Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 03:45

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Anecdotal remarks about dieticians may be cute, but many of us have disdain for professional dieticians, who, by and large are totally ignorant of anything remotely "dietary" except for the mantra just about all of us here are fighting against, due to widespread useful dietary information ignorance in that camp.

There is a somewhat flakey approach to life certain individuals take misunderstanding REAL nutrition, or science in general for that matter.

Did any dietician, or anyone claiming to be one, ever utter words to the effect "that stuff is filled with CHEMICALS!" ?

I hate to break it to them, but EVERYTHING, including our entire bodies, and the Earth, and the entire universe for that matter, is made of chemicals!

It's just another aspect of the manipulation to put a spin on what you want to bad-mouth. And it goes with its twin "Natural" in terms of misleadings, etc.

Much Rat Poison is natural. There are places where the radioactivity level is so high NATURALLY you shouldn't stay there for any length of time [unless you want to mine Uranium, which is in the form of a CHEMICAL and is indeed NATURAL].

Dieticians are likely one of the leading causes of obesity today. People place false hope in their recommendations all the time, and worse, get steered away from the WOE most of us here practice obtaining REAL results, not adherance to artificial and flawed recommendations from agencies sometimes disseminating information out of some combination of ignorance and hidden agendas, etc.

There are far worse things to drink than "soda" especially if it is of the type lacking sugar. But many dieticians want you to avoid "soda" as if all are 100% "evil" and instead have "healthy" stuff like unspecified "fruit juice" or even [gasp!] regular Snapple.

Yes, let's increase your "health" by switching from carbonated no-carb water to fructose-loaded liquids sometimes fortified with caffeine [which does real "wonderful" things to my insulin-resistance!]

Someone once said [Shakespeare I think] shoot the lawyers. If we were to make our own list, how far down would "shoot the dieticians" be on that list?

cjl (with reference to a study confirming the Atkins regimen actually working: "That violates the laws of Thermodynamics!" is the response, quoted in the media, by, I believe, a "dietician".)
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 00:16

Plan: No Carb plan
Stats: 128/125/130 Female 5.5'
BF:
Progress:

My younger sister had breast cancer, and she beat it big time. I was totally impressed with her attitude. She told me that when she was diagnosed, and she made the effort to get all the info on the cancer, the treatment, and nutrition that she could. She went home and she yanked every product out of her kitchen cupboards that contained sugar; both pure sugar, and ingredients including sugar. Her husband supported her 100%. She read the book "Beating Cancer with Nutrition, Patrick Quillin, Phd., RD, CNS w/Noreen Quillin. The book had to say basically is that sugar is a cancer feeder. So, figure that if you eat white flour, corn, corn meal, corn tortillas, potatoes, white rice, etc.; they turn to sugar in your blood stream, and cancer sucks that up, and flourishes. Also, the resultant sugar turns your system acidic, which provides an excellent environment for the promotion of cancer. So, I'm not surprised at that study that showed Mexican women getting cancer from corn. She uses Stevia, as a sweetner, and told me about it. Every so once in awhile I try to use it in tea. But, if I use it in tea every day, in about 4 days, it makes my throat sore. It never fails, to give me a sore throat after about 4 days. So, I when I have tea, I just drink it unsweetened.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 00:41

BF:
Progress:

Oops, I think I posted to the wrong page here. Nuts! I hate it when that happens. Disregard this, then. I was trying to post to the commentaries regarding the article about "Eating lots of Carbs Raises the Risk of Breast Cancers". Oh, Duh!
Oh, well, dieticians? That's like expecting doctors to view nutrition as important, somehow they've never gotten the connection. I went to a Doctor for my RA, and I told him I don't want a bunch of drugs. He, sourly, said "Well, diet doesn't work, it's too restrictive". Well, I guess in a way he's right, because over 80% of the grocery store space is devoted to high carb, high sugar products. If I want to get really healthy, I have to restrict myself to unprocessed, unmanufactured, unboxed, unpackaged food. Now they say it should be organic, free-range, grass-fed, etc., etc. Which is expensive. Go figure....the less they do to the food, the more it costs. What a racket!!!! If I want to lower inflammation, I have to eat wild-caught fish, grass-fed organic beef, free-range, organic fed chickens, and vegetables, and fat with pure reversed osmosis organic water; -No sweets, sugar, honey, molasses,etc., no caffeine, no alcohol, - champagne, wine, vodka, Guiness, no dairy, cheese, no nightshades, no grains, no bacon, sausage, no pork, no nuts, no fruit. It makes life dull indeed, but if I stray, within 5 to 7 days, I have IBS, painful, painful eczema, RA/FM pain, Insomnia, and fatigue. The eczema is the worst. So, I guess, I'll have to accept restrictive, because the alternative is not worth it. I'm still fighting the acceptance stage, obviously.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 00:49

