Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-17-15, 21:33

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well I am a traditional Adkins DANDR person who eats three meals a day and it is my belief that this WOE has helped me keep my hormones in balance. I had a few hot flashes during "that time" but since starting Atkins, it all went away like magic and never came back.
You know, insulin is a hormone too.

I like her observations that women above a certain age have a harder time taking the weight off and I believe that age does play a role in that. I don't expect to ever be the same weight that I was when I was 22 years old and if I did reach that weight again, I probably would look emaciated now.

I think it's like an old car, you can tune it up and install a new transmission and maybe even paint it but most of the car still has old parts.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-17-15, 21:48

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Amy, if you are still reading, your posts are NOT too long. They are thorough, in depth. (Most) women have a different speaking amd writing style than men. Personally, I prefer it.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-15, 06:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Amy,
Thank you for posting and responding to the discussion points here! Please focus on the "witty and smart" part of my comment, because I actually do like all your long articles but realize not everyone can spend the time they deserve. As a cancer survivor, I am awaiting the remaining parts of the cancer series Thank you for covering it in-depth; it is on my list of resources for the use of Ketogenic Diets as adjuvant therapy.

Dr Westman has mentioned often that post-menopausal women find it difficult to lose weight (or even get to an OK lean state). So from his reality with patients to societal expectations...yesterday from library have Christie Brinkley's new book Timeless Beauty . Cover has note by her name imposed over photo of amazing legs *who happens to be 61 years old. Oh yeah, make all women in their 60s feel like a schlump.
Had to check her diet...mostly vegan, lacto-vegetarian since age 12, though she replaces eggs with applesauce and milk with almond milk. So maybe I should go back to being vegetarian and will have a Body like Brinkley's.
But she doesn't use the scale either...only a pair of "honest jeans. Mine lie

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Nov-18-15 at 10:23.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-15, 17:47

Plan: Self-designed
Stats: 158/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thanks, Liz and JEY.

I know my posts are very long compared to the rest of what's out there, but I figure there are about a hundred zillion other people out there writing similar things, so the people who like my style can stick around, and the ones who don't...well, they can go find someone else. Oddly enough, based on an uptick in page views and more people leaving comments, not too many people are turned off by the length. (And the ones who are? Well, maybe they're not my best audience anyway. If someone's looking for someone to sum up a complex medical condition in 100 words or less, I'm probably not their gal.) That being said, the biggest jumps in page views always come when Robb Wolf posts a link on Twitter or Facebook...imagine that. One little mention from RW is good for a couple thousand views.

I write what I want to write about, in the way I want to write about it, and it's icing on the (low-carb) cake that anyone out there has stumbled onto my blog -- and even more amazing that people come back for more, haha!

Seriously, though, the person who probably learns the most from my blog is ME. They say that the way to really learn something is to teach it to someone else. And that's kind of what my blog has become. A community college-type class in whatever topic strikes my fancy at that particular time.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-15, 19:02

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I'm so glad you posted the link for TuitNutrit, JEY!! I've never heard of this blogger who really should be more famous. I've read books by Dr. Atkins, The Metabolic Typing Diet (fabulous resource), as well as Why We Get Fat. I skim through Mark's Daily Apple, but find that I don't know a lot of the jargon and I get so discouraged when I see dads dropping 40 pounds in a month after realizing their college football days are over, like Amy mentioned. I spent hours yesterday reading her 8 part series on insulin and cried. I'm probably hormonal and whatnot, but it just all made so much sense! I understand why I don't get those huge whooshes of weight loss the first month when I come back to Keto Land! I naturally consume 1100-1300 calories a day and very little protein. So when I rededicate myself to this WOE, my calories jump to 1600 or so, I usually start exercising (=soreness) AND I'm finally giving my body nourishment that it yearns to have...regularly. So, 3 pounds the first week, 1 pound the next, and up 2 pound the following week is NO reason to become discouraged! I wish more women out there knew this stuff. I'm 35 and I can't imagine how hard this journey would be for someone post menopausal. I hope I lose this weight, so that I don't have to find out! Serious respect goes out to women who are making progress during and after that hormonal nightmare.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 05:12

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

Dear Amy, your posts are not too long.

Oh, sometimes I need to take a break (but that is invoked by some particularly ah-ha piece of information I need to think about and integrate into my world-view). I have never, ever finished reading something you wrote and thought, Wow that was long! I usually think, Wow, talk about valuable information-dense! Keep it up and thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, I am off to finish ITIS. I was fascinated by the first documents. But life got in the way of my finishing the series (until now).
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 17:26

BF:

Thanks, everyone. Makes me very happy to know people appreciate the blog.

Brandy -- glad you found me! Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. I can't promise I'll have the answers, but I can try.

-Amy
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 22:58

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Awwww! Thanks!! If I don't see those danged scales start dropping in a month or so, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions! Lol! This body needs to repair and start losing some serious fat! 😁
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-15, 12:43

Continuation of Amy's new series on Weight Loss, titled Why Am I Not Losing Weight on LCHF? (Pt.1)

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/1...g-weight-1.html

Quote:
Aaaaand, we’re back!

Based on the number of page views my post called “The Truth About Weight Loss” has gotten, people are far more interested in reading about losing weight than they are in cancer or the disastrous consequences associated with chronically elevated insulin. And, based on the comments that post garnered, right here on the blog as well as on various LCHF sites, this post and the next few in this mini-series are among the most hotly anticipated posts I’ve ever written. (Except for the next cancer post. I know, I know…I keep promising to get back to those, but then I get sidetracked by other equally fascinating things.)

