Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 05:28
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Smile Checking in with fellow PP'ers

Just thought I'd see how everyone's week has gone so far. Maybe we can all report in ever week or so, to keep our morale up.

My week: Sunday through Wednesday were a model of temperance, but Thursday--not! Went overboard, in the sheer quantity department--no "illegal" foods, but too much of everything. Is anyone else finding that hunger is increasing? The first month was fine, but now---portion control is a problem.

On the exercise front, did moderately well. Added a very light weight lifting routine and calisthenics to the brisk walking that I usually do. Ouch. Urgent request to the rest of you: I need new walking music! Radiohead CD's are wearing out due to overuse!

Another request: Does anyone have breakfast recommendations?

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from everyone else.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:20

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Hi RoseTattoo !

Sounds like overall you had a good week! I know what you mean about Thursday, though! That's what happened to me last Saturday and I vow to not let it happen again! But you see what happened and recognized it - you'll be able to fix it in no time .

My week has been good - and I'm vowing to keep it that way, even tomorrow (my normal downfall day) ! Got my usual 5 days of exercise in and will do the mowing tonight and rest of the yard work tomorrow. Only mishap was getting a new scale which puts me at a higher weight than the old one . I'm pretty sure the new one is more accurate, but... Suppose I'm going to have to correct my numbers here and even though I haven't gained, it's going to look that way . Jeez...

Can't help with the music recommendation - have you tried Collage Video? I think they have some selections in that.

Did you get the low-carb cookbook the Eadeses put out this year? I think there's quite a few things in it for breakfast. What would you LIKE to have for breakfast? If you can answer that, I'm sure there's a low-carb version to be found for it

Have a great low-carb weekend !

Last edited by Shadow01 : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 09:24.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Another request: Does anyone have breakfast recommendations?

My usual is a can of tuna with tomato, avocado, olive oil and lemon juice.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:03
Kid R

Thanks, Karen, for the tuna idea. Coincidently, I did something similar today: a green salad with some grilled chicken on top, and a bit of marinated tomato and blue cheese. However, as usual, I ate this breakfast in the car while on my morning dash, and it isn't exactly the neatest thing in the world. I need a body bib--all of my t-shirts are decorated with the same geometrically precise splatter pattern.

And hiya, Shadow! Thanks for the tip about the Eades cookbook--I need to order that from Amazon. As for what I really crave for breakfast--somehow I don't think there'll be a lc substitute (I used to eat the most wonderful ciabatta bread). S'ok, I'll adapt.

Shadow, your new scale isn't necessarily more accurate than your old scale, is it? I had an insurance physical the other day, and the scale the nurse brought was five pounds heavier than my brand new digital scale, so...???? It's so hard to find a home-use scale that is precise, anyway.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:32

BF:

Hey there, RoseTattoo ! I know that when it comes to scales it's just a matter of what one you're using at the time - definite proof they're not good meters at all to portray where a person is at health-wise! Besides, I AM more than that number - I still look the same, act the same and feel the same - regardless of the difference in that number showing on a piece of metal. And I'm still far healthier (and for that matter, much lighter) than I've been most of my life - so I'm still ahead in the game ! Actually, I didn't weigh for years and a friend talked me into it - dumbest thing I've done in a long time (including PNB binges )! One of my next goals is ditching the habit...

Your salad and Karen's tuna (sans the avocado - bleck) sound good - but that's my typical lunch and supper. I've experimented w/ the muffins in the Eadeses book (upping the fiber, lowering the carbs) and they would probably work better for a mobile breakfast than a salad would . There's also a crepe recipe you could put your tuna or chicken in that would probably be more manageable, too. Just an FYI - I did get a low-carb cookbook by a guy named Haas (I think that's it) - my only suggestion is don't go there. Not worth it....

Have a great weekend - and happy low-carbing !
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 19:03

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Well hello all... My week was okay I didn't go off plan... I did start to exercise and got in 3 good days...2 walks and one step aerobic... I immediatley noticed a difference after the step aerobic...inches..

I'm gong to try to do 2 days exercise, 1 off...until my body gets used to it...with extra walking when I feel up to it.. My 14's are still too tight and I will be happy to see them loosen up... Speaking of scales...Wednesday it read 196, today 199 ugh, but it is an electronic one and it wasn't level so I'm certain that 196 reading was incorrect... I guess I'll just have to use my old one or make sure it's on a flat surface.. I'm disappointed because I thought I did well but I'm thinking that it is perhaps my body adjusting to PP versus Atkins..and 197 was my Pre-PP weight...oh well.. I do enjoy the fruit and feel better so I'll work harder...

