Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1051   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 19:14

Plan: PP/Atkins/IF Maintenance
Stats: 195/138/140 Female 66"
BF:33%/20%
Progress: 104%

Well since I've been asked what I typically eat let me share....

First what I don't eat: sugar of any kind, artificial sweetners of any kind, grains of any kind or form, trans fats, and starches.

What I do eat: lots and lots of meat and eggs, cheese in moderation, berries that are in season (not when available but actually in season) and in very VERY small amounts--more like a condiment as our paleolithic ancestors did, and very low sugar veggies in season (again not when available but in season). When berries and veggies aren't in season I don't eat them.

I disagree with diabetes being caused by inflamation, that is a hypothesis not yet proved. However we do have anthropologist and paleologists who will confirm the hunter-gatherer nature of early man, as well as paleopathologists who confirm the diseases of grains and agriculture as well as good solid medical science that proves what the high carb diet does. Even its supporters have come out and admitted that it raises BS and has been a failure yet they are like a dog with a bone.

Above all for me, my own body proves it!
Sponsored Links
  #1052   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie
I am diabetic and I work in medicine.

And are you on standard treatment? If so hows that working for you? As well as diet alone has worked for me?
  #1053   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
Hahaha, I am 40 and was carded last week. Granted, this place cards up to 30, but still! I had to laugh. And I disagree that fruit is anti-inflammatory. In fact, saying eating LOTS of fruits and vegetables is just not great advice.

If everyone went a few weeks of eating JUST fresh, unprocessed meat and water, then started adding in vegetables to see what they could eat, I bet a lot of people would find great relief from their blood sugar issues. But no doctor or nutritionist would dare suggest that.

Isn't it a great feeling still being carded?

Well actually some docs have reccomended that sort of thing, like Atkins, the Eades, Bernstein etc.... All with amazing results and patients that reverse disease.
  #1054   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
"Work in medicine and diabetic". Just like a fat nutritionist. Or a plumber's home with leaky pipes. Or a mechanic's car with bald tires. Or an accountant with an incorrect tax return. Or a shoemaker with holes in his shoes. I think I don't want to take your advice any time soon.

yea, and I don't want to take Twixs' or Korns advise any time soon either...the diabetes and other horrible things I got rid of would all come back and I would be sick instead of the great health I enjoy. Nahhhh I think I'll keep doing what I have been doing even if they don't think it works, my body tells me very different and I'll believe it over them any second of the day.
  #1055   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 19:28

Quote:
You don't seem to understand diabetes.

Funny I've been thinking the same thing about you and before you tell me that you work in the medical field...so have I (as a nurse, EMT and EKG technician over the years); also keep in mind my BS has been in normal ranges for more than a decade and hasn't gone above it. So just perhaps I actually do know something you just won't accept (and I think that is your greatest problem acceptance v. denial).
  #1056   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 23:40

Plan: Low on food chain
Stats: 200/200/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcrbgirl
And are you on standard treatment? If so hows that working for you? As well as diet alone has worked for me?

What do you mean by "standard treatment"? That's not a medical term.
Do you know what causes diabetes, and how the pancreatic functions affect the body?
  #1057   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 23:44

Plan: Low on food chain
Stats: 200/200/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Funny I've been thinking the same thing about you and before you tell me that you work in the medical field...so have I (as a nurse, EMT and EKG technician over the years); also keep in mind my BS has been in normal ranges for more than a decade and hasn't gone above it. So just perhaps I actually do know something you just won't accept (and I think that is your greatest problem acceptance v. denial).

I have more medical knowledge than a nurse or an EMT.

You seem to want to do "ad hominem" attacks rather than be knowledgeable.
I am done with this forum. There is such a lack of real knowledge and information here, with people just making stuff up and calling it science.
I have never had anyone, ever, work in medicine, talk like you have.

And you call it the "medical field".

You want to fight, go find someone else to fight with. This is a waste of time. I am done with this. Your constant attacks prove you have no real knowledge.