With that in mind, I’m feelin’ the pressure, everybody. I’ll try not to disappoint, but, the truth is, I don’t have any magical formulas for you. I don’t have the secret to THE ONE THING you’ve never, ever heard of for kick-starting fat loss or breaking a stall. I haven’t discovered the only unsullied superfruit with mystical fat-melting properties, found deep in the Amazon Rain Forest, and known only to me and one indigenous tribe untouched by Western civilization. (But if I ever do stumble upon that, it’ll be available through my website for just $39.99, and you’ll have to order it by clicking on the obnoxious pop-up window that flashes in your face immediately upon the site loading. [Don’t’cha just love those?] It’ll also be available for purchase through an affiliate link in the sidebar of every single other LCHF, Paleo, Primal, and real food site you frequent. [This is the part where you express silent thanks for how terrible I am at marketing. ])

Okay, let’s get down to business:

First, allow me to say that this little series will cover several possible answers to the “why am I not losing weight” question. There’s a good chance not all of them will apply to you. Maye none of them will. I suspect, though, for most of you, some will apply, while others won’t. So if you find yourself reading some of these ideas, and getting angry because you’re already doing that (or have already tried that a million times), then I’m not talking to you. I’m talking to the people who haven’t already tried it. Today’s post, in particular, might anger some of you. I’ve got to cover some of the obvious, "no shoot, Sherlock," stuff, because, honestly, to some people out there, it’s not so obvious. So just stay with me. We're getting the simple stuff out of the way first. If nothing resonates with you today, sit tight. At some point, in one of these posts, maybe I’ll hit upon something that does speak to you. So, along that line, please, don’t throw tomatoes at me for what I say today. There’s no need to leave rude comments about what a special and unique snowflake you are, and how it doesn’t apply to your situation. If it doesn’t apply, it doesn’t apply. No sweat. Wait around until something does.

Since that was probably harsher than my usually more empathetic tone, let me get back to myself for a second. If you are struggling with fat loss, I am with you. I know how it feels. When you’ve already cut back on carbs, and you’ve already nixed corn and soy oils from your diet, and you’re already exercising more, getting good sleep, and carving out time in your life for relaxation, and yet, the weight refuses to budge.

The stigma, and cruel, knee-jerk stereotypes hurled at overweight people make fighting your body difficult enough. But when you’ve already adopted the dietary and lifestyle practices that “should” bring your weight down, yet you’re the same size as when you started, or you haven’t lost as much as all those ridiculous online graphs and charts say you should, feeling like a “fat loss failure” can be downright demoralizing. When you hit the gym faithfully, when you pack a homemade lunch to bring to work every day, and when you bring nuts and string cheese to the movies and walk right past the popcorn and gummy bears, but the weight still doesn’t move, it’s enough to make you throw in the towel.

But DON’T. Don’t give up. Don’t give up on the process, and above all, don’t give up on yourself.
And it continues.....
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-15, 18:09

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

She is a crack-up. She must drink a pot of coffee before writing! I really appreciate that she points out that a low carb diet is (first and foremost!) a healthy diet. You're not wasting time, or treading water if you are not losing--your body is improving every day, though you may not see it.

I really want to get that book Natural Hormonal Enhancement, but the cost for a used version starts at $26. Dang.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 07:44

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Great post. Boy have I tried so many of those things over long years of stalling ~ more carbs, fewer carbs, more fat, less fat, more protein, less protein, more exercise, less exercise, more calories, fewer calories, no dairy, no seed oils. I'm sure we all know the drill. Yeah too bad the Natural Hormone Replacement book is so expensive. And does anyone know anything about that AltShift program? The link just goes to a site that looks like one of those classic cheesy infomercial sites. "Just send me $25 and all your prayers will be answered!"
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 07:10

You can likely get most of the program just by listening to their Podcast. The link to it is at the very bottom of the AltShift page Amy linked.
I use to listen to that podcast but it was more focused on exercise and lost interest. I may go through the subject listings and find the ones related to diet when it was introduced.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 10:47

BF:

You can check out the AltShift results on their Facebook page. (It's a closed group; you have to request to join, but I see no reason why they would turn anyone away.) I haven't read the book yet, myself, but there are "real people" getting very nice results with that program -- including lots of peri- and post-menopausal women. Jason Seib is one of the few people out there who recognizes how difficult it is for some women to lose fat on the standard "out of the box" type low-carb or Paleo diets. (Including his own wife. She had struggled for years, and is now down quite a bit of weight.)

And yes, they do have a podcast, so you can hear a little bit of what the program is about. It could take some "re-programming," though -- it is a carb-cycling method, so there are days in which you follow LCHF, and days in which you consume more starch and lower fat. (Not a ton of starch, but some.)

As for Natural Hormonal Enhancement, I think it might be out of print now, which is why it's pricey. Honestly, I'd say it's worth it, but you have to do what you're comfortable with, financially.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-15, 05:16

Thanks for that info, Amy and your new post on weight loss. Interesting. I have thought about testing nutrient levels, but for the most part the tests are obscure, have to find a trust-worthy alternative doctor, or expensive, etc.

Part 2, Nutrient Deficiencies:

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/1...g-weight-2.html
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-15, 06:41