Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Fri, May-06-16, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/160/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 36%

I keep my carbs under 50 most days. At 5"0 I can live with 125 If I ever get there but I should really weigh less.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Fri, May-06-16, 14:31

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

That may be part of it, then. 50 carbs is fairly high for diabetes control. 50 carbs, all at once? REALLY high for diabetes control.

I agree with the suggestions to read/listen to Dr. Bernstein. At his age, as a T1D, he certainly needs credit for knowing what he's talking about!
  #198   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 17:37

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would stop in and post here. I am one of the people following Dr. Fung's fasting techniques. I had a lot of success years ago doing low carb (like most of us) but keeping the weight off was difficult and it came back on.

I am pre-diabetic and this has saved my life. I started on 20/4 and now I have moved to 48 hour fasts with 1 meal. I only eat healthy protein dense foods. I am losing around 9lbs of fat per week. My goal is to lose 350 pounds total. I am listening to my body but I feel amazing and literally am a fat melting machine.

I can't wait for Dr. Fung's new book to come out which focuses more on fasting.

Anyways, nice to meet you all. Take care. Adam.
  #199   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 17:49
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Adam, are you just following his protocol like the rest of us here, or are you a patient? (I noticed that you're in Canada.) Welcome and we salute you and will support your efforts any way that we can.

There are many here on this forum with lots of scientific knowledge and they share it with the rest of us.
  #200   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 18:03

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I join Glenda in welcoming your Adam!
  #201   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 18:04

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Adam, are you just following his protocol like the rest of us here, or are you a patient? (I noticed that you're in Canada.) Welcome and we salute you and will support your efforts any way that we can.

There are many here on this forum with lots of scientific knowledge and they share it with the rest of us.

Hi Glenda,

I wish I was in Dr. Fung's actual program. Unfortunately I am on the other side of the country in Vancouver and he is in Scarborough

That being said, Dr. Fung's book, website and youtube videos are so informative that I have had great success using his information while also working with my own doctor who is very receptive to this type of thing. I even bought an extra copy of The Obesity Code and gave it to my doctor and he read it. He is blown away by the progress I am making.

This entire turn of events for me is astonishing. I have been addicted to food my whole life, but the last 5 years in particular my addiction got worse to the point where I would choose food over virtually anything. It became almost like a drug. I would wake up in the morning starving (never used to) and do late night fast food runs. You don't get to my weight without really trying hard. Now suddenly, not only am I in control of my weight but it is also very easy for me to follow. It's as if my insulin levels are dropping and that is causing me to actually not want food

And hello Thud!
  #202   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 18:23

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Adam,

So glad to have you join us. This forum is a very supportive place. It is great that your doctor supports you as well. You are definitely headed in the right direction.

Jean
  #203   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 20:09

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Welcome, Adam!

As Glenda said, we're big on support, here, and glad to have you.

Your talk of sudden control over appetite is familiar to nearly all of us, no matter what weight our addiction to carbs had brought us to.
  #204   ^
Old Sun, May-08-16, 04:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Adam, so glad that you returned to this forum and found this thread about Dr Fung. You are doing great already but let us know how we can help you. His website is full of most information you need, but a bit overwhelming now.

Note that his office does offer a "Distance Program" covered by HST and the Join Page has information for doctors to manage it (basics of program, all required blood work, etc)
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/join/

And in the Post #1 summary of book and previous thread, there is a WebArchive of his Patient Materials from 2 years ago...very useful when starting:
https://web.archive.org/web/2014090...ient-resources/

Although in the book he only gives very general Food Guidelines, on the DietDoctor website he recommends eating very low carb for the meals you do eat. The combination is most powerful. Highly recommend that you join DietDoctor membership website (first month free) so you can see all of Dr Fung's fasting and Dr Westman's LC videos and clinic diet. Also the membership gives you access to hundreds of Questions Dr Fung has answered about fasting...probably more than he will ever be able to fit into the next book.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, May-09-16 at 04:07.
  #205   ^
Old Sun, May-08-16, 05:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi Adam. Love the user name. I think that developing an actual distaste for most carbs and a preference for on plan foods has made things much easier for me.
  #206   ^
Old Sun, May-08-16, 08:34
Doing My Best

Quote:
In the first evidence of a natural intervention triggering stem cell-based regeneration of an organ or system, a study in the June 5 issue of the Cell Stem Cell shows that cycles of prolonged fasting not only protect against immune system damage — a major side effect of chemotherapy — but also induce immune system regeneration, shifting stem cells from a dormant state to a state of self-renewal.
This article is from the USC News, June 4, 2014:Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system
  #207   ^
Old Sun, May-08-16, 09:00

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have been doing 24 hour IF for a few weeks now. Well, technically 23 hour fasting 1 hour eating window. The first 3-4 days were really hard as I wanted to eat. I don't know if I was hungry or just used to eating. Now I can easily make it from supper to supper without any feeling of hunger or cravings. And this is saying a lot since I still have to cook all the meals for my kids.

I am losing about 2.5-3 pounds per week, which might slow down, or maybe it won't but I am also feeling more energetic and mentally more alert. I honestly thought I would be the opposite. Just goes to show you how little I knew.

One other great point, it that I am thinking so little about my food, that it is sort of freeing. During my hour of eating, I eat whatever low carb food I have on hand, as much as I want and than at the end of the hour I stop. I always finish my hour with a 1/4 cup of almonds because I love almonds and it is my special "dessert".

IF is working wonders for me. On March 16, I was 243 pounds and today I am 225. Dr Fung is my hero!
  #208   ^
Old Sun, May-08-16, 09:08
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz1269
IF is working wonders for me. On March 16, I was 243 pounds and today I am 225. Dr Fung is my hero!
He's changing lives for the better. What's not to like. And you. You're going great!
  #209   ^
Old Sun, May-08-16, 09:53

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckycarbo
I started on 20/4 and now I have moved to 48 hour fasts with 1 meal. I only eat healthy protein dense foods. I am losing around 9lbs of fat per week. My goal is to lose 350 pounds total.

How many calories are you getting in that 4-hour window? With your current bf% I get that you have a decent "onboard pantry" and if you are feeling good, then that is great, but I'd look at not going with too steep a deficit from your TDEE.
  #210   ^
Old Mon, May-09-16, 04:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkor
How many calories are you getting in that 4-hour window? With your current bf% I get that you have a decent "onboard pantry" and if you are feeling good, then that is great, but I'd look at not going with too steep a deficit from your TDEE.

A valid point for many on this thread, but I wonder in Adam's situation if Dr Fung would agree. We were all shocked by the patient in one of his early videos who started the program with a three week fast, something he allowed with close monitoring in that special case.

Adam, though it says the Distance Program has a 1-2 month waiting list, I would not hesitate for you or your doctor to phone his office and explain your goal and interest in fasting. Doctors like challenges and the chance to add unique case studies to their publication list. You would have some support and accountability, and your doctor would probably want the guidance on what should be tested for with continuously repeated or longer fasts. **If you do not have the fasting insulin and c-peptide tests and basic blood work from before you started fasting, have your doctor do the required tests soonest**
Nothing ventured...5 minute phone call to ask for their help.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, May-09-16 at 04:13.