Adios.
  #1058   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 23:52

Quote:
I have more medical knowledge than a nurse or an EMT.

You seem to want to do "ad hominem" attacks rather than be knowledgeable.
I am done with this forum. There is such a lack of real knowledge and information here, with people just making stuff up and calling it science.
I have never had anyone, ever, work in medicine, talk like you have.

And you call it the "medical field".

You want to fight, go find someone else to fight with. This is a waste of time. I am done with this. Your constant attacks prove you have no real knowledge.

Adios.

Looks a bit like a tantrum to me. But okay good bye and good luck with your diabetes, I truly hope that some day you give what can actually reverse it a try, because I would love nothing more than for you to be able to like myself, say "I am cured." I was trying to help you see the light, and if you want to call that an attack then fine I attacked you. But in reality it is perhaps as they say "the truth hurts," but don't forget it is also "the truth will set you free." If you want to call me a liar that is also fine. My body knows the truth, a truth that I can again only hope that yours will someday get to experience. Good luck with the way you are going, I have a strong hunch you need it.
  #1059   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 00:55
Registered Member

Plan: Why Diet & Exercise Fail
Stats: 230/180/180 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

I would like to thank everyone who has participated on this thread. I really appreciate that the forum has given me the opportunity to express my ideas. Many of you have pointed out arguments against my claims that I did not consider. I now have a long list of book improvements that I wish to make, and I would like to again thank you all for your input.

I'm going to be doing additional writing and adding more topics to the book. In particular, I've been going through the studies of various chronic disease and the studies of the different nutrient levels involved. It turns out that in some cases the problem is not only vitamin levels, but amino acid levels, and this is something I have not addressed. I discussed grain germ oil, but the grain germ itself, and not the oil, is one of the huge sources of amino acids we are losing. Meats from animals raised with commercial feeds is also lower in many amino acids.
  #1060   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 02:47

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Well since I've been asked what I typically eat let me share....

First what I don't eat: sugar of any kind, artificial sweetners of any kind, grains of any kind or form, trans fats, and starches.

What I do eat: lots and lots of meat and eggs, cheese in moderation, berries that are in season (not when available but actually in season) and in very VERY small amounts--more like a condiment as our paleolithic ancestors did, and very low sugar veggies in season (again not when available but in season). When berries and veggies aren't in season I don't eat them.

I'm impressed! I'm working my way there but I have a way to go.

One of my problems is that I don't really know if I'll ever get to the point where I can look at a slab of meat and think "yummmmm!" My first go-rounds with low-carbing, I was completely grossed out by eating meat without it being broken into small pieces and hidden in a sauce (as low-carb as possible). This time around I'm not grossed out and am doing much better with it but it's still hard for me to feel like my taste buds have been made happy, even if my body is satisfied. It's kinda like I'm eating medicine, not a good meal. Make sense?

Most of the meat we eat is grass fed/finished so that's good. My husband hunts and fishes so we have elk, deer and various fish as well.

I do like eggs but find that I can only eat so many and then I need a few days off from them or I start getting grossed out with them, too.

I only eat berries once in awhile as a very small treat as I don't have my BG levels down enough yet. They are heading down that way as, I suppose, my body heals, but I'm got a way to go.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to just eat what is in season because I haven't learned to like enough variety of vegetables yet. But that's a great goal.

Anyway, just wanted to give you kudos but I also have a question....do you eat any cheese? Dressings on your vegetables? I love Roquefort/Bleu Cheese dressing and can't imagine a salad without it. Butter?

Thanks for any tips you can share.
  #1061   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 08:21

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkorn
I would like to thank everyone who has participated on this thread. I really appreciate that the forum has given me the opportunity to express my ideas. Many of you have pointed out arguments against my claims that I did not consider. I now have a long list of book improvements that I wish to make, and I would like to again thank you all for your input.

