Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
I met my goal!
Posted by LoCHO Bozo
Posted Sat, Nov-16-02
Plan: Atkins since 8/1/02
Stats: 200/169/170
BF:27%/18%/%10
Progress: 103%
Talking I met my goal!

I was always the skinny kid, but my weight started creeping up in my early twenties.

I'd heard of the Atkins diet a long time ago, but I fell for the conventional wisdom and tried to stick to a low-fat, high-carb diet. It didn't work.

The slow weight gain and my inability to reverse it left me resigned to an unavoidable middle-age spread.

I joined a health club in Feb after my doctor recommended that I do so after poor results during a physical. I started the resistance training and the protein shakes. I made great gains on strength and muscle tone, but my body fat pecentage barely budged and I gained weight.

Then I saw an interesting episode of 20/20 about dietary fat and low carb diets in July. My jaw hit the floor! Could this possibly be true? I read Gary Taubes articles and bought the Atkins book. It all started to make sense.

I threw out all the sugary/startchy stuff in my pantry and fridge; bought a Tanita body-fat scale; stocked-up on meat, dairy, and vegies; and started the Atkin Diet on the first of August.

I lost 8lbs the first week. A total of 12 during the first two weeks. I could not believe it!

I've had to deal with my cravings and setbacks. My good-cop/bad-cop Tanita scale busted/praised me for my behavior the very next morning. The instant feedback helped me to maintain discipline.

I soon discovered all the wonderful low-carb sites on the web. I've learned a whole new way of cooking and eating. I went from perparing 20% of my own meals to over 80%. My collection of cooking knowledge and appliances continues to grow.

The best thing about this WOE is how it changes your mindset. I now think of my weight and BF as things entirely within my control.

Now that I've met my weight goal and erased the last 20 years of weight gain in a single season on Atkins, I'll be switching to TKD. My next goal is increased LBM with 10% BF. I no longer consider this wishful thinking, just a matter of time.

Thanks, Low Carbers

Steve

LoCHO Bozo, laughing the fat away
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by Talon on Sat, Nov-16-02, 12:53

Congrats!

Thanks for sharing your great story! Gives us all hope.

5 comments [read all comments]