Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-00, 07:49

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question

I purchased the Atkins Diet starter pack 4 weeks ago and boy has it worked....almost a stone so far. My wife has joined as well at she is more than happy.

Our only problem is finding the support and products in the UK. I can't find either a UK version of this website or a decent low carb product store. All the details in the starter pack are very US and we don't have a lot of the products over here. Im the head chief and owner of a hotel and I am really hoping to include some low carb recipes in our menus.

Any help or links would be very gratefully received....oh and this website is great cant wait to try out some of the recipes when I find the products.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-00, 08:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

hi dave
nice to meet someone from across the pond. in canada we have a similar problem of not being to find all the products that are available in the u.s. the dollar exchange here is really bad, then we're hit with duty, taxes and brokerage fees. it really makes everything way too expensive for most of us.
there are tons of locarb websites with recipes. try http://www.trulylowcarb.com. karen, the owner of the site, has a post of locarb recipe site links in on her food board. check it out. i've downloaded so many recipes off the web. i've started a file of my own.
way to go on your weight loss, but what is a stone? i've never known how much a stone is compared to a pound (bodymass, not sterling, lol!)
debbie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-00, 08:39

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Debbie

Thanks for the tips i will check out the website...btw is whey protein really the body building stuff? Seems a strange one to me.

1 stone = 14 pounds

David
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-00, 11:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by DiscoDave
I can't find either a UK version of this website or a decent low carb product store.

Hi Dave, welcome aboard. If you find stores in the UK that sell any low-carb products, just let me know and I'll create a UK page to start listing those stores. We'll soon have a search engine that lists all user entries and allow searches based on country, city etc.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-00, 12:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi David,

While it can be frustrating not being able to find low-carb products, they are not necessary to be successful with a low-carb way of eating.

Was Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution included in the package? The recipes may be gakky, but it has the all guidelines you need for eating low-carb. As a chef, you have an advantage over most of the population. You know how to cook creatively and probably know how to cook some dishes from other cultures. Once you know the basic principles and carb counts on food items, the sky’s the limit!

Arm yourself with information. It’s the best investment you can make in taking control of your health. Congratulations on your loss so far!

As a personal aside, I am a professional chef too, and have found this way of eating to be very liberating in getting my sugar addiction under control. I do indulge in a luxurious, creamy dessert once in a while. I like your sig line--I'm always saying the same thing to my staff!

Here are some links…

An all-around great site: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com

Carb counting reference: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

alt.support.diet.low-carb FAQ: http://www.grossweb.com/asdlc/faq.htm

My own recipes on this site: http://www.lowcarber.org/karen.html

Karen

#6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-00, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up "who needs products" ??

While it may seem odd coming from me ("Ms. Co-op Canada"), I'm also a complete Foodie and a wanna Chef from way back... LOL!

Welcome, Dave, and please let me chime in, and in agreement ... with professional cooking skills and some accumulated LC experience, I think you will find that the only products you would need a source for are available from commercial wholesalers and perhaps some few others.

Karen's recipes (on this webpage) are marvellous for the savoury-oriented, and would go delightfully on an hotel menu, without a doubt. Simple desserts such as fresh berries with triple or Devon cream simply can't be beat... I'm sure you will be thinking up others as you progress (and I would LOVE to hear about them!) :grin:

Here's a webpage you might want to peruse (have you seen this one, Karen?); I correspond with Tony upon occasion, and he just *might* be of some assistance and entertainment to you, as well. Say hello for me.
http://www.carb-lite.au.com/ [ the Aussie Gourmet LC Cookbook ]

Best of luck to you, and best of the holiday season, as well.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-00, 11:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Hi, Dave!

Hullo, Dave!

Just out of curiosity, where do you live in England? I spent four years in London (1994-1998) doing my degree. I hadn't discovered low carb then, but one thing I know you guys have there that we don't have here is a WONDERFUL range of dairy products - Greek yogurt, double cream, clotted cream, fromage frais, and all those great, high-quality cheeses we pay so much for on this side of the pond (when we can find them).

I noticed it was also easier (and cheaper) to get organic meats there, and you have a much wider selection of fish easily available. So in some ways, we're actually quite limited here, especially in Canada, where we can't get those low-carb products they have in the States, either.

Yes, whey protein and soy protein isolate ARE the bodybuilding stuff, and it does seem odd to do your weekly shopping in the bodybuilding section of the health food stores!

I know a couple of low-carbers in London, so you're not alone!

Rachel

#8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-01, 05:02

Plan:
Stats: 16/15/12
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Hi Dave - I live in Torpoint, Cornwall and have been low carbing since 1 Jan 2001! I have lost over 1st so far and am determined to lose the further 3st that I have to go.
Like you I find the book/programme very US, but so far I have managed to overcome this by not eating anything out of a jar, tin or packet!
Joyce Palmer
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet Revolution Induction Programme
Stats: 251/233/140
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default low carb shopping

I agree with you Dave. Low-carb shopping in England has been really hard for me until I went to thelowcarbshop.co.uk. You don't even need a credit card! They even sell chocolate (50g bars) that contain 1.63 grams of carb They deliver the next day or 2/3 days later depending on how much you are prepared to pay for delivery.

I have not been on the Atkins for long but I am finding that the more I read and look at recipes on the net the less 'products' I would need to purchase.

Nevertheless I do bulk buy chocolate, pork scratchlings and keto bread.

Hope that you are doing well and that this has helped.

I have just noticed that this is a really old thread so you are probably an expert in all of this already - what a wally I am - but I really wanted my second egg!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 05:13

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

Not a wally Sticki, that's helped me, I didn't know about the site until I read this.

Thanks,

Bez

#11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 05:38

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya

I live in the UK as well. I find it actually easier to follow the diet here, than it would be for most US people. Mainly, because most of our supermarket food has no sugar added.

I don't really belive in Low-carb chocolate and the like (this is like a circle with corners to me), as I think this is a way of eating for life, and I have to change my taste, if I want to succeed. I'd rather have a piece of "real" chocolate, than fake stuff. A lot of people stall on these products as well, but it may be ok for you.

As I can't find Aspartame free sweeteners in the UK either, I have now given up on sweetened deserts, and use the sweetness of fruits instead.

Which Hotel do you work in ? Is it in London ? Can we come round for a meal ?? I'd love to see more Restaurants which include LC meals.

Greetings and good Luck

Sabine

PS.: This pack from Shop America allways intrigued me. What does it actually contain ??