BF:
Progress:

My younger sister beat breast cancer in 2001/02. I was really impressed with her attitude, and being proactive about her treatment. She researched the cancer, the treatment, and nutrition. She read "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" by Patrick Quillin, PHD, RD, CNS w/ Noreen Quillin. I got that book, and it's good.
All high carbs turn to sugar in the blood stream, and sugar feeds cancer. My sister also told me about Stevia. I can put it in my tea, but after about 4 consecutive days I develop a sore throat. If I stop using it the sore throat goes away; happens everytime.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 00:50

BF:
Progress:

How in the hell did I get back on this page again!!?, I was on the other page, when I started posting my comment to the article about carbs, and breast cancer, to the forum. How did I get back here again!!???
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 10:58

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Rest easy. You ARE on the right page and this IS the thread about carbs and breast cancer - it's just that an occasional post will make a comment that's a bit off the original topic, but relates to something in another comment.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 11:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar51Jean
How in the hell did I get back on this page again!!?, I was on the other page, when I started posting my comment to the article about carbs, and breast cancer, to the forum. How did I get back here again!!???

It appends your response to the end of all the other responses. So you might be looking at page one of the thread, but when you post it goes to the last page.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Nov-17-09, 11:15
Experimenter

BF:

Here's a study from Italy, 1996
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8637339
Quote:
FINDINGS: The risk of breast cancer decreased with increasing total fat intake (trend p 0.01) whereas the risk increased with increasing intake of available carbohydrates (trend p = 0.002). The odds ratios for women in the highest compared with the lowest quintile of energy-adjusted intake were 0.81 for total fat and 1.30 for available carbohydrates. Starch was the chief contributor to the positive association with available carbohydrates. High intakes of polyunsaturated and unsaturated fatty acids (i.e., polyunsaturated fatty acids plus oleic acid) were associated with a decreased risk of breast cancer (odds ratios for highest vs lowest quintile 0.70 and 0.74, respectively). Conversely, the intakes of saturated fatty acids, protein, and fibre were not significantly associated with breast-cancer risk. INTERPRETATION: This case-controls study shows that unsaturated fatty acids protect against breast cancer, possibly because intake of these nutrients is closely correlated with a high intake of raw vegetables. The findings also suggest a possible risk in southern European populations, of reliance on a diet largely based on starch.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 13:07

Plan: None
Stats: 220/200/190 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default question

do you have any scientific evidence that low carbs may risk the risk of breast cancer, I dont see how it can cause cancer, cancer is cuased by a gene that is off, and can only be enabled by mutation, i dont see how low carb diets can do that?
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 05:06

Plan: by eating less crabs
Stats: 178.5/167.5/143.3 Female 5 inches and 5 centimeter
BF:
Progress:

very nice information provided
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 18:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/262/165 Male 5' 10"
BF:35
Progress: 0%

I call shenanigans.

First thing one should be aware of is that body type and breast cancer is correlated, specifically women who are barrel chested.

Second thing to note, is the your Mexican of indian descent is barrel chested.

It is more about the concentration of fat and not where the fat came from.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 15:00

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 244/242/200 Male 182
BF:
Progress:

Hi!

I read here what some diets can lead to breast cancer (my wife very interested in this topic). However here more age, race, genetics and radiation is risks factors according to http://www.cancerfactsmd.com/breast-cancer/

We (and my wife) know about GMO products (genetically modified food) and trying to purchase food without such components what is not easy sometime. I think only GMO can be reason why food or diet can lead to breast cancer. But not low carb diet plans or any food.

I am thinking correctly or not?

Best Regards,
Bob
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 15:59
Experimenter

BF:

I'd be more afraid of pesticides than a fish gene in my tomato as far as cancer is concerned.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 16:07

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 244/242/200 Male 182
BF:
Progress:

Hi, Nancy LC!

yes, pesticides also dangerous. But trouble what we not have ways to detect them when in the shop ;(
On the labels you can find anything, but it not always true. (same for GMO).

Bob
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 06:57

Plan: Induction
Stats: 265/183/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Smile Hello, I am new

Brand New......Just jumping in....where have I landed?