat carbs and don't do any exercise that day.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:35
Italian Goddess

BF:

I feel like crap too if I eat a higher carb meal than normal, feel like my guts hanging over my jeans ;-x

Cant wait to try that sweet potato dish! (yeah I'm kinda hungry)
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Ok, nevermind my suggestion.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 13:40
Registered Member

BF:

No, Thunder, I think your suggestion is correct. It's just our weird little messed-up metabolisms that get in our way here. I'll try incorporating a low-fat day with no exercise next week to see if I can get away with it now. I sure couldn't have a year ago without feeling really sick. Mine was just a suggestion to help lowcarbers ease into the world of carbups without really feeling weird.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: anpb diet
Stats: 228/221/215 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
I guess I'm thinking of a comfort level thing again here. I feel like shit if I eat carbs and don't do any exercise that day.

If you lift durring your carb load you won't speed up your metabolism as well.

Heck I do a full body workout to totally deplete my muscles to the fullest and then carb load for 36 hours. Eating every 2 hours. My metabolism is just in outer space for that peroid of time and it is faster durring the week as well. Remember that when you carb load your muscles are in super anabolic mode. You will burn more fat if you do nothing durring that time. Leptin levels will come back to normal as well as your other hormones.

I mean what could be much better(other than great sex) than eating 8000 calories over a 36 hour peroid and still be burning fat.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 21:11
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I love sweet potato. Plantain is even better.

red
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 10:41

Plan: south beach
Stats: 138/130/120 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 44%

Is the carb up for more energy and strength during weight training? Or for a jump start on your metabolism? I weight train about 2-3 days a week and cardio 4 days. The only problem with my workouts is that I have to do cardio first (this is in the evening). I know this isn't best for fat burn but I have it this way because of my schedule. I take high impact step and kickboxing classes and make it to the gym right before they start. Strength training before cardio isn't an option on most days although I wish it was. Carb loading really works? Would it work with my work out schedule? I've read a lot of Builts posts and they've helped me but I'm still not sure if I would benefit form carb loading. Any advice for me?
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: anpb diet
Stats: 228/221/215 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 54%

Carb loading will speed up your metabolism and it will add muscle mass which also speeds up metabolism for the long term. You will also have more energy when you work out and you will be stronger as well.

If you don't carb load and just go low carbs all the time you will eventually slow down your metabolism and your hormonal system will get out of whack as well. Your body adjusts too fast.

I never do any diet for more than 2 weeks without a change. I usually do 2 weeks of hardcore dieting followed by a week or two of maintenance to let my hormon levels get back to normal. This speeds up your metabolism and gives your body a rest. Dieting is stress on the body.

I am carb loading right now. So far over the last 27 hours I have had 1450 grams of carbs, about 120 grams glutamine,300 grams prtotein,15 grams CLA,and about 35 grams fat. I had to force feed myself for the first 16 hours. It hurts to eat 6 servings of instant mashed potatos in one sitting. But my metabolism is on fire right now. I will be able to maintane on a higher calorie intake durring the next two weeks. Then will go on a hardcore low carb diet again for probably two weeks(less than 20 grams per day) and then do another huge carbup. At the moment I am not losing weight on a longer term. I am losing fat and gaining lean body mass. That is fine with me. The weight never matters to me. Its the overall look.