Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 10:22

Plan: LowCarb/Metformin/IF
Stats: 230/190/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default "Grain Brain" new book by David Perlmutter & Kristin Loberg

Due out today.

Quote:
In Grain Brain you make a very strong case linking wheat, carbs, and sugar with an increased likelihood of many degenerative and chronic diseases, but most definitively brain dysfunction, and namely Alzheimer's, which you call "type 3" diabetes. Can you explain the science behind the link?

The science supporting the relationship between carbohydrates and dementia is quite exciting, as it paves the way for lifestyle changes that can profoundly affect a person's chances of remaining intact, at least from a brain perspective. In a recent study published by the Mayo Clinic, those consuming a higher-fat, lower-carbohydrate diet had an astounding 65 percent risk reduction for dementia. Likely the advantage to the lower-carbohydrate diet stems from its effect on lowering blood sugar, as studies have clearly linked lower blood sugars to reduced risk of dementia, and specifically Alzheimer's disease. As blood sugar elevates, it dramatically changes brain proteins leading to increased production of damaging chemicals called free radicals, as well as increasing damaging chemical mediators of inflammation. Both of these processes are now recognized as pivotal players in the degeneration of the brain seen in Alzheimer's disease. Moreover, research (also from the Mayo Clinic) now connects gluten sensitivity to brain inflammation and dementia. So it's important not only to maintain a low-carbohydrate diet, but to remain strictly gluten-free, especially if laboratory testing reveals gluten sensitivity.

News Source
Are Carbs Messing with Your Brain?

By Redbook | Healthy Living

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 10:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'm starting to find this all very worrying. Our governments and health organisations seem to refuse to listen, try or believe in any of this, yet the evidence is now overwhelming. I guess the answer is cost, the collapse of multi billion companies and fear of litigation. But surely they could open up a bit about it all????? Even the "on the ground" medics and clinicians are starting to question the low fat/high carb mantra

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 12:04

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I sent this to a low fat, high carb, co-worker whose mother is suffering from dementia. I hope it helps both of them.

To Ojoj's point, I've given up on the government and medical profession. Of course it's fear of collapsing all the multi-billion dollar industries that flourish on the human addiction to carbs (Big Processed Food, Big Pharma, Big Agriculture and more). As long as the government protects the dirty little secret of those industries, the medical industry will have to be subject to litigation if they tell patients low carb might solve their illnesses.

I'm so thankful I found out (actually from a doctor, a rare one!) and can only hope others will find out for themselves too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 13:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I just came here for the same reason -- thanks for beating me to it!

It has always taken a long time for a Very Radical Idea to take hold. In this case, we are fighting about 12,000 years of tradition.

I see our biggest problem as the way many people will simply not believe it.

Here's an interview with Dr. Perlmutter about his new book:

http://a.advancedbrain.com/events/e...p?id=SB&type=12

This might be a low-carb person with so many credentials that smearing him might be harder than most...

Last edited by WereBear : Tue, Sep-17-13 at 14:20.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 14:55

Plan: LowCarb/Metformin/IF
Stats: 230/190/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This might be a low-carb person with so many credentials that smearing him might be harder than most...

Mmmm, too much at stake. The ad hominem slights were begun long ago at least in this pre-review at BakingBusiness.com: (published last May???)

Quote:
Grain Brain moves focus of bread bashing to brain from heart

5/2/2013 - by Josh Sosland

(. . . )

Perlmutter backgrounder – no stranger to controversy

NAPLES, FLA. — A neurologist and fellow of the American College of Nutrition, David Perlmutter has a private medical practice in Naples, where his title is medical director of the Perlmutter Health Center and the Perlmutter Hyperbaric Center.

The center describes Dr. Perlmutter as “an internationally recognized leader in the use of hyperbaric oxygen in the treatment of neurological disorders,” but such treatment is not universally recognized as therapeutically beneficial. (. . . )

continuing on with a review of metanalyses of hyperbaric treatment for Multiple Sclerosis.

May be just a bit of a reach for the "Baking Business" blog.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 15:45

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

On a personal front I find this appealing. My dad has Alzheimers and, of course, I worry that I will get it too. The big difference between us is that he is a sugar addict and I'm not. He has 3 spoons of sugar in his tea, biscuits, wine, lots of fruit and then ice cream at the end of the day because he has been so good. His wife, who makes an effort to turn him into a healthy eater, in fact was a believer in low fat diets being healthy, so she would focus on that. This means that he was probably pretty high carb in addition to his added sugar intake.

Now that I am aware of the benefits of a LC diet I am able to eat the food I tend to prefer which is higher in fat/protein and lower in carb. He always believed in CICO and the idea that it doesn't matter what you eat, its just about calories.

I also remember him saying some years back that if you take a statin you can eat what you like and avoid heart disease. Fortunately he has back tracked on that one.

This is a guy who considers himself to be very smart.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 16:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleome
The center describes Dr. Perlmutter as “an internationally recognized leader in the use of hyperbaric oxygen in the treatment of neurological disorders,” but such treatment is not universally recognized as therapeutically beneficial. (. . . )

How can you be an internationally recognized leader in some quack therapy?