I am certain next week will be better..especially if I can get all my water in.. Have noticed lately though that when I drink tea alone with Splenda I get headaches...interesting... I feel like I've been in a stall for 2 weeks...but hopefully I can break it this week...

Good weekend all..

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 19:07.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 00:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
However, as usual, I ate this breakfast in the car while on my morning dash

It does sound like you need something neater! I usually pack cucumber/celery/cherry tomatoes and some pieces of boneless chicken or other sliced meats when I'm on the go. It prevents the Jackson Pollack "effect on the clothing.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 07:06
Kid R

Greetings, skeeweeaka! Scales are finicky things. Mine is new, but even so, there's fluctuation that isn't due to my weight (differences like 7 pounds overnight!). I think some of it is a result of the humidity--even though it's in a closet, the difference in weather does affect it. I belong to a gym, and it has a more heavy-duty scale, so I may use that from now on. How about weighing yourself where you do your step aerobics, if that's at a gym? Usually their scales are more reliable.

And Karen, thanks for that tip. Yes, I do need more portable food.

Shadow, I'm just about to get the Eades Lifeplan book, so hopefully I can make some of those rolls and/or crepes. The trick will be not to eat the entire recipe at once.

Have a wonderful Saturday, everyone.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 15:19

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hey Rose...today is a good day....feeling like I have more energy... Hope your day goes well too..
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 15:51

BF:

RoseTattoo: I think you may want to get the Low-Carb Comfort Food Cookbook instead of PP LifePlan ! Not that PPLP isn't good - it is and is the first book of theirs I read. But...it's doesn't have the recipes for crepes and muffins .

skeeweeaka: Glad to hear you're doing better . Congratulations getting started on exercise!!! Once it becomes a habit, you may be amazed how good it makes you feel ! As for the scales, just keep in mind that they're only one measure of what your progress has been - and most likely the least accurate. I'll admit I pay more attention to mine than I should and that's really not a good habit to have .
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 16:52
Kid R

Shadow, thanks for the correction. The bookstores around here don't carry either book (and for some reason, the public library doesn't, either), so I haven't been able to take a look at them. Now I know which one to order from Amazon.

And skee, glad you had a good day today. I read on another post that you have a 7 year old--so do I! They have boundless energy, don't they? It's hard to keep up.

I tried an experiment today by eating a hamburger (minus roll, of course) for lunch. Usually I avoid red meats, because of the AA and even more because I don't tend to like them, but I've been having a problem with excess hunger lately, and was wondering whether it would help. And it did--ate a 4 ounce, very lean, patty, and wasn't hungry again until dinner. So I have a question for you, Shadow, as my PP guru. The Eades talk about marinating steaks in wine and olive oil overnight as a way of reducing some of the AA and replacing it with monounsaturated fats. Do you think this would work with ground meat--let's say, pre-formed patties, so the surface area would be large enough? Or would it completely ruin the texture? Also, what about pork (cutlets, chops)? That's not considered a red meat, is it? Does pork have a lot of AA, and would it call for the same kind of marinating?

Of course what I really want to eat is my garage peanut butter. But I just snuck out there for a bite and it looks as if DH has gotten into my stash.

Thanks for your help!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:21

BF:

Hello, RoseTattoo . What a challenging question! IMHO, since hamburger is simply beef that has been ground, the same technique should work to reduce AA and increase monos. If it is a pre-formed frozen patty, all should be well. I would imagine it would be more of a challenge with fresh ground beef - I don't think that would stay together in the marinade. Hmm... never had a marinated hamburger before! I don't think it would affect the texture - but I would make sure to just experiment with one to begin with. AFAIK, chops and cutlets are not a red meat but I certainly don't think the marinade would hurt the chops at all. I've never had pork cutlets so I'm no help there .

Maybe one day we should compose an ode to PNB...

Hopefully Karen will check in here again and give you some answers. She is far more experienced in these matters than I am .

Have a wonderful low-carb day, everyone .
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 14:55
Kid R

Thanks for your reply, Shadow. Next time I buy ground meat, I will try that approach. Curious to see whether it will make the meat more digestible--it certainly filled me up, but not the best of feelings a few hours later. What should we born nuttatarians do???? (I know, I know, the peanut isn't a nut. But it has every right to be!).

Hope your weekends have gone well, everyone.