I'm going to be doing additional writing and adding more topics to the book. In particular, I've been going through the studies of various chronic disease and the studies of the different nutrient levels involved. It turns out that in some cases the problem is not only vitamin levels, but amino acid levels, and this is something I have not addressed. I discussed grain germ oil, but the grain germ itself, and not the oil, is one of the huge sources of amino acids we are losing. Meats from animals raised with commercial feeds is also lower in many amino acids.

Thank you Daniel for your time. I like having new things to try, it's the only way to improve anything.

Patrick
  #1062   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycampe
I'm impressed! I'm working my way there but I have a way to go.

One of my problems is that I don't really know if I'll ever get to the point where I can look at a slab of meat and think "yummmmm!" My first go-rounds with low-carbing, I was completely grossed out by eating meat without it being broken into small pieces and hidden in a sauce (as low-carb as possible). This time around I'm not grossed out and am doing much better with it but it's still hard for me to feel like my taste buds have been made happy, even if my body is satisfied. It's kinda like I'm eating medicine, not a good meal. Make sense?

Most of the meat we eat is grass fed/finished so that's good. My husband hunts and fishes so we have elk, deer and various fish as well.

I do like eggs but find that I can only eat so many and then I need a few days off from them or I start getting grossed out with them, too.

I only eat berries once in awhile as a very small treat as I don't have my BG levels down enough yet. They are heading down that way as, I suppose, my body heals, but I'm got a way to go.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to just eat what is in season because I haven't learned to like enough variety of vegetables yet. But that's a great goal.

Anyway, just wanted to give you kudos but I also have a question....do you eat any cheese? Dressings on your vegetables? I love Roquefort/Bleu Cheese dressing and can't imagine a salad without it. Butter?

Thanks for any tips you can share.

As for salad dressings I make my own, as pretty much they all have soybean oil in them. Approximately 70% of all soybean oil used is partially hydrogenated (trans fatty acid) and the FDA doesn't even make them state that in the ingredients list. Yes I do love bleu chees and Roquefort! I often just use light olive oil and garlic at times as well.

As for your problems with meat, Protein Power has a LC, adequate protein and fat vegetarian program and you could use some of that for when you aren't eating meat. I would highly recommend you checking out Protein Power and Protein Power Life Plan and the protein power forum (The Eades site) has a PP Vegetarian discussion group with lots of recipes. So it is possible to stay on plan and do a bit with out meat at times its grossing you out.
  #1063   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 18:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
As for salad dressings I make my own, as pretty much they all have soybean oil in them. Approximately 70% of all soybean oil used is partially hydrogenated (trans fatty acid) and the FDA doesn't even make them state that in the ingredients list. Yes I do love bleu chees and Roquefort! I often just use light olive oil and garlic at times as well.

As for your problems with meat, Protein Power has a LC, adequate protein and fat vegetarian program and you could use some of that for when you aren't eating meat. I would highly recommend you checking out Protein Power and Protein Power Life Plan and the protein power forum (The Eades site) has a PP Vegetarian discussion group with lots of recipes. So it is possible to stay on plan and do a bit with out meat at times its grossing you out.

I do visit the Eade's site once in awhile and read Protein Power a few years back. But I think I need to explore their work a bit more. I kinda like getting friendlier with meat again but I do need some options when meat and eggs are feeling a bit much and I need something different.

So, thanks for that advice!

I'll also check out making my own dressings. I didn't know about the soybean oil issue. If you can point me to some good recipes, that would be great.

And I sometimes saute in olive oil/garlic but never thought of using that on a salad. D'oh! I'll give that a try for variety.

Thanks again!
  #1064   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 18:28

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

The cookbook Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon has some very good salad dressing recipes. My family's current favorite is a home made Ceasar, but since it includes a raw egg yolk, it's not for the faint of heart. I trust the people I get my eggs from, so I live dangerously.
  #1065   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 18:37

That's a good one Tired Angel. Some other good ones are Atkins, Fran McCullough's Low Carb Cook Book, and Dana Carpender's 500 Low Carb Recipes