Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default considering a switch to PP from Atkins- HELP

Ok, I have the book. I am reading it. I understand that the starting carb count is significantly higher than Atkins induction phase. I am stuck in induction! I feel like I have painted myself into a corner. I have stalled, with no inches or lbs lost in a month, yet I am afraid to add carbs even though I probably should. Atkins says to add 5g carbs daily per week, but when I tried to do it all I ever added was a bigger serving of this, a little more of that, or something extra with breakfast. It never amounted to enough anyway. And I like the fact that PP allows more food variety. So, I guess my worry is that if I add carbs, starting at the lowest recommended for PP (that's around 30g right?) that i will gain weight. Because when I started on Atkins I actually was eating 30g a day and not losing anything. I had to get down to 12g to 15g to see results. I don't know what's right for me, but I do know that LC'ing is what I will have to do for life because I m hypoglycemic. I just need help finding the right plan. Any comments or suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 21:31

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

my only thoughts would be to give one plan a decent try before switching.

that said, you do have to find a plan you can live with and sustain...just if you *do* switch and enjoy the food better then do stick with it for a while. from what i've read of others switching it takes the body a little time to adjust.

good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 06:23

Plan: protein power plan
Stats: 386/342/145 Female 5f 7in
BF:Way/to/fat
Progress: 18%

Hey Blue Aprilellen here Logan is right but if you really think you need to change go ahead it is what you feel comfortable with not any body else I love pp It worked for me the first time I was on it lost 120 lbs but then I got pregnant then went through severe depression and ate myself back to what I was before but now I see a therapist 2 times a week and they put me on some anti depressants and I am feeling much better so I am doing pp again and feel so much better no more pain no more headaches and lots of energy I am a pp toter and proud of it my girlfriend found out that she was diabetic a few months ago and I talked her into the pp plan and now her blood sugar stays within normal ranges no pills needed with all of that to look at if you want to try it go for it feel comfortable that is my recipe for success and I hope someday I can be off my anti deppressants but I have a long way to go I know this....April
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:13

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

all i can say is to stick one plan out long enough to know if it is working or now. 1 month stall may not be that abnormal. especially since you are so close to your goal weight.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Well I did step on the scale to find myself one lb lighter than yesterday...and this amounts to a 2.5 lb loss in three days. I have been losing these 3 lbs though, for a month. They come and go. I did my body calculations for PP last night and found that I should weigh between 143 and 154. So I am close.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: under development
Stats: 278/???/160 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Whether you stick to Atkins or switch to PP, you might try changing the kinds of things you eat--if you have the "Life Plan" version of PP, look into the stricter versions... Dilitante and .. I forget the name but the more paleo version--switching to more basic, natural foods (i.e., no grains, dairy, processed stuff), can make a difference.

Also, make sure you're getting adequate protein and water--maybe try eliminating any artificial sweetners... caffeine can do weird things to some people.

And another completely wacko idea might be to "cycle" a little and see if that breaks things up--nothing major, mind you, but say increase your carbs to eat more veggies and some berries for a couple of days and then go back to your current levels (upping to include grains or legumes would probably be a mistake, though).

Just some thoughts. Personally, I prefer PP myself--a cheaper version of the more purist approach, actually (cheaper in that I can't afford free range meats and all organic veggies and such! but the general idea of what our bodies are more designed to eat being more... compatible?).

ymmv... heck, my mileage varies depending on city versus highway
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:42
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

It occurs to me that maybe your body really likes your current weight. Just because you would like to lose 10 more pounds doesn't necessarily mean your body needs to. You look quite thin and beautiful in your picture already (I whistled when I saw it ). I have learned that sometimes what you think is the last 10 pounds just will not come off. Just my opinion, though.