The list of his credentials in the beginning of the podcast I linked above was MUCH more impressive.

Dr. Davis and Dr. Atkins were cardiologists, Drs. Eades are experts in bariatric, nutritional, and metabolic medicine; these are not lightweights by any means. But a neurologist backing up what they said, about his speciality, dovetails with a lot of the new research coming out about Alzheimer's and dementia in general; it's not Dr. Perlmutter calling it Diabetes 3, it is the majority of cutting edge researchers backing him up.

It's really exciting to have this kind of new element added to the huge list of what low carb can save us from, isn't it?

It just makes me sad that out of all my family, I've only gotten through to a couple of them... and they, and my husband, just don't take it that seriously. My friends are very supportive, but the one who tried it had great results, but then drifted away as she cooked to please the rest of her family... I'm still the only person I know who is actually doing low carb.

In Greek mythology, Cassandra was given the gift of prophecy... and the curse of not being believed.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 16:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I just came here for the same reason -- thanks for beating me to it!

It has always taken a long time for a Very Radical Idea to take hold. In this case, we are fighting about 12,000 years of tradition.

I see our biggest problem as the way many people will simply not believe it.

Here's an interview with Dr. Perlmutter about his new book:

http://a.advancedbrain.com/events/e...p?id=SB&type=12

Just listened to it - I highly recommend it. He explains it well.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 04:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Both Robb Wolf (Episode 200, brilliant) and Jimmy Moore have already interviewed him as well. "Perlmutter's credentials as a board-certified neurologist and American College of Nutrition Fellow make him a uniquely qualified voice in the debate about which foods are best for the brain and body." --Kirkus Reviews ...supposedly the only doctor in the country with both specialities.
After hearing the very impressive interviews, I decided to request that our library system buy the book but 13 copies were already on order. Library Journal and publisher must have been promoting the book, an indication that this book may receive more wide spread press, not just from LC Paleo folks, this week. Looking forward to reading it.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Sep-18-13 at 05:12.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 11:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Both Robb Wolf (Episode 200, brilliant) and Jimmy Moore have already interviewed him as well.

Just listening to both: great stuff. Now I'll have to buy the book.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 20:18
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I found it interesting that in my paternal family, my grandmother was a massive sugar-holic and carb-holic -- she all but lived on pasta and candy -- and she is the one who ended up getting "dementia." Despite that she was "allegedly healthy" (yes, dementia FELL FROM THE SKY on her for NO REASON like all other illness).

I know people who are utterly convinced that diabetes is only part of their health because it runs in their family. Now I'm willing to give that some slack since issues of nutrient pattern needs and pancreatic islet cells and so forth really do vary with genetics I think, but the "it runs in your family, darn. Sure, eat pasta, but use insulin" is crazy.

PJ
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-13, 05:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I know people who are utterly convinced that diabetes is only part of their health because it runs in their family. Now I'm willing to give that some slack since issues of nutrient pattern needs and pancreatic islet cells and so forth really do vary with genetics I think, but the "it runs in your family, darn. Sure, eat pasta, but use insulin" is crazy.

Diabetes runs in my family, too, but I've been low carbing for ten years, and my eight years younger brother is now diagnosed with it. I know my choice of lifestyle has a lot to do with that contrast. Ten years ago my blood pressure and blood sugar were both creeping upward, along with my weight. Now, all of those situations have improved.

And look at all the people who continue with a practice they know will lead to trouble, and shrug it off with, "Ya gotta die from something."

Yeah, but wouldn't anyone prefer a choice?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-13, 14:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Both Robb Wolf (Episode 200, brilliant) and Jimmy Moore have already interviewed him as well. "Perlmutter's credentials as a board-certified neurologist and American College of Nutrition Fellow make him a uniquely qualified voice in the debate about which foods are best for the brain and body." --Kirkus Reviews ...supposedly the only doctor in the country with both specialities.
After hearing the very impressive interviews, I decided to request that our library system buy the book but 13 copies were already on order. Library Journal and publisher must have been promoting the book, an indication that this book may receive more wide spread press, not just from LC Paleo folks, this week. Looking forward to reading it.

Yay for libraries (I used to work in one). I decided to order from my library too and found that three copies were already on order. I'm third in line for when it comes in.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-13, 15:02

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

At first, I was prepared to dislike this book because it seemed like a not so subtle attempt to ride on the coattails of Wheat Belly's popularity. But after listening to the guy talk about his ideas on Jimmy Moore's podcast, I think this is a must read. The evidence just keeps piling up that a reduced carbohydrate diet is the de-facto "default diet" for mankind from an evolutionary viewpoint, and that it is strong preventive medicine indeed. Weight loss is great...but the REAL story about LC is that its the healthiest diet as well.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-13, 17:47

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Just ordered it. When I was in college I worked in a nursing home in an Alzheimer's ward. NO WAY to spend the end years of your life. I believe it even before reading the book, but I hope it is another chance to spread the word to friends and family.