Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 22:23
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Carlsons Plus Dual Tabs - too much vit. A?

A question for any veteran who wants to tackle it. I've just started taking a tablespoon of Carlson's Cod Liver oil a day and am also taking the TwinLab Dual Tab multi vitamin/mineral tablets that the Eades suggest, and I've noticed that the two together add up to a daily dose of 12,500 IU of Vitamin A - far above the RDA. I will finish the Dual Tabs in a little less than a month, at which time I'm going to look for a multi with less vitamin A, but in the mean time is this likely to be a problem? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

--Ruth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Because I don't know enough about the products you're taking, are any of those IUs in the form of carotenoids? (like beta carotene) Dr. Atkins, in the book Dr. Atkins' Age-Defying Diet Revolution, recommends up to 50,000 IU of beta-carotene daily. He also states that vitamin A is good for treating illnesses and can be taken in that large a dose (probably not doubled with the beta-carotene, though).

He says it's difficult to overdose on beta-carotene, but doesn't mention vitamin A. Cancer researchers recommend 70,000 IU of beta-carotene daily to prevent cancer.

5000 IU is 100% of the daily value of vitamin A as acetate.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:57
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks Freydis -

The DualTabs contain 7500 IU of "pro Vitamin A" from beta carotene, and a further 5000 IU of Vitamin A from retinyl palmitate. The Carlsons supplies another 6000 to 7500 IU of plain old Vitamin A. I know I don't have to worry about the beta carotene, and I think the rest is probably OK, but I'll probably look to change my multivitamin after these run out.

Thanks again for the help.

--Ruth