Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/187/172 Female 67"
BF:30%
Progress: 6%
Question counting calories

I am new to PP and have been trying to loose with Atkins. I am down to the last 8 pounds and can't get the scales to budge since July. I am thinking of starting PP after the new year.

I have the pp books and just was wondering if I could reduce my fat intake and calories and start loosing these last few lbs.?

Has anyone found it hard to count the Protein for meals especially when eating out?

I am getting to the point of starting to choose a maintence program and so would like any input from folks who have been on PP maint. and how they like it and why.

Thank you for any help.

Sherrill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 15:53

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

There is a group of us who post in this forum daily -- we're the Protein Power Pals. Several of us have noticed improvements in weight loss when we drop the fat a bit from the Atkins' levels. The Protein Power plan is a moderate-fat/higher-protein/low-carb plan. Instead of the 65% - 70% fat of Atkins, on PP we typically eat more like 50% fat or less. Each person is different.

As for eating out, I don't do it that often, so I don't worry too much. We eat out maybe once a month or even less. Anyway, you kind of get to know what 4 ounces of meat looks like.

Come on over and join in. We welcome everyone, and we try to work with each person to determine what's best for that particular person. We don't spout any hard-and-fast rules. It's good to read the PP books, which you said you have (but have you read them yet), because they give you the reasons WHY this way of eating works.

Hope this helped!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 07:11

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Bawdy gave you some good suggestions

I have been on PP for about 6 weeks now, and have been steadily losing. I have a lot of weight to lose, however. One thing that the book does mention is that when you get closer to your goal weight, you may have to cut calories a bit. Personally, my calories are about 1900-2200 a day, and my fat is closer to Atkins level. But, for my size (246 lbs) that seems to work - for now. I am sure once I get closer to my goal of 140, I will be dropping the fat and calories too.

I do eat out a lot. In general, the palm of your hand is about 3 oz of protein, which is 20 gms or so. I learned protein grams when I was doing body for life and body rx, where you kept track of protein. Just be careful when eating out.....all kinds of potential for hidden carbs!!

Read the book.....It is a great program!!

Robin
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/187/172 Female 67"
BF:30%
Progress: 6%

Thank you Bawdy and Robin: I had will join you and I do think i will try eating more like PP than Atkins. I must have missed the part about cutting fat and calories at the end. But I am 52 and going through the pause and I can't remember sh-t!!! Excuse my french.

Since my husband and I are newlly retired we will probably be eating out more often. I have my fav. things to order and make sure I take home doggie bags.

Check in with you all later.

Thanks again.
Sherrill