Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Diet plans put through the paces"

Diet plans put through the paces

Low-carb Atkins plan controversial, but effective in cutting out cravings

Jenny Lee
CanWest News Service

link to article

VANCOUVER -- "I've tried other things. (Atkins) is the only thing that has me not craving food all the time," Suzanne Darnell says. "I've actually turned into one of those women who forgets to eat lunch sometimes. It's shocking."

"Food used to be a major focus in my life. I used to graze throughout the day and in the evening, I used to eat right before bed. I just don't have the desire to do that any more."

Darnell has followed the Atkins plan loosely. She's supposed to exercise and drink lots of water, but hasn't done it, and now and then she will cheat and have some pasta or licorice.

It all started when some friends decided to try the diet, so Darnell tried too.

"What you do is eat as much protein as you want without stuffing yourself. High-quality protein is best, like salmon. You have to have full fat dressing and full fat cream. You wouldn't put milk in your coffee, you'd use cream and you use Splenda, a sugar substitute that doesn't raise your glycemic index."

"Then you eat three cups of vegetables a day. I know I eat more than that. I would be losing more if I ate more meat and less vegetables.

"If you cheat and eat sugar, your heart races and it doesn't feel good because your body isn't used to having sugar any more. If there's a piece of cake, I wouldn't want to eat it because I know I would feel badly. I had two peanut butter cups once. It's like a shortness of breath, almost panicky."

Darnell knows that the diet takes dieters through several stages, but, "I have stayed on the initial stages because I'm just too lazy to learn all of it. It would require some effort.

"I've tried over the last couple of years to lose weight and nothing works because I have to have will power, right? I have to not eat that stuff late at night. This is the first thing that doesn't require that will power because the cravings are gone."

While Darnell has heard the medical establishment's criticisms of the Atkins Diet, she figures she's eating much healthier than before.

"Before, my diet consisted of pasta, bread and candy. None of those things have any health benefits whatsoever. In the long term I see this as an extremely healthy eating plan versus what I used to do

"I haven't had my cholesterol tested. Maybe my cholesterol is crazy right now, but I look better, I feel better, I have more energy, and I'm not constantly eating"

Suzanne Darnell, 35, account executive

Lost: 13 pounds over five weeks on the Atkins diet (Dr. Robert Atkins, developer of this diet, died on April 17 as a result of injuries suffered in a fall.)

Diet: Atkins New Diet Revolution

What: A high protein/virtually no carbohydrate diet that can also be high in fat depending on the protein foods you choose (cheese, bacon, etc.) Initially, you are allowed no more than 20 grams of carbohydrate per day -- the amount in 1.5 slices of bread.

How: The diet puts your body into ketosis, a metabolic state that occurs when the body burns fat in the absence of carbohydrates.

What you can or cannot eat: You can eat all the protein and fat you want, but no carbohydrates. This means no starchy foods (bread, cereal, grains, crackers, pasta, etc.), no fruit, no dairy products, no sweet vegetables, no sugar and sweets.

Details: Phase 1 is a strict "Induction" period. Your meals are combinations of protein and fat with virtually no carbohydrates. A typical meal might be steak, spinach, a mixed green salad and parmesan cheese.

In Phase 2 or "Ongoing Weight Loss," protein and fat remain your mainstays, but you add five grams of carbohydrates a week until you have five to 10 pounds left to lose.

In "Pre Maintenance" you increase your carbohydrates by 10 grams per week. If you gain weight, you must drop back to the next lowest level of carbohydrate intake.

"Lifetime Maintenance" involves staying at the level of carbohydrate you have learned will allow you to maintain your weight.

Atkins recommends regular exercise, eight eight-ounce glasses of water daily and a daily multivitamin/mineral supplement such as one from his own product line, Atkins Nutritionals.

The Web site is at atkinscenter.com

Pros: No measuring or calorie counting required. You eat more vegetables. Atkins has updated some of his nutrition advice to recommend healthy fats and oils. He advises against using hydrogenated margarines full of trans fat.

Exercise is recommended.

Cons: Risk of dehydration caused by ketosis, a powerful diuretic which causes you to lose important minerals and electrolytes including potassium, says Toronto registered dietician and author Leslie Beck. Long-term ketosis may increase the risk of heart disease by increasing the production of harmful free radicals that damage (oxidize) LDL cholesterol, making it more likely to stick to and permeate artery walls, she adds.

Risk of high blood cholesterol if you choose high fat proteins.

"We see people walking around eating cheese, bacon and eggs, salami and Atkins certainly doesn't promote that any more," Beck says.

The diet lacks vitamin C, calcium, vitamin D and folic acid and can be an issue if you remain on the induction period long term, Beck says. It's important to choose nutrient-rich vegetables.

Risk of constipation due to lack of fibre since there are no grains and no fruit, Beck says.

It may be difficult to exercise while on the diet as you lack glycogen (carbohydrate) stores in your muscles, Beck says. Carbohydrates are the fuel muscles burn for all forms of exercise.

Beck warns that the diet may be dangerous for people on medications for blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes and is unsafe for people with kidney disease.

Contrary to Atkins' advice, many people follow only the "induction" phase as a short-term diet, Beck says.

"They lose weight, feel better and do not gradually reintroduce carbs. Atkins said this is the wrong way to do the diet. He said it should not be used as a short term, crash diet. People who see it as a quick way to lose weight will not change their eating habits over the long term."

Many dieters fall off the plan in Phase 2, Beck warns. It is very easy to regain weight quickly after following very low carbohydrate diets, she says.

No studies have been published on this diet's long-term success. "One six-month study did find that people lost a significant amount of weight on this regime - but what about 12 months later? Two years later? Do people actually keep the weight off? This remains to be seen," Beck says.

(Vancouver Sun)

© Copyright 2003 The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon)
Sponsored Links